New Cakewalk Next and Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Haven't seen anyone discuss these. Windows and Mac. I like the Next interface, but it seems it might be missing a few features. Like any sort of audio editing or warping.

I thought only Next was Mac-compatible? I'm glad to see the Sonar name return and a Mac version would be an insta-buy, but I don't think that's the case (but happy to be corrected).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I think you may be correct. My Cakewalk-loving friend had recently given me the impression that Sonar would be ported to the Mac, but looking online, he appears to be mistaken. Next is likely an entire new code base. Workflow is pretty simple, but no warping or audio editing is a drag. Next looks to be heavily slanted towards arranging clips into songs.

Next is also tightly tied to Bandlab. Some of the menu choices for adding instruments and loops involve heading off into the ether. That alone eliminates it from my short list.

jonljacobi wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:59 pm Haven't seen anyone discuss these. Windows and Mac. I like the Next interface, but it seems it might be missing a few features. Like any sort of audio editing or warping.
next is way too basic . i tried the beta

maybe it will start simple and add carefully

jonljacobi wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:17 pm I think you may be correct. My Cakewalk-loving friend had recently given me the impression that Sonar would be ported to the Mac, but looking online, he appears to be mistaken. Next is likely an entire new code base. Workflow is pretty simple, but no warping or audio editing is a drag. Next looks to be heavily slanted towards arranging clips into songs.

Next is also tightly tied to Bandlab. Some of the menu choices for adding instruments and loops involve heading off into the ether. That alone eliminates it from my short list.
Yes, Sonar is Windows only and Next is both Windows and Mac (Built from the ground up).
I believe they are all interconnected to some degree, Sonar and Next also.
Say NO to CLAP!

I emailed Bandlab about the upcoming Sonar; I was wondering if those of us who bought a lifetime license back when Gibson owned it would get the new Sonar free or at a discount. They weren't sure as of the response a few weeks ago. I guess we'll see.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

They really take their pretty time with the new versions. It's been a while now since they were announced.

By the way: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... -build-62/
Version 2023.09 will likely be the last update to Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB). CbB will eventually be discontinued as future development and support will transition to the upcoming Cakewalk Sonar release. If you wish to continue to use CbB, you must update to the 2023.09 version when it is released to the public. Earlier versions will cease to activate in the future.

Next seem interesting to me.
It is tightly integrated with Bandlab online resources.
Bandlab is free and i anticipate Next to be free too. :tu:

My copy of Sonar 8.5 had decent audio warping since 2009 lol
Not sure why Sonar 2023 would have a problem with it :shrug:

So CbB will continue to work but it just won't updated anymore?

Examigan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:43 pm So CbB will continue to work but it just won't updated anymore?
It'll continue to work until a Windows update breaks it.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

or perhaps as has been discussed on the Cakewalk forums, if the uptake of the new Sonar doesn't go so well and it is seen that the majority of users remain using CbB, they may then shut down the Authorization servers and CbB will no longer have the ability to re-authorize, which it must do every 6 months, and then . . . :-o
Say NO to CLAP!

One of the devs said that there are plans for a new free version of Sonar, with some limitations compared to the full version.

They also said that CbB will coexist for a while with the new versions, but eventually it will be shut down.

jinotsuh wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:34 am or perhaps as has been discussed on the Cakewalk forums, if the uptake of the new Sonar doesn't go so well and it is seen that the majority of users remain using CbB, they may then shut down the Authorization servers and CbB will no longer have the ability to re-authorize, which it must do every 6 months, and then . . . :-o
This sounds like the worst kind of conspiracy theory thought up by the worst kind of disgruntled past user... That wouldn't be you, would it? For example, if we were to search your name + Cakewalk, would it show an endless barrage of hate posts aimed at Cakewalk over the years? I'm just guessing wildly here... :scared:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”