What's your favorite synth for ambient music?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm very new in this forum. I love to listen to ambient music, synthwave, chill wave. Just want to ask you guys. What is your fav synth?

DX7
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Waldorf Largo. All the Waldorf synths are very good in that regard.

Wavestate.

Still Alchemy 1.55 for Windows.
Biotek 2 has been getting more use as well for sample based granular. Spectral synthesis in general has past its honeymoon period for me and those synths based on it rarely get opened now.

Pianoteq has become my core instrument and can get pretty out there with the right program and effects.
And most of the u-He synths/fx get regular use in any genre I happen to find myself in. String Studio, Chromaphone, Lounge Lizard adds interesting elements for me still.

The one synth I haven't taken the leap on owning yet is still in my demo folder is Plasmonic. Phase Plant is something I watch its development as well, but the demo period is relatively short, so I lose interest in it without an announced major change in its engine. (Anything granular triggers my interest.)

BBFG# wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:13 pm Still Alchemy 1.55 for Windows.
First synth which came to my mind when reading this question. Since that is no longer available to Windows users, I'd also recommend U-he Zebra 2/Legacy.

Dawsome NOVUM

How good is Novum? I just got Abyss and really like it so far. But Novum seems very tempting too. Overlapping a little maybe?

Omnisphere

Most synths can do ambient well, so I don't have any one fav for that kind of sound. If you do an internet search, I'm sure you can find some that lend themselves more to that though, esp with presets.

depends what kind of ambient.
reaktor blocks can be very ambient.
as can audio thing "noises" with some nature samples and traffic sound.

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:52 pm depends what kind of ambient.
reaktor blocks can be very ambient.
as can audio thing "noises" with some nature samples and traffic sound.
:hug:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Phonec 2 is a good choice, also
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

llevante wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:27 pm How good is Novum? I just got Abyss and really like it so far. But Novum seems very tempting too. Overlapping a little maybe?
Being able to add and layer my own samples sold NOVUM to me ... altho' Abyss is very good too. Their effects processor LOVE is also pretty awesome. :) The Jellyfish by MIMU is a cheaper, one sample alternative to NOVUM.

Ambient music? Is that music for the cats while you're away, or is it like regular music, but without a point?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”