Your go-to compressor in 2023?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You may also check Neo Loudness, a three phases Maximizer plugin
https://neovst.com/product/neo-loudness/

I find more and more just using the free Kilohearts compressor. Easy to use, imparts very little sonic character, works well for basic dynamics control. For a change, I drop in the Diode 609 from Arturia, nice for adding something characterful to drum loops.

Go to multiband compressor is Toneboosters. While most compressor presets are semi useless, I really like throwing the radio saturation preset on bass. Nice and fat.

Neutron 4 compressor
You can see exactly where and how it compresses.

Sonible smart:comp
For precise sidechain ducking.

Waves SSL G-Master
For glue compression of the master bus, though it really misses an internal sidechain.

For live to air work I've been using the McDSP MC404 for years.
For radio post-production and most music production Fabfilter Pro-C2 is my go to for daily work.
for character stuff my first two alternatives are the Arouser and the UAD API-2500.
The "playing with stuff on the side" comp right now is the Bertom Vocal Compressor.

The Weiss Compressor Limiter after the UAD 1176AE is my favorite combination for speech.

The TDR compressors are some of my favorites right now but generally I’m using pro c 2

IK BLACK 76

Elysia mpressor is my favourite compressor plugin ever.

And Cytomic The Glue.

TDR Kotelnikov for digital - powerful, capable and invisible (which is what digital compression's strength is IMO)

LA4C for hw tracking - huge character and colour, capable of weirdness when you use all 4 channels and the frequency circuits. So if I want character compression, I'm going to use analogue and do it for real. Don't see the point in pretending to get character via digital. :shrug: Mind you - I use far more hw synths than sw most of the time, so I guess I'm biased. Compressing your typical FM bass twang in half-band bass mode on the 4C, then overdrive it beyond sensible for full compression with some beautiful analogue VCA distortion and it's the stuff of erotic dreams :hyper:. I could also excite it by half band compression on the top, but there is excess and then there is self-indulgence...

SSL Channel Strip 2's compressor on tracks, SSL Native Bus Compressor 2 on the mix bus.
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:45 am Fircomp 2
Hmmm....
Definitely trying this
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

PA Vertigo VSC 2 - sweetest thing i've ever touch :)
Cheers :)

Jazman2k wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:05 pm Elysia mpressor is my favourite compressor plugin ever.

And Cytomic The Glue.
The Glue for sure... well disguised as the Glue Compressor in Ableton.

Why are we talking about go-to compressors in 2023? Dude that is like so yesterday.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”