Your go-to compressor in 2023?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uhe Presswerks and FabFilter C2 are my two goto’s for precision compression (particularly Presswerks). But lately I’ve found that Steinberg’s Maximizer incredibly handy to quickly clamp a track down and sit it into the mix without pushing the over all mix level. Normally I don’t use much of Steinberg’s efx collection, but this one? They hit it outta the park with this one.
On a number of Macs

Pro-C2 + presswerk are really a power combo that covers A LOT of ground

Mostly Logic's built-in one... Then again I use the Liquid Mix and the PowerCore CL a lot lately

kotelnikov was 10 euro ...my fav GO TO comp for 2023 :)

I make my own in Multipass. Also, I always have the one in Neutron.

d16 makes a limiter that I love the sound of as well:

https://d16.pl/frontier

And it's free :)

My go to compressor 2023? The same as 2022. The same as 2021. The same as 2020. The same as….I prefer to mix high quality mixes than spend time demo’ing the latest hyped plugin. Many pro producers have used stock plugins on countless commercial albums. Which plugins doesn’t matter. But your knowledge does.

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:25 pm What do people think of the new UVI Opal Comp that seems to combine multiple models?
I'm interested in this also, it seems nobody else is though, haha :lol:

There's not even a thread, pretty unusual for KVR, especially since it's UVI.

Presswerk

UAD
And a couple of others from plug in alliance

I think there are clear many great options these days though.

_leras wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:40 am UAD
Which?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:47 am
_leras wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:40 am UAD
Which?
Imho Elysia Alpha,Lindell SBC and Vertigo VSC2 is what worth for sure.
Probably Shadow Hills and new Amek are nice,but i would bet on first three.
Waiting for this year black friday to see who will offer bigger discount madness.
Cheers :)

Mine still is my vintage Bluestripe 1176 and original la3a which I track thru all the time. Plugin wise I have been digging the Kazrog ones.

Daimonicon wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:46 pm My go to compressor 2023? The same as 2022. The same as 2021. The same as 2020. The same as….I prefer to mix high quality mixes than spend time demo’ing the latest hyped plugin. Many pro producers have used stock plugins on countless commercial albums. Which plugins doesn’t matter. But your knowledge does.
Some tools will always work if you are an expert in using them. However, even experts appreciate having the right tool for the job, and having different varieties of the same tool to make things easier. I don’t know of any handyman that uses a single screwdriver for every job……

Collecting every screwdriver is counterproductive, of course, except as a hobby. And collecting and exploring plugins is a hobby for some.

It's easy to have many screwdrivers and have none of them being exactly the same. And while much has to do with what type of screw it turns, it also has as much of where it needs to be turned and how to reach it.
(Just as true of the overused phrase about hammers and nails showing more about the person repeating it - since not every hammer is made for nails.)

Still really like the Red 3 compressor (software). It's got a great 'sound' and feel to it. Good at slamming things, reducing the attack slightly to get that snap/let the transient through. I've been using it for years. DBX160 for bass has to get a mention to.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”