Reaper 7 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

jethrobull wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:42 am I've been using Reaper for around 16 years now, and I can say I've hardly customized it at all. Some keyboard shortcuts for actions and re-sizing of tracks, but that's about it really. Even stuck to the default theme. I think it looks great and does everything I need. I'm just a happy customer I suppose 😁
Forgive me but let me take advantage from your long experience with Reaper since i switched to it at the beginning of this year, hoping you would be kind to answer my questions.

I changed few parameters/shortcuts and options in general to fit my workflow better, then i made a backup of my preferences and theme.

I'm usually very careful about upgrading versions and stuff cause i know things can broken between version and such, and that's my biggest fear here since i'm new with Reaper. Since i woudn't be able to redo all my personal settings from scratch, in your experience i.e. if you would import your preference backup made in like Reaper 3 into Reaper 7 they would be important and work as expected or is possible that something just wont work?

Same for older projects. A project made with Reaper 1 get opened correctly on Reaper 7 or some fx, or automations may be somehow broken/different from the original?

Chiming in with that, too: when installing Reaper, you can choose to install it as a portable installation, and direct it to some location on a drive where it will be 100% self-contained. You can even have many such portable installs. They won't interfere with each other, or your main Reaper installation, in any way. You can safely test Reaper 7 by installing it as a portable version of itself, and then import your configuration file to that. Check that everything is working nicely, and try it with your earlier projects, and so on, on your specific system. Then you can be sure everything is compatible. (During the time I've used Reaper, I haven't had issues with importing settings, or backwards compatibility, even with pretty intricate large projects, so I'd say your odds are looking good :) )

Frankie.T wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:59 am
jethrobull wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:42 am I've been using Reaper for around 16 years now, and I can say I've hardly customized it at all. Some keyboard shortcuts for actions and re-sizing of tracks, but that's about it really. Even stuck to the default theme. I think it looks great and does everything I need. I'm just a happy customer I suppose 😁
Forgive me but let me take advantage from your long experience with Reaper since i switched to it at the beginning of this year, hoping you would be kind to answer my questions.

I changed few parameters/shortcuts and options in general to fit my workflow better, then i made a backup of my preferences and theme.

I'm usually very careful about upgrading versions and stuff cause i know things can broken between version and such, and that's my biggest fear here since i'm new with Reaper. Since i woudn't be able to redo all my personal settings from scratch, in your experience i.e. if you would import your preference backup made in like Reaper 3 into Reaper 7 they would be important and work as expected or is possible that something just wont work?

Same for older projects. A project made with Reaper 1 get opened correctly on Reaper 7 or some fx, or automations may be somehow broken/different from the original?
Everything should work absolutely fine. I am always backing up my settings and preferences and never had an issue 👍
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Thank you both for the replies!

I didn't get any notification, so I noticed yesterday there's an upgrade. I still use v 6.70. It's like v6 was relaeased 1.5 years ago, the new upgrade was released quite fast, why are they in such a hurry? (maybe they need money, every upgrade brings money, of course, even though 7 is free of charge for me).
What are the best new striking features?
I know there are fx container, seems to be nice, what else is worth being mentioned?
Are there new fx?
I hope new Reaper won't look completely different, I am used to what I am used.
I am not going to go too much in detail to find out, just don't have the nerves and time.
Last edited by DCrown on Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCrown wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:50 pm I didn't get any notification, so I noticed yesterday there's an upgrade. I still use v 6.70. It's like v6 was relaeased 1.5 years ago, the new upgrade was released quite fast, why are they in such a hurry? (maybe they need money, every upgrade brings money, of course, even though 7 is free of charge for me).
I know there are fx container, seems to be nice, what else is worth being mentioned?
Are there new fx?
I am not going to go too much in destail to find out, just don't have the nerves and time.
There's a new comping system. It's really nice. It's a combination of Logic and Pro Tools basically, except because it's REAPER it's ugly.

That and the other new things don't quite outweigh the other reasons I'm not using REAPER for my main work but it's a good update overall!

oneway wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:15 pm
DCrown wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:50 pm I didn't get any notification, so I noticed yesterday there's an upgrade. I still use v 6.70. It's like v6 was relaeased 1.5 years ago, the new upgrade was released quite fast, why are they in such a hurry? (maybe they need money, every upgrade brings money, of course, even though 7 is free of charge for me).
Are there new fx?
I am not going to go too much in destail to find out, just don't have the nerves and time.
There's a new comping system. It's really nice. It's a combination of Logic and Pro Tools basically, except because it's REAPER it's ugly.

That and the other new things don't quite outweigh the other reasons I'm not using REAPER for my main work but it's a good update overall!
And let me add, there are literally tons of videos on YouTube, especially by Kenny Gioia's "REAPER Mania" channel, showing all the main new things in REAPER 7.

mabian wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:24 pm
oneway wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:15 pm
Are there new fx?

And let me add, there are literally tons of videos on YouTube, especially by Kenny Gioia's "REAPER Mania" channel, showing all the main new things in REAPER 7.
Oh thanks, I remember Gioia, he always made some good videos, especially when I was still a beginner I was watching some of his videos. I am completely fine with v6, but if there's something very special and useful, I will maybe install it

I’d give it a bit. They’ve been updating frequently with bug fixes but with so many new things it’ll take a while for it to be ironed out. There’s some bugs with undo history when comping, for example. Stuff like that.

DCrown wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:50 pm It's like v6 was relaeased 1.5 years ago, the new upgrade was released quite fast, why are they in such a hurry?
Hurry???

That was FOUR year ago!

That's a longer release cycle than (at least most) every other DAW.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:27 pm
DCrown wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:50 pm It's like v6 was relaeased 1.5 years ago, the new upgrade was released quite fast, why are they in such a hurry?
Hurry???

That was FOUR year ago!

That's a longer release cycle than (at least most) every other DAW.
I see, I have obviously lost track of time.

It happens. :lol: :help:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

DCrown wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:50 pm ...maybe they need money...
Fairly certain they definitely don't. I think that's part of Reaper's charm; it feels more like a wealthy nerd's passion project, and anything resembling a cash grab just isn't their style.

"Our goal is to develop software sustainably while preventing profit rationale from forcing engineering compromises. By doing so, we can keep our product visions intact, giving maximum benefit to our users. We lovingly craft the software that we want to use."

$60 for 8 years of updates and features. Not bad. Not bad at all.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”