Melbourne Instruments Nina: breakthrough hybrid 12 voice multitimbral synthesizer.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmanic wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:05 pm It's always very interesting to read opinions that one can't relate with at all. To my ears the NINA filter sounds absolutely amazingly good. I'd even go so far as to call it _the_ best sounding LPF I have heard in over 2 decades.
The difference between it and most synths put out in the last 2 decades is its filter is a discrete circuit. One of the best I've heard, too. I'd put it in the same league as the Moog One.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:50 am
bmanic wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:05 pm It's always very interesting to read opinions that one can't relate with at all. To my ears the NINA filter sounds absolutely amazingly good. I'd even go so far as to call it _the_ best sounding LPF I have heard in over 2 decades.
The difference between it and most synths put out in the last 2 decades is its filter is a discrete circuit. One of the best I've heard, too. I'd put it in the same league as the Moog One.
I found the Moog One filter too tame. I like the sound of Nina much more.

Good to see there's talk about NINA here. I've found it to be an enjoyable synth.

abject39 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:40 pm Good to see there's talk about NINA here. I've found it to be an enjoyable synth.
I think the marriage of a high resolution digital oscillator and VCOs is a brilliant idea. The only other synth that I’m aware of that has it is the Korg Prologue and XD, but they didn’t interest me for other reasons. This one seems to be a great blend of great character and enough going on to be interesting.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:21 pm
abject39 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:40 pm Good to see there's talk about NINA here. I've found it to be an enjoyable synth.
I think the marriage of a high resolution digital oscillator and VCOs is a brilliant idea. The only other synth that I’m aware of that has it is the Korg Prologue and XD, but they didn’t interest me for other reasons.
There’s also the Pro-3, but that’s a mono/paraphonic.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:26 pm
I think the marriage of a high resolution digital oscillator and VCOs is a brilliant idea. The only other synth that I’m aware of that has it is the Korg Prologue and XD, but they didn’t interest me for other reasons.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Lately I mostly ignore instruments that don’t come as rack or desktop units. My world is too small and my back too sore to deal with large racks of keyboards.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:29 pm
cryophonik wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:26 pm
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Lately I mostly ignore instruments that don’t come as rack or desktop units. My world is too small and my back too sore to deal with large racks of keyboards.
Yeah, I feel that! I wish they’d release a Pro-3 module, but I’m not complaining - it’s such a beast that the extra desktop acreage is worth it.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Hey everyone, Melbourne Instruments has confirmed a new update is coming very soon with UI updates, an oscilloscope, and modifiable morphing.

Doctor Mix, Eurythmics Sweet Dreams, reconstruction featuring Nina.
I believe the original main riff used an SH-2 and Oberheim OB-X together, staggered, panned left/right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik22v0RK88U

And older unboxing, first look video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=equGEx1G9M8

Most of the demos out there just sound so different to my impressions programming and playing it in person for a couple of hours. It's pretty warm sounding, not much top end with filter wide open and modulated.
Thicker, fuzzy mids, than the Trigon, but Trigon has a bit more subs, without using a sinewave wavetable 1-2 octaves down.
Screamy resonance that pokes out, but drive does flatten it down to a smoother Minimoogy tone.
Snappy and punchy envelopes and VCA

Wish it had 1 more LFO and envelope, and a second 12db filter or mode
Can the envelopes self modulate their stages to change the slope curve?

The new 1.4 update is live!

Huh. My voices cards were all nicely loose before, in terms of filter cutoff, and now they're tight... I don't like it as much. :lol: I wish there was a way to loosen that up again, at least for some sounds.
Zerocrossing Media

Some hippy is going to get their hair caught in those motorized knobs, I know it.
<List your stupid gear here>

Nina on special here for $800AUD off, and StoreDJ will price match, getting closer to pulling the trigger.
As an Aussie, and Aussie synth makes sense :)

And Nina's 4 CV/audio inputs will interface nicely with the Matrixbrute and Hydrasynth Explorer - that's a whole lot of extra oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, modulators and sequencers/arps. As a desktop unit, one of these as a front end makes sense.

CoolColJ wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:51 am Nina on special here for $800AUD off, and StoreDJ will price match, getting closer to pulling the trigger.
As an Aussie, and Aussie synth makes sense :)

And Nina's 4 CV/audio inputs will interface nicely with the Matrixbrute and Hydrasynth Explorer - that's a whole lot of extra oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, modulators and sequencers/arps. As a desktop unit, one of these as a front end makes sense.
It's great playing synths on top of each other. I like having the Pro3 & 2600 in either dual mono separately out or the 2600 into the audio input of the Pro 3 with it out stereo.
I haven't done that in a while, maybe this weekend.

different colours incoming - they have an announcement planned on Black Friday

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”