VST3 vs VST2 CPU performance

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

Have any from you who converted from VST2 to VST3 have noticed idle performance change?

Yes i did, it was a significant drop in CPU use
18%
Yes i did, it was a marginal drop in CPU use
6%
Nothing has changed in idle CPU performance
18%
CPU meter increased significantly
No votes
CPU meter increased marginaly
No votes
Im just here for the votes
59%

Total votes: 17

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

so i have a very beefy PC and it might not matter, but i have read that VST3 doesnt consume any recources while being idle, where's VST2 does consume. I was wondering, have any from you who converted from VST2 to VST3 have noticed idle performance increase?

vsts im going to use
Dune 3, the legend, Obsession, Serum (if it has vst3), Uhe plugins
Fabfilter bundle, Ozone, native instruments 14 ce, Shaperbox 4. And many more

Cubase/Nuendo has a preference, to have VST3 suspend use of resources while not processing audio, probably where that notion you have comes from. It seems like what I have is slightly better performing with all VST3.

I always install both formats. I have never noticed significant differences in CPU usage. IMO, it's negligible.

jancivil wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:10 pm Cubase/Nuendo has a preference, to have VST3 suspend use of resources while not processing audio, probably where that notion you have comes from. It seems like what I have is slightly better performing with all VST3.
VST3 support this, but has to be implemented by the plugin as well. VST2 does not however. In my experience most vst3 plugins appears to support this but it’s purely anecdotal .

I'd just check it out. Every DAW has a performance meter, and most should have a "task manager" as well, where you can see how much the used plugins consume, also when idling.

As a matter of habit, I deselect VST2 from the beginning. And RTAS AAX.... Just AU and VST3. I would rather like not to install VSTx at all, but Reason doesn't do AU, and I like using Reason from time to time....
Is there a performance hit? I don't really care... my machine is powerful enough :)
Just like you said... you should not worry
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

I thought the vst3 was for better - what is it called, sleep mode. Less cpu when not being used in a track.

mixtur.se wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:26 pm .....

VST3 support this, but has to be implemented by the plugin as well. ......
This..
rsp
sound sculptist

With VST2 as well, a smart developer could make it consume as less cpu cycles as necessary. So the benefit in terms of gained performance is perhaps some meagre percents, at times when your project has less activity and thus won't really benefit.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

But you're probably not working on an Intel i3.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”