How many synths do you need?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jac459 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:49 am
stoopicus wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:35 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:18 am I’m so calm.
Very good :D

So now you can see above, no one is really disagreeing that you can do more with a modular eurorack sim like VCV, right?

All I was trying to say is that for most situations that come up frequently, Phase Plant will have you covered.

That's all. No one is slamming modulars in general or VCV in particular here.
Fully agree....
....That being said .... :D

From a very very very personal standpoint (dont get triggered), I am not a fan of full modularity for inspiration. I find the possibilities overwhelming. Sometimes I find having a bit of boundaries help inspiration because it forces you to work differently and give some guidelines.
I have this problem in the bitwig Grid,, each time I am making a decision I think about the 723,456 other possibilites and I wonder if I took the best lol.
Man! How do you write music? 12 notes but infinte possibilities :o You should use Ableton: it has a Freezing function. You’ll feel at home :hihi:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Jac459 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:49 am
stoopicus wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:35 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:18 am I’m so calm.
Very good :D

So now you can see above, no one is really disagreeing that you can do more with a modular eurorack sim like VCV, right?

All I was trying to say is that for most situations that come up frequently, Phase Plant will have you covered.

That's all. No one is slamming modulars in general or VCV in particular here.
Fully agree....
....That being said .... :D

From a very very very personal standpoint (dont get triggered), I am not a fan of full modularity for inspiration. I find the possibilities overwhelming. Sometimes I find having a bit of boundaries help inspiration because it forces you to work differently and give some guidelines.
I have this problem in the bitwig Grid,, each time I am making a decision I think about the 723,456 other possibilites and I wonder if I took the best lol.
That’s fine. It’s not my first choice either, at least most of the time, but a modular patch doesn’t have to be super complicated. Most of mine are simple, they’re just novel. Things that you don’t find in fixed architecture synths, or odd combinations. Like, what would a DX sound like if it had a Moog ladder filter?

What I’d like to see in Phase Plant are more modules being able to be modulated by the oscillators, and more variety in modules altogether.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:52 pm What I’d like to see in Phase Plant are more modules being able to be modulated by the oscillators, and more variety in modules altogether.
Yeah. There is more flexibility they could give which a modular would totally give you, for sure. As a good example of something missing that actually IS relatively common and practical, one thing I don't get is why they limit the snapins you can apply directly to each generator output. They have some good ones in the menu (Nonlinear Filter, Distortion, etc) so clearly they allow some, but why they don't just allow all is weird. Maybe they just need to write UI for them in that section or something.

stoopicus wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:50 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:52 pm What I’d like to see in Phase Plant are more modules being able to be modulated by the oscillators, and more variety in modules altogether.
Yeah. There is more flexibility they could give which a modular would totally give you, for sure. As a good example of something missing that actually IS relatively common and practical, one thing I don't get is why they limit the snapins you can apply directly to each generator output. They have some good ones in the menu (Nonlinear Filter, Distortion, etc) so clearly they allow some, but why they don't just allow all is weird. Maybe they just need to write UI for them in that section or something.
Yeah, that's exactly my point. Stuff like audio rate filter mod sounds good, but you've got this stiff oscillator into a stiff filter model, even though there's a decent analog filter model. You just can't put it in the generator lane. You can kind of fudge a looser VCO type model with the right wavetable and some modulation, but an analog filter model is more subtle. Maybe they're worried the non-linear analog stuff would spike CPU too much. Dune does it well, but it's analog filters are not at the same level as their Legend or Obsession plugins.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I was actually thinking about this one as from a software developer standpoint, it would make no sense at all to write bespoke versions of each of their effects for the generator lane, when they have already defined a snapin API used elsewhere in all their hosts. You'd just modify the snapin API to accommodate things the generators need that are different (if any).

So either there's a product-based limit like you mention, or it is simply a developer effort based thing like they just haven't had time to spend on developing the generator section UI's for each of them.

A better question might be 'how many synths do you use'? I've got many installed but only find myself using a few of them consistently.

liquidsound wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:02 pm ] Man! How do you write music? 12 notes but infinte possibilities :o You should use Ableton: it has a Freezing function. You’ll feel at home :hihi:
12 notes is a bit overwhelming so generally I go to a pentatonique and if a diatonic existed I would go there.
Or a monotonic, like bleep beeep.

On my Spotify playlist I have mostly ringtones, that's the right complexity. 🤣🤣🤣

Jac459 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:50 pm
liquidsound wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:02 pm ] Man! How do you write music? 12 notes but infinte possibilities :o You should use Ableton: it has a Freezing function. You’ll feel at home :hihi:
12 notes is a bit overwhelming so generally I go to a pentatonique and if a diatonic existed I would go there.

On my Spotify playlist I have mostly ringtones, that's the right complexity. 🤣🤣🤣
You must love Granular synths! And let me guess… Grain.

My advice to OP, if you're willing and able, do the UVI Falcon sale. Check out some of Venus Theory's youtubes about it. The 2.x version videos will still give you ideas about what can be done.

Regardless of Falcon, also look into the Kilohearts subscription model. It might interesting to have not only their synth, Phase Plant (check Neuro Alkemy on youtube) but also their fx package, Snap Heap, for your guitar stuff. Their subscription model is pretty unique - $10/month, but every 12 months (can have interuptions) you get $100 voucher towards permanent licenses.

liquidsound wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:25 am
Jac459 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:50 pm

You must love Granular synths! And let me guess… Grain.
Gain is awesome.

But there is way too many options :D

With synths it´s pretty much like with women, you know?

HAL76 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:09 pm With synths it´s pretty much like with women, you know?
Wait! You mean there are no longer free synths? :o

mek42 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:23 am My advice to OP, if you're willing and able, do the UVI Falcon sale. Check out some of Venus Theory's youtubes about it. The 2.x version videos will still give you ideas about what can be done.

Regardless of Falcon, also look into the Kilohearts subscription model. It might interesting to have not only their synth, Phase Plant (check Neuro Alkemy on youtube) but also their fx package, Snap Heap, for your guitar stuff. Their subscription model is pretty unique - $10/month, but every 12 months (can have interuptions) you get $100 voucher towards permanent licenses.
I've just started this subscription and damn, but Phase Plant is just fantastic. Can be as simple or as complex as one would like, and doesn't seem to be too CPU heavy. Some of the FX are just average and I'm not loving the unison but the modulation options are just wild. Snapheap and Multipass are the icing on the cake. Plus you can play Space (Phase) Invaders if you get bored.

If more companies did the subscribe to own option, I'd be drowning in more synths than I'm already drowning in. Massive X, Serum, Pigments, Vital, Phase Plant, Sylenth- too many? Never.

HAL76 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:09 pm With synths it´s pretty much like with women, you know?
Wait, are you saying that they let us think that we're controlling them, but in reality, they're actually controlling us?! :eek:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I don't 'need' any more gear but I'm considering another synth, a few more guitars etc
because I'm not normal.
There, said it.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”