Your go-to compressor in 2023?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lately i like how easy RED 3 fit and operate inside the mix.
I have it from Focusrite for free,it's emulation of their hardware.
Not sure that all these digital emulations are better than a sophisticated digital compressor like Kotelnikov GE ,which gives precise control over important parameter,which many emulations don't have,but i like the color or character/saturation whatever put in them.

On groups/instruments, it's DMG TrackComp 2 or TDR Molot GE 80% of the time. The rest is half Pro-C 3 or Studio One stock compressor or some other comp from my collection, because I don't want to have them unused.
On mixbuss, Softube Weiss DS-1 MK3 before the limiter, sometimes following Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor or Kotelnikov GE.
SPEED: FAST MOVEMENT

What does this matter?... There's a billion out there both free & paid...Old & New...

Not one member on here has tried them all... If you think you have then list them & I will show you one's that are not on that list...

P11 Abyss

T-Racks Bus Compressor, SPL Iron, TDR Kotelnikov
Calm Before now 20% OFF!!! Code "KVR20" https://www.bigdaw.audio/products/calmbefore
In seconds, create contrast in your builds and transitions by automating low end, high end, gain, width, and washout.

elysia mPressor
FL Studio 21 - Waveform 12 | Surge - Variety of Sound

eLawnMust wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:43 pm What does this matter?... There's a billion out there both free & paid...Old & New...

Not one member on here has tried them all... If you think you have then list them & I will show you one's that are not on that list...
Beavers make dams, birds make nests, spiders make webs, KVR members make lists.
It is the natural order of things.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

1. ReaComp
2. RComp
3. Waves CLA76 (recently)

On master bus TDR.
Wt. is the rest in my plugin folder good for?

eLawnMust wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:43 pm What does this matter?... There's a billion out there both free & paid...Old & New...

Where do you got the one no one has from?
Secret? Why do you hide it?
Now I am curious.

I think that's actually a useful aspect of these kinds of threads (and forums in general). Consolidation and sharing of knowledge. Tons of plugins I've never heard of, some of which could replace one or two (or three) in my own workflow. I can focus simply on looking up specs and demos rather than organically discovering all these different plugins over longer periods of time.

bmanic wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:49 pm Still using Tone Projects Unisum most of the time..
Even for mixing? Is it not a bit unwieldy for mixing?

Not sure it's possible to say a go to compressor, as they can do slightly different and different sounding things.

It also depends on the source.

I mainly use UAD plug ins, of these:
LA2A is a great option, very easy to use and makes things sound better, amazing on vocals
There are a few others that also impart a bit of character.

Unless it's a main or prominent part, I'm not usually too fussed about individual channel compression.

Where I think UAD shines are on the bus compressors. They have quite a few that can give a really nice character. Manley, Neve, API, plus tape options can all be excellent.

Bitwig makes it trivial to have a wet dry on any plug in (ctrl+g), which is great for checking I'm actually making an improvement.

Outside UAD I find the Elysia Alpha to be an incredible main bus compressor, particularly the attack and release seem straight forward to dial in a subtle groove to the compression, which is great to push or pull slightly on the beat.

liquidsound wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:55 pm
viirat23 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:00 am Ableton compressor
$449.00 is a lot for a compressor :hihi:
And how would I use it in Bitwig?

:hihi:

_leras wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:00 pm
bmanic wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:49 pm Still using Tone Projects Unisum most of the time..
Even for mixing? Is it not a bit unwieldy for mixing?
I'm just so used to it. I can make it do almost exactly what I want done to audio with it. The only thing it simply can not do is "clunky/clicky" compression. It's always smooth and forgiving, no matter how hard you try to abuse it. Also if I truly want some exact emulation of a known unit and it's behavior, like an SSL Bus compressor or a specific Vari-My type unit, then I'll use an emulation plugin for that (or the real hardware if I happen to have it in the studio). But for everything else where you need to simply control the audio signal or have it's timing feel changed, give some glue, Unisum is simply King in my setup.

Though to be fair, in the past few weeks my go-to has been various channel strips. I'm experimenting with "minimalist" types of mixing right now. Trying to do as few moves as possible, not caring about minute details. Right now the most used channel strip has been the excellent Model N Channel from VoosteQ.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:27 am
I'm just so used to it. I can make it do almost exactly what I want done to audio with it. The only thing it simply can not do is "clunky/clicky" compression. It's always smooth and forgiving, no matter how hard you try to abuse it. Also if I truly want some exact emulation of a known unit and it's behavior, like an SSL Bus compressor or a specific Vari-My type unit, then I'll use an emulation plugin for that (or the real hardware if I happen to have it in the studio). But for everything else where you need to simply control the audio signal or have it's timing feel changed, give some glue, Unisum is simply King in my setup.

Though to be fair, in the past few weeks my go-to has been various channel strips. I'm experimenting with "minimalist" types of mixing right now. Trying to do as few moves as possible, not caring about minute details. Right now the most used channel strip has been the excellent Model N Channel from VoosteQ.
Thanks, for the reply. I picked up Unisum recently for a mastering task, but didn't have enough time to really get to grips with it, so it didn't really replace what I was already using. (UAD Fairchild small amount, and Elysia Alpha).

I'll have to revisit it. I hadn't really thought to use it in mixing, but I actually have a jazz duo project I'm remastering. I've used ripX to extract the vocals so I can treat them separately (better reverb/delay), from the guitar. I'll give Unisum a try on these parts.

Thanks again.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”