New Cakewalk Next and Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SuperG wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:43 am
Trensharo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:23 pm
SuperG wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:48 pmThe UI has been transmogrified a bit, the usual 'let's make it flat looking' effort to make it more appealing to the kiddies.
Was the ageism really necessary?
Apparently, Sonar thought so.
Yea. Welcome to the list.

Not sure you understand how that works. Sonar developing features to make itself more appealing to a broader market is not ageism.

You being a bigot, however, is.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:16 am I don't think Z3TA+ 2 is worth anything as long as Vital and Vaporizer 2 exist as in-development, free options. Just use those instead. They're better synths.

Lol...

these are completely different synths.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

tapper mike wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:22 am
Trensharo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:28 am

Some legacy Cakewalk Plugins and Virtual Instruments aren't really worth much of anything in 2024.
Some?
I absolutely disagee.. i use them all along my current uhe plugins and they are great!

I've had some great results with Cakewalk! Sure, not everything in the box is equally up-to-date, but being a DAW it's easy to replace any plugin I don't quite like.

Jim Roseberry wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:19 pm
Included processing/plugins are nice for those who don't already have preferred 3rd-party plugins.
For those who already have preferred plugins, included processing/plugins are of little value.
One of the reasons I stayed on Sonar Artist, I did not need all the stuff in Platinum or the Producer/Pro or whatever it was called.

It's reasy to fix different versions with more or less bling-bling.
- everybody is happy

Looking at the video review, he was making a "thing" of adjusting a midi track in ticks or ms.
- this seemed much more complicated than in my Sonar Artist
- available in Inspector on every midi track just adjust so in my case external midi gear line up with midi notes.
- doing realtime recording I don't see why notes should be on grid to start with, but convenient for programming I guess

But gui drawing will be a killer for those using 4k screens now or in future.

The scary stuff is that Sonar seem to be just another free service if you have Bandlab subscription
- or if this is just doing preview early access right now

Hope Cakewalk will do well, but they need to up their game on communicating
- having "coming soon" still 9 month after announcement is a slap in the face of those that were interested
- and still no price tag
- still no info of different versions Artist, Pro, Platinum etc

I would this wreckless handling of community.

What Cakewalk did during the Gibson years was incredible in the amount of fixes and new features every month of the year.
- don't get why this was not a success story enough to keep

lfm wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:27 pm
What Cakewalk did during the Gibson years was incredible in the amount of fixes and new features every month of the year.
Because everybody was calling it a subscription although it wasn't - people just didn't get it.

Now Bitwig is doing basically the same thing (albeit with a lot less frequent updates) and nobody seems to have any problem with it.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:29 pm
Because everybody was calling it a subscription although it wasn't - people just didn't get it.

Now Bitwig is doing basically the same thing (albeit with a lot less frequent updates) and nobody seems to have any problem with it.
That’s how I remember it. Like every DAW Sonar had it’s problems but felt they weren’t treated fairly. Some fellows with some serious grudges seem to enjoy their downfall.

WBRS wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:18 pm

That’s how I remember it. Like every DAW Sonar had it’s problems but felt they weren’t treated fairly. Some fellows with some serious grudges seem to enjoy their downfall.
That's the human race for you. Sonar was a crash fest for quite a while with some denial involved and that cost them quite a bit of good will, especially from long time Cakewalk users. My latest looks and it seems very stable. But I'm Mac now so I just keep tabs, I don't really use it.

jonljacobi wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:37 pm
WBRS wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:18 pm

That's the human race for you. Sonar was a crash fest for quite a while with some denial involved and that cost them quite a bit of good will, especially from long time Cakewalk users. My latest looks and it seems very stable. But I'm Mac now so I just keep tabs, I don't really use it.
Indeed! It was a crash fest for the first couple of iterations of Sonar X. They fixed it over time.

Trensharo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:24 am
SuperG wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:43 am
Trensharo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:23 pm
SuperG wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:48 pmThe UI has been transmogrified a bit, the usual 'let's make it flat looking' effort to make it more appealing to the kiddies.
Was the ageism really necessary?
Apparently, Sonar thought so.
Yea. Welcome to the list.

Not sure you understand how that works. Sonar developing features to make itself more appealing to a broader market is not ageism.

You being a bigot, however, is.
Wow. We've gone from ageism to bigotry. What's next?

Appealing to the 'broader market'... that's laughable. Tweaking the graphics is a cheap move - and like all cheap shots, it's not going to get Sonar any traction. Sonar is going nowhere, *fast^.

I really wonder what the hold up is with the launch. I somehow don't buy into that "We need all the different departments to be coordinated, and we have done everything on our side to prepare the launch".

You don't launch a website with "Coming soon", and then launch a year later. Well, maybe in the video game industry.

Looking forward to trying out 'Next'.
S1 has way more stuff in it I don't need and upgrading for more of the same seems like a good time to look at something more scaled back for my writing/arranging needs.
I haven't seen a list of included instruments or fx, though I usually delete them anyway and use all the expensive I 'had to have' stuff I've bought, but if Z3ta2 and especially the 'alien cannabis' (I think) patch is on there, I'll definitely keep it.

'Next' is supposed to work on a Mac.
I haven't seen any comments from Mac users how it behaves for them.
Anyone here using 'Next' on their Mac?
How is the experience?

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:15 pm I really wonder what the hold up is with the launch. I somehow don't buy into that "We need all the different departments to be coordinated, and we have done everything on our side to prepare the launch".

You don't launch a website with "Coming soon", and then launch a year later. Well, maybe in the video game industry.
Maybe they got enough Subscribers from Bandlab so they won't bother with sales.

surreal wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:06 am
tapper mike wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:22 am
Trensharo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:28 am

Some legacy Cakewalk Plugins and Virtual Instruments aren't really worth much of anything in 2024.
Some?
I absolutely disagee.. i use them all along my current uhe plugins and they are great!
I have z3ta+ and Z3TA 2 installed, but, TBH, they scrape a "never used" existence. I simply have better options.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”