Where is Reason 13?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jjpscott01 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:09 pm
spacepluk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:44 pm Maybe we need a separate thread about the "Sad state of Reason Studios" :hihi:

Reason 13 is going to be great! And the plugin will have sidechain just like v12! :party:
That's right. We can then combine it with all the "Why I Left Studio One", "Reaper's so ugly", "Goodbye Ableton", "What happened to Steinberg?", "Logic Sucks" threads on here.
:hihi: These forums are ridiculous.
"Why I left Studio One"? :lol:
Just give me a "Reason" not to :hihi:
Last edited by liquidsound on Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MuLab of course :D

jjpscott01 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:09 pm
spacepluk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:44 pm Maybe we need a separate thread about the "Sad state of Reason Studios" :hihi:

Reason 13 is going to be great! And the plugin will have sidechain just like v12! :party:
That's right. We can then combine it with all the "Why I Left Studio One", "Reaper's so ugly", "Goodbye Ableton", "What happened to Steinberg?", "Logic Sucks" threads on here.
:hihi: These forums are ridiculous.
Tell me about it... so many people who think they're the center of the universe these days.

Reason Studios / Reason is like a Mercedes without air condition (track folders) and without window lifters (proper save function and markers). Even the cheapest cars have it - you can go to the scrapyard and find a car with these functions.

The people cry for air condition and window lifters for years, but it seems they just don't care and build a nice mercedes motor for all other car companies (Rack Plugin) and promote them. Every new Mercedes version drives still around without air condition and drives customers angry again (... and again and again...)

They could be on top like in the early car-days but they do everything to make their customers upset, even if the core product hast the best basis for ultimate success.

As if that wasn't enough, they invent a licensing model and a communication style that makes a lot of people even more upset.

Let's all hope they come to their senses.

SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:02 am
jens wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:41 am
SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:16 am I suspect Reason has more regular Rack users than DAW users currently
Just out of curiousity: what would make you think that?

(Or to put it differently: what would make you say that in the "Hosts & Applications"-forum of all places? :lol:)

Edit: typos
You have to buy the DAW to get the RRP, I wonder how many would buy the DAW otherwise?...Its just how I see it, RRP seems to get most (almost all) of the developers attention...there has been lots of new stuff for the Rack and very little for the DAW side, even the publicity from the developers (YT etc) is all RRP. Even Reason+ is really just food for the RRP side. This is directly applicable to the DAW forum as it is the DAW side that most people seem to have an issue with (regarding the lack of development), RRP is actually pretty good as a plugin ecosystem...does RRP have a separate thread at KVR?
Basically, it's like buying Komplete and getting Komplete Kontrol bundled in. Reason is basically Komplete Kontrol, with its instruments, effects, players and other content being the other stuff in the Komplete bundle.

I think they could have completely dominated if they had made this shift 10 years ago and actually focused their development totally on creating more players, instruments and effects; but they waited too long, IMO.

It's a raw deal compared to just buying Komplete and ignoring Reason entirely. Hell, I even think Steinberg's Absolute bundle is a better deal.

The only time Reason Rack starts to look attractive is when you get to Reason+, but... a subscription that holds your body of work hostage is not a great selling point.

Music Production is not like Video Editing, or other creative apps from companies like Adobe that use file formats that competitors can easily open and work with. You aren't going to be opening your Reason Projects in Logic the way you can open Photoshop projects in Affinity Photo.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

They've been doing "better" with showcasing the DAW part of Reason in more recent-ish posts to Youtube, Insta and even the front page of their site. They're still clearly pushing RRP but its a little more even lately.

They're too focused on REs. Stock effects that should've been updated a decade ago have been rendered obsolete.

It's like they expect you to buy expensive effects to cover what should already be part of the package. Why would anyone do that?

loungepanda wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:56 am
It's like they expect you to buy expensive effects to cover what should already be part of the package. Why would anyone do that?
but this happen with all DAWS. or do you use only the stock effects in your DAW of choice?
Last edited by JamminFool on Wed May 01, 2024 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

I agree with above, the VST world has changed and Reason has not been able to stay competitive. It struggles as a DAW and now a days large bundles of instruments and fx that work cross platform are very common and often very cheap.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:39 am It struggles as a DAW
Yes, it does, but not more than other DAWs. I have most of them and lack of ARA-aside, Reason would still be my clear favourite. Whether that's because it is so good as a DAW or the others are so bad is a matter of opinion.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

SLiC wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:39 am I agree with above, the VST world has changed and Reason has not been able to stay competitive. It struggles as a DAW and now a days large bundles of instruments and fx that work cross platform are very common and often very cheap.
I think that’s the Reason they promote the RRP more and their most recent REs (Complex-1, Friktion & Objekt) are of higher quality. They have to attract new users and it’d be hard with the DAW part or with their old devices. As for the « modular » and « everything can be connected to everything » (which is not really true as not everything is at audio rate) it’s a niche inside a niche. First above, Reason Studios have to stay in business (and I really hope so !)

I have Reason in my signature, but also just use it as a plugin. Occasionally I open it and mess around with it just to find out once again I prefer it just as a plugin... I don't really care about the DAW aspect of it :shrug:
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

SebAV wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:33 am
SLiC wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:39 am I agree with above, the VST world has changed and Reason has not been able to stay competitive. It struggles as a DAW and now a days large bundles of instruments and fx that work cross platform are very common and often very cheap.
I think that’s the Reason they promote the RRP more and their most recent REs (Complex-1, Friktion & Objekt) are of higher quality. They have to attract new users and it’d be hard with the DAW part or with their old devices. As for the « modular » and « everything can be connected to everything » (which is not really true as not everything is at audio rate) it’s a niche inside a niche. First above, Reason Studios have to stay in business (and I really hope so !)
You have to wonder if they would have made more money just releasing Complex-1, Friktion & Objekt as VSTs, they are indeed all excellent and they limit their user base..

I guess the counter argument is if they did that would less people bother with Reason!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:17 am You have to wonder if they would have made more money just releasing Complex-1, Friktion & Objekt as VSTs, they are indeed all excellent and they limit their user base..

I guess the counter argument is if they did that would less people bother with Reason!
As awesome as they are, I don't really believe I would have bought them as regular plugins...?
Probably I would have anyway...I dunno :hihi:
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

JamminFool wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:38 am
loungepanda wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:56 am
but this happen with all DAWS. or do you use only the stock effects in your DAW of choice?
Stock effects shouldn't necessarily compete with third-party but they should be up to standard. Do you think that, say, MClass or SSL EQ is comparable to EQ8, EQ+ or Fruity PEQ2?

I love the built in Instruments and effects in Reason, but I actually prefer it as a DAW regardless of the built in stuff. I just like the way it does things. The built in pitch editor is by far my favorite native pitch corrector, the time marker system is fast and sounds great, the sequencer feels clean and uncluttered, the rack system feels natural to me coming from a band background, and even at version 12 its still the most stable DAW I've ever used. Its just icing on the cake that I happen to also love Scream4, Algoritm, Friktion, Grain, Objeckt, and the Player devices.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”