Your go-to compressor in 2023?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Still searching for a good go-to compressor.
Considering pulsar 78.
Need to check Arouser as well, but don't like the Cloud ilok thing.

I like these:
Softube Tube-Tech CL 1B mkii
u-he Presswerk
Kush Silika
Kush AR-1
Really though, I find that developing my skills in mixing has done more for the end results than any tool I may use. When I was learning (still am, of course) and purchased plugins that I thought would be game changers, it turned out none of them were. Once my skills grew then the plugin I was using didn’t matter as much.

For general duties - stock Cubase ones.
For clinical mix duties - TDR Kotelnikov
For hw (especially basses) LA4C.

Your DAW will likely have perfectly reasonable compressors in it for what you need most of the time. There's quite a bit of fairy dust placebo going on with plugin compression for bog-standard light compression. You'll struggle to hear any difference between most compressors when all you're doing is a dB or 2 of squashing on a synth line or bass etc. Different when you're driving them hard or smashing a drum buss or mix compression though, admittedly. Possibly you need more than one question - any old compressor will do much the same job for standard channel compression. But people will likely use different compressors for different heavy duty jobs. Just saying...

My 2023 go-to compressor is the same as it has been in every year since its release: FabFilter Pro-C. It's a great bread-n-butter compressor. I have other compressors that I prefer for flavor or specific applications (e.g., Presswerk, RenVox), but Pro-C handles most of my needs.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

PSP Impressor - extremely versatile with enameling of the most important units that are responsible for compression
AMEK Mastering Compressor - I've been testing it for several days and I can't get over the functionality and possibilities, but it's quite complicated, but it's worth learning it, because then it will sound beautiful.

Still using Tone Projects Unisum most of the time.. but lately I've been using quite a few instances of Acustica Audio Sunray. That compressor is really weird in a strange and polite way. It can't do snappy/clicky well so it's unsuitable for those tasks.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I seem to be reaching for Klanghelm Mjuc alot lately. TDR kotelnikov is always around also.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

bmanic wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:49 pm Still using Tone Projects Unisum most of the time.. but lately I've been using quite a few instances of Acustica Audio Sunray. That compressor is really weird in a strange and polite way. It can't do snappy/clicky well so it's unsuitable for those tasks.
Do you find Unisum can do snappy/clicky?
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:26 am
bmanic wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:49 pm Still using Tone Projects Unisum most of the time.. but lately I've been using quite a few instances of Acustica Audio Sunray. That compressor is really weird in a strange and polite way. It can't do snappy/clicky well so it's unsuitable for those tasks.
Do you find Unisum can do snappy/clicky?
No, actually it can't. It's too smooth to create really aggressively clicky tones. I mainly use it for enhancing or controlling the groove of a source (which is 90% of all my compression usage when mixing).

To "artificially" get some clicks or blocky chunky transients you need something else. Let me get back to you about this particular task as I very seldom find myself intentionally adding clicks to transients as everything is so clicky in today's music to begin with.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

DMG68 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:23 pm Kush Silika
Is it iLok cloud or standard iLok?
Can't find any information on the developer site.

Standard iLok from when I got it maybe a year ago
A well-behaved signature.

NI Supercharger GT - dead easy to dial in, bags of character and colour if you want, or not if you don't. Works on everything - works on a track, works on a bus.

It's the shizzle. One of my very favourite plugins of any type.

Edit: NI Supercharger (non-GT) is free with Komplete start and is right up there too - same easy workflow, it's great, and uses a bit less CPU.

SSL Bus2
Overloud LA
Trackcomp 2
ProC2

Depends on the source.
Last edited by vitocorleone123 on Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IK's Fairchild 670 and their LA-2A. Starting to mess with their Distressor emulation.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Presswerk right now.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”