Roland Cloud still can’t fix CPU spikes and audio dropouts ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried latest version of Roland Cloud XV-5080, JV-1080 and various SRX plugins. They still have CPU spikes and audio dropouts at low and medium buffer sizes.

Here I made a short video tying to demonstrate those issues with XV-5080

https://youtu.be/Kz5CWt036Ts?si=_XaQhNxFq2ouL_jg

( yes I had to use annoying over-used type of clickbait YouTube thumbnail in attempt not get some users on YouTube to see the video )

vad.martyn wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:06 pm I tried latest version of Roland Cloud XV-5080, JV-1080 and various SRX plugins. They still have CPU spikes and audio dropouts at low and medium buffer sizes.
I don't run into issues like that on my PC with the VST2 or VST3 version of the XV-5080. I have a Focusrite 2i2 and a i7-10700 CPU. I have it set to a lower buffer size - 32 samples.

I recently upgraded from an intel 2014 macbook pro to a 2021 macbook pro.
I didn't have the spikes before in XV-5080. I sure have them now.
D-50 still remains fine, as does the 808 and 909, but the Jupiter 4 and 8 AND Juno 60 and 106 continue to have them (for sure I thought upgrading my mac would have solved those and yes I have them on lower cpu ticked off).

Cubendo, vst3. Either 64 or 128 sample buffer size.
rsp
sound sculptist

almost the same here. I dont have any issues on Windows 10 PC. but do on a M1 Mac, both in Logic and Cubase and both in Native and rosetta modes.
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Examigan wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:49 pm
vad.martyn wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:06 pm I tried latest version of Roland Cloud XV-5080, JV-1080 and various SRX plugins. They still have CPU spikes and audio dropouts at low and medium buffer sizes.
I don't run into issues like that on my PC with the VST2 or VST3 version of the XV-5080. I have a Focusrite 2i2 and a i7-10700 CPU. I have it set to a lower buffer size - 32 samples.
That's because Macs are better than PCs.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I didn't mean anything by it, like PC is better etc. I just wanted to mention it because in the OP it didn't say anything about it being a Mac issue, but then I noticed he uses one in the video.
Last edited by Examigan on Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

To be honest I am glad to see other people reporting the issues. I have an ongoing back and forth with Roland support over these issues but as far as they can tell it’s only my machine. The problem for me (M1 Max Mac Studio with 64gb) is only with the recent releases of the JV, XV and SRX plugins. All others work great. The problem occurs across VST3 and AU, tested in Logic, Ableton, Maschine and Komplete Kontrol. Latest versions of everything.

I have an m1 mac and roland cloud xv5080, with zenology, and have never had any audio issues with them at all. I use ableton live, but garageband and mainstage are almost the same as logic, and roland cloud runs perfect within those apps.

You might want to try one of those mac cleaner type apps, and try trashing certain roland associated preferences. Also try uninstalling and reinstalling with updated versions of all roland cloud apps.

What format do you use? Just au?
What buffer size do you use?
rsp
sound sculptist

I use AU and VST3, buffer should not come into it, given that the non-sample based plugs should use a lot more CPU yet work perfectly at standard buffers (128). As it is I still get issues at slower buffers.
I did a full reinstall of everything Roland a couple of weeks ago and no change in behaviour. I did comprehensive deep searches of my OS for anything Roland and deleted all of those.

I am convinced there is a compilation coding issue given the issue only happens with a particularly batch of plugins.
Also the fact that other Roland plugins (particularly System 1) previously had these issues, that got resolved with more recent updates.

zvenx wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:58 pm I recently upgraded from an intel 2014 macbook pro to a 2021 macbook pro.
D-50 still remains fine, as does the 808 and 909, but the Jupiter 4 and 8 AND Juno 60 and 106 continue to have them (for sure I thought upgrading my mac would have solved those and yes I have them on lower cpu ticked off).

rsp
Is yours a silicon mac? I have an older Intel that seems to work ok now tho the CPU usage for the Jupiter and Juno plugs is still quite high. On my silicon mac the CPU for those plugs is very low - relatively.

Mogular wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:26 am I use AU and VST3, buffer should not come into it, given that the non-sample based plugs should use .....
Oh my question wasn't directed at you, was at the person who has no issues.
rsp
sound sculptist

Mogular wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:29 am
zvenx wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:58 pm I recently upgraded from an intel 2014 macbook pro to a 2021 macbook pro.

rsp
Is yours a silicon mac? I have an older Intel that seems to work ok now tho the CPU usage for the Jupiter and Juno plugs is still quite high. On my silicon mac the CPU for those plugs is very low - relatively.
yes 2021 macbooks apple were completely apple silicon.
rsp
sound sculptist

These are the key differences that I see in the performance meter in logic when comparing plugins that work correctly and plugins that don't.
These screenshots are taken when the particular plugin is selected in the logic track list - so this is in live mode
first is the srx brass plugin
srx logic cpu.png
and this is the jupiter 8
jupiter logic cpu.png
I should note that when either plugin is not in live mode that I don't get any clicks and pops.
So for me the SRX plugins are still usable but I just can't play them in live mode without getting any distracting noises

given that every other virtual synth that I own has none of these issues, it's very hard to imagine that there's anything particular on my system that should be causing this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You guys leave Roland plugins running?

I just load them briefly, sample the sound I want to use and then delete the track they were on.

Return to “Instruments”