Where is Reason 13?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

it's still a DAW.

it's just that some people want to write it off because they haven't done much to the sequencer for quite a long time.

but for people who know how to use it, you can still get the essential things done.

JamminFool wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:39 pm it's still a DAW.

it's just that some people want to write it off because they haven't done much to the sequencer for quite a long time.

but for people who know how to use it, you can still get the essential things done.
The sequencer is just as good as any other sequencer when it comes to making music and i think the focus for most people has shifted and they find the Rack setup convoluted compared to using vst's.

In Reason you have to remember to name every Sequencer track so you know which device is connected to that track if you want to change a preset or do some tweaking to the sound unless you use 2 screens and with 1 screen you also need to constantly use button combinations to go between the Rack, Mixer and Sequencer track.

That was normal back then when Reason was made and most daws had these different Windows but today you can get a Daw with the Mixer on the Screen together with the Sequencer and the Instrument/Vst takes 1 mouseclick to open which makes the Rack vst more easy to work with in other daws compared to the built in Rack in Reason.

D-Fusion wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm

The sequencer is just as good as any other sequencer when it comes to making music and i think the focus for most people has shifted and they find the Rack setup convoluted compared to using vst's.

In Reason you have to remember to name every Sequencer track so you know which device is connected to that track if you want to change a preset or do some tweaking to the sound unless you use 2 screens and with 1 screen you also need to constantly use button combinations to go between the Rack, Mixer and Sequencer track.

That was normal back then when Reason was made and most daws had these different Windows but today you can get a Daw with the Mixer on the Screen together with the Sequencer and the Instrument/Vst takes 1 mouseclick to open which makes the Rack vst more easy to work with in other daws compared to the built in Rack in Reason.
Good points, both comments.
I'll bet if Reason made everything on one screen like a few other DAWs, some people would complain because it takes up too much real estate... which can totally be true, especially on a laptop. Just hard to please everyone, when everyone has different setups and workflows.
I kind of like the idea of Cakewalk/Sonar with the screen mode buttons in top right. I think Harrison Mixbus also does this... and if not mistaken, Presonus Studio One and Cubase have something similar, or is it Tracktion Waveform Pro?. Ableton 12 may end up having something like that, guess we will see....
GregRband

"Use what Talents you Possess; the Woods would be very Silent if no Birds Sang except those that Sang Best."
Henry Van Dyke

D-Fusion wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm

The sequencer is just as good as any other sequencer when it comes to making music
Coming from REAPER (and before that, Logic) I find the lack of clip looping to be absolutely enraging. The only practical way to work on a 1-bar loop and 2-bar loop at the same time is using sequencer devices - and they don't apply the Groove settings properly.

Apart from that, yeah, it's mostly ok. The Groove Mixer is really cool (and better than REAPER's roughly-equivalent extension, because it works in real-time and doesn't have to be re-applied every time you move a note.)

GregRband wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:08 pm I guess I'm missing something here...
When did a DAW lose it title as a "DAW" just because someone likes another one better, or one company stalls on an upgrade longer than another?
A quick Google will show that famed Producers like David Wills (Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Phil Collins, Diana Ross, some of the greatest hits ever recorded) still loves and uses Reason.... How on Earth can Reason not be a "valid DAW" at that level of success? Reason is "highly" unique in the DAW world, yes, but that difference doesn't make it less of a DAW by any means.

I get it, its normal to like different DAWs, change up at times, find new Inspiring things you love about "New DAW ***".... I am guilty of same too often trust me..... but they are all good in some sense if honest with yourself. They all hold unique ways of doing production processes... Sometimes that clicks with one person, and not another, sometimes one DAW will excel at something over others, but they all Record, Edit, Sequence, and Mix.... like a DAW. If bands can record, mix, and release hit songs on a damn phone app, then.... well, all major DAWs are capable DAWs.
This. In fairness this though is every DAW thread on KVR. I sometimes laugh reading through all the hate on Reaper, Studio One, Cubase, Ableton, etc. threads. The crazy thing is, If I were a new producer starting out today and I tried to get some info about what DAW to try based on these forums, Id walk away thinking .... "So I guess all DAW's are just trash??"

The irony is that almost every DAW these days is so ridiculously powerful and that certainly includes Reason. If you cant make great music with any of these pieces of software today, I promise its not the DAW.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

+1000
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Is Reason 13 even in the making? Is there a roadmap for Reason Studios somewhere?

Not at all.

You are all wrong.

Reason isn't a DAW and never was.

It is a SAW (skeuomorphic audio workstation).

