How many synths do you need?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HAL76 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:09 pm With synths it´s pretty much like with women, you know?
But synths are capable of so much more warmth :hug:

To the OP, I would say yeah, start with just one. Vital is a good starting point.
quod tu es, ego fui, quod ego sum, tu eris

One, but where is the fun in that :hihi:
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

Like Pokemon:
You gotta have them all!

PebbleInAStream wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:14 pm To the OP, I would say yeah, start with just one. Vital is a good starting point.
Thanks, I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion overall.

I've downloaded a lot of free and really cheap synths but mostly I use them for preset surfing.

When I'm working on creating my own sounds I just use Vital.

Negoba wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:57 pm ...really cheap synths but mostly I use them for preset surfing.
Just as friendly advice, don't take it the wrong way-- this is actually the one thing I would recommend not doing. :D Thankfully I didn't spend all that much on "cheap" VSTs that didn't get me the workflow or sound I wanted, but still that's $100 or so I wish I could've just spent on one really solid synthesizer that I would actually use and enjoy using (I think most of the really solid VST synths can be gotten for about $100-- Zebra Legacy is about $100, Rapid on sale is just under $100, Phase Plant, Diva, Dune, and other synths can be gotten for $100 second hand...). Anyways I hope that tip proves useful to you somehow, in some way. :tu:

PebbleInAStream wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:17 pm Anyways I hope that tip proves useful to you somehow, in some way. :tu:
So a few honest questions:

1) Why not get the synths just for the presets? I just got a few $10 AIR bundles which include Loom II and Hybrid 3. Loom was recommended in this thread as a "pick one additive" and Hybrid 3 just has so many cool presets.

2) I'm willing to spend money on music gear (I'm an old guitarist, just ask my wife about that). But I'm wondering, as a beginner, what I'm actually going to be getting if I spring for one of the good pay synths. Especially over Vital.

PebbleInAStream wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:17 pm
Negoba wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:57 pm ...really cheap synths but mostly I use them for preset surfing.
Just as friendly advice, don't take it the wrong way-- this is actually the one thing I would recommend not doing. :D Thankfully I didn't spend all that much on "cheap" VSTs that didn't get me the workflow or sound I wanted, but still that's $100 or so I wish I could've just spent on one really solid synthesizer that I would actually use and enjoy using (I think most of the really solid VST synths can be gotten for about $100-- Zebra Legacy is about $100, Rapid on sale is just under $100, Phase Plant, Diva, Dune, and other synths can be gotten for $100 second hand...). Anyways I hope that tip proves useful to you somehow, in some way. :tu:
I agree with you, the only purchases I really regret in my GAS journey are the super discounted synths that don't deliver and just end up being bloatware for me.

One big exception is DS Thorn. This synth is absolutely a premium synth in every way but sell for below 50usd.... A mystery....

Negoba wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:14 pm
PebbleInAStream wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:17 pm Anyways I hope that tip proves useful to you somehow, in some way. :tu:
So a few honest questions:

1) Why not get the synths just for the presets? I just got a few $10 AIR bundles which include Loom II and Hybrid 3. Loom was recommended in this thread as a "pick one additive" and Hybrid 3 just has so many cool presets.

2) I'm willing to spend money on music gear (I'm an old guitarist, just ask my wife about that). But I'm wondering, as a beginner, what I'm actually going to be getting if I spring for one of the good pay synths. Especially over Vital.
Ah! As for the presets thing that's my mistake, I must have gotten confused between my conversations... :dog: :lol: Yeah of course! If you like working with presets then by all means, whatever synths has cool presets that you like/use could be a good purchase. What I meant was if you were trying to get more into patching/programming/whatever-you-want-to-call-it than using presets. But if that's not you, then my bad cus that advice is not really applicable is it :)

As for what's better in the 'workhorse' synths... well it really depends which one :D most have more, or different capabilities than Vital due to their architecture. But Vital is a pretty solid software synth as far as such things go.

"Need?" Probably about two or three. I could get by fine with say Vital, Full Bucket 3200 for retro sounds, and pick one of Zebra, Hive, Dune, or Diva.

But as someone else said where's the fun in that :) I have had fun trying other synths and finding some great sounds or presets I wouldn't have otherwise had.

Jac459 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:40 pm One big exception is DS Thorn. This synth is absolutely a premium synth in every way but sell for below 50usd.... A mystery....
Thorn is one of those I got, but could never get along with it for whatever reason. I do however like using it and its spectral filters occasionally to make weird wavetables to import into other synths.

PebbleInAStream wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:46 am
Jac459 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:40 pm One big exception is DS Thorn. This synth is absolutely a premium synth in every way but sell for below 50usd.... A mystery....
Thorn is one of those I got, but could never get along with it for whatever reason. I do however like using it and its spectral filters occasionally to make weird wavetables to import into other synths.
Tastes :-).
The UI could be better as it is a bit low res but to me the sound is very distinctive and it is very easy to make splendid bass with it.

So I got sucked in to the Black Friday hype and got Hive 2. It will take me a long while to wrap my brain around that monster.

And then Loom II came in one of the $10 packs. Along with the freebies (Vital, TAL, Podolski), I think I should be set for awhile.

And I have a bunch of others for preset surfing. But I'm assuming most of my sound design will happen in Hive or Vital for awhile.

Negoba wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:43 pm As a long time guitar player […] trying to make electronic music
Why? :?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Because I enjoy it and it’s fun to do new things?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”