things to do with an old ipad

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just been given an old ipad (air 2, 2014) and wondering what I can do with it, never used one ever amazingly...

Looks like it can't be updated past iOS15 so that seems to rule out a few things like garageband etc. Not really interested in a full DAW so thought about having it as an effects playground, something that could load a couple of effects and run into a looper like that one Hainbach developed (Gauss?). Then feed it with either an external source or a synth on the ipad and record the output (not too fussed integrating it with any other DAW). Obviously aging CPU will limit what can be used.

Is this where I just need something like audiobus or aum to pull it all together?

Thanks.

I still use my Air2. Don't get complicated. Pick an instrument that makes unique sounds with a great touch interface and route it into your daw
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

a 'glass' coaster? j/k

seriously though... pads make great DAW remotes and many use them for midi controllers too... as long as the older OS works with the app used. been thinking of grabbing scaler for it (already have it on desk) just to suss out chord combos for fun and leisure time. (still ain't looked at the app pricing although initially it is 'free' but we all know what 'free' means lol)

cheers

(mine is a 2020 4th gen Air i think)

p.s. AUM is a bit wonky but works fine. think i have used it a few times as a go between of an external software synth app and cubasis to capture takes
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

I have an old Ipad 2 and cant update the firmware anymore.

It doesnt allow me to install any synths, but I have Ion Piano Apprentice on it.

I mainly use it for the internet or reading when not on my laptop.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

iPad Air 2 is supported up to iOS 15!

So you won't have barely a problem running music multible apps on it. Most music apps-FX are still not that demanding.

- AUM is always a safe bet to run the iPad as FX-rack. AudioBus is nice but AUM takes the lead, with much better routing-system.
- Korg Gadget is also ton of fun, try the free LE-Version
- Cubasis - there also is a free LE Version.

Buy the ORIGINAL Apple USB3-Lightning Camera Adapter and connect any USB-Class Compliant Audio/MIDI-interface to it.

I still used my iPad2 (2011!!) until it died 4 months ago, as VJ app with Hexler TouchVIZ and TouchOSC as MIDI-controller. I still use an Air 1 (on iOS 10.3 to not lose 32 Bit compatibility).

:)

Thanks all, sorry forgot I asked this...
MadDogE134 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:38 pmpads make great DAW remotes and many use them for midi controllers too...
I used TouchOSC on an old android tab until it's battery pretty much died (overnight charge for a couple of hours). I'm kind of sorted for hardware controllers now but may give it another go, custom layouts etc.
mindnoise wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:14 amSo you won't have barely a problem running music multible apps on it. Most music apps-FX are still not that demanding.
That's what I was hoping to hear, something like ADs Other Desert Cities into a looper etc in AUM.
I've been using my ipad for general browsing, YT etc and noticed the battery drains quite quickly with video etc so going to bear that in mind.

Cheers.

Install Barkio and place it somewhere in your house so you can talk to your pets when you're away.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/barkio-do ... tform=ipad
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I repurposed an older iPad for Lyrics and Chord sheets. There are several cheap but good apps out there. I've used OnSong for years, and recommend it. Yeah, there are some great synths and music generating apps out there too... but having lyrics and chords available on the desktop, iPhone and an iPad ( OnSong uses the Cloud to store your stuff.. but I think most of those type apps probably do also ) is great.

Buy all the Brambos AU plugins, buy Buttersynth, you are welcome ;)
Duh

They make excellent tuners, metronomes and drum machines (if you play guitar or somesuch instrument).

bungle wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:24 am Buy all the Brambos AU plugins, buy Buttersynth, you are welcome ;)
I was looking at them over the weekend funnily enough, didn't appreciate they were on BF pricing...

Mononoke sounded fun (being into weirder, experimental noises mostly)
Shane Sanders wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:54 pm They make excellent tuners, metronomes and drum machines (if you play guitar or somesuch instrument).
Thanks, I should investigate this, need a camera connection kit or equivalent.

koala sampler! its amazing for the price.

To use it as a tuner, the built-in mic is perfect. No need for extra gear. Best one, IMO: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/istrobosoft/id308296029

If everything above fails, you can always use it as door stopper :wink:

Atlatnesiti wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:37 am If everything above fails, you can always use it as door stopper :wink:
i had an old Mac Classic once that I picked up for peanuts at a computer fair thinking i'd do something clever with it. Never did so it spent about a year propping my kitchen door open... :)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”