:D

GregRband wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:08 pm A quick Google will show that famed Producers like David Wills (Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Phil Collins, Diana Ross, some of the greatest hits ever recorded) still loves and uses Reason.... How on Earth can Reason not be a "valid DAW" at that level of success?
Just because a highly successsful producer uses a piece of software doesn't make it valid in whatever sense. Did David write any of the hit songs using Reason?? I'm not sure we'll ever know that. He uses it, loves it, doesn't mean it was used on any successful production.
They all hold unique ways of doing production processes...
Right. Reason has a certain charm to it with the rack. To hell with its sequencer. Just load the rack as a vst in a modular DAW and have it as its own modular environment along with other VSTs.
If bands can record, mix, and release hit songs on a damn phone app, then.... well, all major DAWs are capable DAWs.
Which band(s) actually wrote a hit song(s) using phone apps? I'm definitely intrigued.

VOODOO U wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:03 am
Just because a highly successsful producer uses a piece of software doesn't make it valid in whatever sense.
and just because you don't like the sequencer doesn't mean it isn't a DAW.

jjpscott01 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:03 pm
GregRband wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:08 pm I guess I'm missing something here...
When did a DAW lose it title as a "DAW" just because someone likes another one better, or one company stalls on an upgrade longer than another?
A quick Google will show that famed Producers like David Wills (Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Phil Collins, Diana Ross, some of the greatest hits ever recorded) still loves and uses Reason.... How on Earth can Reason not be a "valid DAW" at that level of success? Reason is "highly" unique in the DAW world, yes, but that difference doesn't make it less of a DAW by any means.

I get it, its normal to like different DAWs, change up at times, find new Inspiring things you love about "New DAW ***".... I am guilty of same too often trust me..... but they are all good in some sense if honest with yourself. They all hold unique ways of doing production processes... Sometimes that clicks with one person, and not another, sometimes one DAW will excel at something over others, but they all Record, Edit, Sequence, and Mix.... like a DAW. If bands can record, mix, and release hit songs on a damn phone app, then.... well, all major DAWs are capable DAWs.
This. In fairness this though is every DAW thread on KVR. I sometimes laugh reading through all the hate on Reaper, Studio One, Cubase, Ableton, etc. threads. The crazy thing is, If I were a new producer starting out today and I tried to get some info about what DAW to try based on these forums, Id walk away thinking .... "So I guess all DAW's are just trash??"

The irony is that almost every DAW these days is so ridiculously powerful and that certainly includes Reason. If you cant make great music with any of these pieces of software today, I promise its not the DAW.
No, for example, if you write music on paper or organize your tools on the table, you need some kind of info sheets and folders for the sheets and notes.

These basic organizational tools are missing in Reason (markers, folders) - but every other DAW have folders and even the sheets on your desk can have a folder.

So what I try to say is: Reason is so conspicuously bad in this area that it's absolutely no fun to organize your projects in it and it can be very disruptive to the whole writing process.

The argument that if you can't write in Reason then you generally just can't, I find that argument slightly false. The bigger your writing is in Reason, the more horrible it is to write. Espeacially if you stop writing and open it after some weeks - you have to think for ages to get into the structure again.

But they do not care...I know.

Greets
Last edited by LaLivre on Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

the player device-based sequencer add-ons provide greater freedom, and they can also be plugged into the Reason plugin version, it's understandable why they are pushing for that .. so, yeah, let there be grouping and marker tracks in the main sequencer, but that's about it (and the non-filled places in tracks in blocks should be transparent), I wouldn't overdo it.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Reason studios are confirmed exhibitors at superbooth in may so I expect they have something new to show there. If it is reason 13 or a new device I haven't got a clue though.

I am kinda expecting reason version releases to slow down a bit now they have r+ as I personally feel they now need to concentrate on new devices that are free to subs (available to buy for perpetual owners) to keep this interesting and with value but also work on other improvements for perp versions. With a small team my guess is this may increase time frames between versions.

D-Fusion wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm The sequencer is just as good as any other sequencer when it comes to making music and i think the focus for most people has shifted and they find the Rack setup convoluted compared to using vst's.
I don't think the sequencer is as good as any other sequencer.

Reason Studios deserves flack for their laggard development pacing for this product, not copium and excuses.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:03 pm
D-Fusion wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm The sequencer is just as good as any other sequencer when it comes to making music and i think the focus for most people has shifted and they find the Rack setup convoluted compared to using vst's.
I don't think the sequencer is as good as any other sequencer.

Reason Studios deserves flack for their laggard development pacing for this product, not copium and excuses.
So what are you missing in the Sequencer compared to other Daws?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”