Ceiling soundproofing without apartment damage?

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Figured the walls out; going with non-flammable folding panels to two-side tape the foam panels on; but what of the ceiling without anchors... Rigid batting?

Really would welcome any ideas; getting rubber for the floor. My whole apartment will be soundproofed for a number of reasons.

Ideally you build a room within a room with the walls supporting the ceiling. Isolation means no contact.

Don't tell us those other reasons, you little pervert.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I hate to break to you but the flat will not be soundproofed. Do you have any idea of what level of isolation needs to occur to actually soundproof ? It is absolutely colossal and as Bert mentioned to really sound proof you need to hermetically seal and de-couple structures whilst considering heating/cooling and fresh air flow (and possibly silent air con.) I know as I was an engineer who oversaw a multi room professional studio build.

It is extremely difficult.

Are you becoming confused between acoustic treatment and sound proofing (isolation) 2 entirely different things.

You can make attempts to attenuate but even that is an extremely big job.

Your best bet is batting on walls and a very significant amount of rock wool infill and probably a lead impregnated membrane (ideally on the floor above which is unlikely in a flat scenario). More to the point are you a structural engineer and can be 100pct that it won't fall down and kill you or anyone else under it ?

Even then it will NOT be soundproof.

Impact noise is VERY difficult to isolate against, for example footsteps above. It also becomes very difficult to calculate as the entire structure will be a resonant cavity (albeit damped) and sound will travel along every floor board, beam, plaster and batts also resonating and bending the rules regrading sound travel through air (cause it won't be traveling through air) There is a slight risk you can make it even worse than it is if you get very unlucky.

If you are serious you need to employ "SHOCK HORROR" a professional, yes one of those people !!! :o An acoustic engineer.

Synthman2000 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:47 pm I hate to break to you but the flat will not be soundproofed. Do you have any idea of what level of isolation needs to occur to actually soundproof ? It is absolutely colossal and as Bert mentioned to really sound proof you need to hermetically seal and de-couple structures whilst considering heating/cooling and fresh air flow (and possibly silent air con.) I know as I was an engineer who oversaw a multi room professional studio build.

Are you becoming confused between acoustic treatment and sound proofing (isolation) 2 entirely different things.

Your best bet is batting on walls and a very significant amount of rock wool infill and probably a lead impregnated membrane (ideally on the floor above which is unlikely in a flat scenario). More to the point are you a structural engineer and can be 100pct that it won't fall down and kill you or anyone else under it ?

Impact noise is VERY difficult to isolate against, for example footsteps above. It also becomes very difficult to calculate as the entire structure will be a resonant cavity (albeit damped) and sound will travel along every floor board, beam, plaster and batts also resonating and bending the rules regrading sound travel through air (cause it won't be traveling through air) There is a slight risk you can make it even worse than it is if you get very unlucky.

If you are serious you need to employ "SHOCK HORROR" a professional, yes one of those people !!! :o An acoustic engineer.
Well, as professional as I can make it I guess; lol. Call it what you will, batting; acoustic foam in between wood; like asbestos (but not); with thin flame retardant folding panels capped with foam acoustic isolation foam and a one inch thick rubber floor; perhaps in segmented pieces.

It's what is possible in an apartment without doing damage, figure soft pine will work on the walls; where as maybe one inch thick oak batting could be propped (butted) against the pine and then held up by them; rather than being stuck on.
BertKoor wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:43 am Ideally you build a room within a room with the walls supporting the ceiling. Isolation means no contact.

Don't tell us those other reasons, you little pervert.
Re-painting would be a real annoyance; but if I can assure there's no damage - There's no harm in doing that; and videos inside it would be sweet (winks at Bert), a reason is that I like to listen to both headphones and monitors; and I don't want my woofers thumping on the floor too hard haha.

Not exactly hermetically sealed lol, but that's what the Lord of audio grants me in these humble days of penitence and humility.

Synthman2000 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:47 pm I hate to break to you but the flat will not be soundproofed. Do you have any idea of what level of isolation needs to occur to actually soundproof ? It is absolutely colossal and as Bert mentioned to really sound proof you need to hermetically seal and de-couple structures whilst considering heating/cooling and fresh air flow (and possibly silent air con.) I know as I was an engineer who oversaw a multi room professional studio build.

Let's be an absolute TOOL about this, shall we? Since we all know WTF he was really asking for.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”