Question regarding envelope modulations

Official support for: accsone.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I've never posted in here but have dabbled in Crusher X for a year or two. Recently I've enjoyed playing with MIDI Lock Mode, and the buffer in Stop Mode, which is the context for this particular question.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to use MIDI triggered envelopes to control offset modulations. So far I've only been able to find the Attack and Decay envelopes as modulators, but these seem to offer very little control over the movement of the modulation (basically just a linear rise and fall). This program is so impressively powerful that I'm guessing this probably a failure on my part, not the plugin, but let me explain what I'm envisioning, and maybe someone can tell me how to achieve something similar.

In it's simplest form, I would like to find a way where a MIDI note could trigger a global envelope with a full ADSR curve (ideally graphically represented, and with the ability to adjust the steepness of slopes).

Even better would be something like a MIDI triggered "Spline" modulator, where the modulation curve can move up and down freely, and then have a parameter to set the length of the envelope in grid divisions or milliseconds/seconds (but not have it repeat like an LFO when it reaches the end).

And in the most ideal case, both would be options, not just as global modulators, but as individual modulators for all the grain parameters.

Is there a way to achieve something like this currently that I may be missing? If not, is there any way this type of thing could be implemented in future updates? Or maybe this is something that isn't really possible due to the nature of granular synthesis? Regardless, any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks for the help! :)

Matt

Hi,

thanks for asking! Indeed this is a great feature request, we put this on the backlog an upcoming release. Meanwhile you could probably reach some nice results with adding a G-Life Offset and use for your target modulation the Mod Mode: Spline with a "G-Life" Scan Mode.

Best
accSone

Thanks so much for the reply! I look forward to trying your suggestion. It's not an approach I've used much so I'll definitely do some experimenting.

Also I appreciate you considering the addition of an envelope feature! I hope others would also find it useful. By the way, I have always been impressed with how continually you all are developing and improving Crusher X. It's truly a remarkable instrument! Thanks for all the great work!

Best,
Matt

nalij wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:16 am By the way, I have always been impressed with how continually you all are developing and improving Crusher X. It's truly a remarkable instrument! Thanks for all the great work!
Thanks so much Matt! And we did it again! crusher-X 10.3 is avail: viewtopic.php?t=601647

Best
accSone

New update looks great! Excited to check it out, and the stand alone version in particular. And that's amazing that you're working with Aphex! You couldn't have a better endorsement than that.

Regarding my original post, I'm not quite sure how to implement your G-Life scan suggestion. Are you saying to just modulate the G Life offset with a spline LFO? Not seeing anything named "g-life scan mode", so i'm not entirely sure what you mean. Can you describe the process a bit further?

My goal is to have a long, dynamic, and repeatable series of parameter modulations that are not grid-based, but instead begin when a midi note is played. The more control over the movement of each individual parameter the better, ideally. Your video actually gave me the idea of using Max4Live envelopes within Ableton to control individual parameters, or maybe the new macros. I would prefer to have this control in Crusher X though, especially if the envelopes could go up and down several times within their lifespan (the Max4Live ones are only ADSR).

Referring to the scan mode of a spline or step modulation (selection box at the bottom right of a spline or step modulation):

We announced it here:

https://accsone.com/crusherx/200-newincrusherx9

And you may take a look at manual on this (chapter 12):

https://accsone.com/images/accsone/down ... Manual.pdf

Best
accSone

Oh!!! I wasn't familiar with that feature! Thank you so much for sharing!

Return to “accSone”