Out Now: Filterscape 1.5 rev 15011

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yup. A knob or something for Control A/B that one can click would fool Live to think there was something to control
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Surely that's a problem with Push and all synth plugins that use the standard MIDI performance controls like "Breath Control" and "Expression", or am I mistaken?

EDIT: I just read about a "User Mode" where you can assign custom MIDI CCs to the knobs in Push2. That would be the way to do it, probably. I can test this in a few days. Do the knobs in Push's default mode not send MIDI CCs? If they did, you could find out which CCs they send, then set these up in the preferences section of our plugins to be interpreted as Control A/B.

The update make me buy Filterscape - so I'm a newbie!
I really like the sound and the GUI!!

Just one question about the step sequencers: Do I have to edit each step by clicking it, or isn't there a drawing mode? Mayby I missed that info.

Greetings! :)

Personally I think when you have a laptop that should be all needed to make music. Having a MIDI keyboard at home is nice but I don't take it with me when I go the university. I think many people even don't have one. Ableton allows us to play notes using QWERTZ keyboard and clicking things together on the Piano Roll using the mouse works fine for many electronic styles as well. Hence I think Filterscape really needs to adapt to these usage patterns and should provide some knobs for the macro Controls A and B instead of allowing MIDI only. Afaik no other plugin does it the way Filterscape currently does and it was a mistake from the beginning to have no knobs for the macros. Of course the rest of Filterscape is really excellent! I have a bad feeling when criticizing a great product but sorry, this is just dumb and it's hard to understand that it was not corrected with the make over.

Control A and B used to be "MIDI CC#2 Breath Controller" and "MIDI CC#11 Expression Pedal". They are dedicated MIDI modulators, i.e. they are not macros. We renamed them to simply MIDI Controller A/B (short: "Control A/B" or "CTRL A/B") when we made the actual assignment optional. We made them optional because of MPE, a MIDI based technology.

In synth plug-ins, I am opposed to providing redundant control over standard (!) MIDI messages by adding automatable parameters. In the long run we might be able to add UI controls for these which send MIDI back to the host, for hosts which do not offer convenient methods to do the same.

Some hosts have moved forward and offer Note Expressions. We're mapping two common Note Expressions to Control A/B ("Brightness" and "Expression") in CLAP, and hopefully soon also in VST3. We have yet to see how much conflict that promotes in the long run. It is however another good reason not to also triple-redundantly add automatable parameters.

jme-audio wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:50 pm Hence I think Filterscape really needs to adapt to these usage patterns and should provide some knobs for the macro Controls A and B instead of allowing MIDI only.
Control A and B aren't macros. They are mod sources.

Seb's preset walkthrough is finished:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJr4xOX2QoI

DrGonzo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:10 pmOHLORDINEEDTHIS
This word should be a coupon code :)

Urs wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:42 am Control A and B used to be "MIDI CC#2 Breath Controller" and "MIDI CC#11 Expression Pedal". They are dedicated MIDI modulators, i.e. they are not macros. We renamed them to simply MIDI Controller A/B (short: "Control A/B" or "CTRL A/B") when we made the actual assignment optional. We made them optional because of MPE, a MIDI based technology.

In synth plug-ins, I am opposed to providing redundant control over standard (!) MIDI messages by adding automatable parameters. In the long run we might be able to add UI controls for these which send MIDI back to the host, for hosts which do not offer convenient methods to do the same.

Some hosts have moved forward and offer Note Expressions. We're mapping two common Note Expressions to Control A/B ("Brightness" and "Expression") in CLAP, and hopefully soon also in VST3. We have yet to see how much conflict that promotes in the long run. It is however another good reason not to also triple-redundantly add automatable parameters.
Ok, you are right. The word macro is not the correct term. Still these two modulation sources are the only way in Filterscape to achieve something like macro functionality (what I mean is to control several things at once, like e.g. controlling two or three filter cutoff at once, think lowpass+bandpass).

If you think MIDI messages are the best, maybe you are right, I don't know. I just have the feeling that VST parameters usually have higher resolution and for the plugin standard they would be the preferred way to control things (velocity is an exception of course). I see MIDI more as a standard for connecting devices to the host, where the host then maps control messages to plugin parameters. At least that's my use case.

Hence sending MIDI CC back to the host is not something I ment to ask for.

My interest is solely to create some complex filters (for which Filterscape is designed for) and control all the filters at once.

jme-audio wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:55 pm
Ok, you are right. The word macro is not the correct term. Still these two modulation sources are the only way in Filterscape to achieve something like macro functionality (what I mean is to control several things at once, like e.g. controlling two or three filter cutoff at once, think lowpass+bandpass).

If you think MIDI messages are the best, maybe you are right, I don't know. I just have the feeling that VST parameters usually have higher resolution and for the plugin standard they would be the preferred way to control things (velocity is an exception of course). I see MIDI more as a standard for connecting devices to the host, where the host then maps control messages to plugin parameters. At least that's my use case.

Hence sending MIDI CC back to the host is not something I ment to ask for.

My interest is solely to create some complex filters (for which Filterscape is designed for) and control all the filters at once.
You can use an LFO to control several things at once. You can also use the Modwheel to do the same.

Sounds like you are making a feature request for some macro knobs to be added. (Which would have nothing to do with Control A and B)

pdxindy wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:11 pm Sounds like you are making a feature request for some macro knobs to be added. (Which would have nothing to do with Control A and B)
Macro just means that you control multiple things at once.
You can do that using Control A and B.
What I am talking about is macro functionality and it is already there.
So there really is a link.
And the feature request is that this should have a knob as well and an API binding not only to MIDI but also to plugin parameters.
The good news here really is that we don't need something ugly on top but that the existing stuff can evolve naturally.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
For all Linux users who have problems with entering the serial number, like me. I bought Filterscape and installed it with the install.sh script on Linux. Filterscape asked me for my name and serial number after opening, I entered the data, but the plugins were not unlocked. I tried all combinations and variants (VST, VST3, CLAP, synth, filter, EQ), it didn't work.

Long story short, there is a workaround, Filterscape expects your name and serial number to appear in a text file in the HOME directory.

Create the registration file and edit it with your preferred editor:

Code: Select all (#)

touch ~/.u-he/Filterscape/Support/com.u-he.Filterscape.user.txt
Exactly two lines are required (example):

Code: Select all (#)

John Doe
ABCDE-FGHI-JKLM-1234
Finally I was able to get started, I really like the plugins so far!
Hope it helps, if you have the same problem and have fun.

Squeegeeteer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:06 am For all Linux users who have problems with entering the serial number, like me. I bought Filterscape and installed it with the install.sh script on Linux.
We are working on this. Seems there are problems with some desktop environments.
We also have a dedicated Linux subforum here: viewforum.php?f=292

And whenever you experience issues, it's always a good idea to simply contact our support, so we can help you find a solution.
https://u-he.com/support/#contact
That QA guy from planet u-he.

I’m on mac Ventura, and still get the box that tells me I need a new serial number, I’ve tried uninstalling the beta & installing the release, but alas, the box pops up still, every time.

simmo75 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:00 am I’m on mac Ventura, and still get the box that tells me I need a new serial number, I’ve tried uninstalling the beta & installing the release, but alas, the box pops up still, every time.
I guess you might need a new serial number then.

Check out the yellow box under the first paragraph of Filterscape's website: https://u-he.com/products/filterscape/

Return to “u-he”