Charlatan³ Free VA synth updated to v3.1.2 (Win/Linux)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

After several years in the making, I'm pleased to announce the next major iteration of Charlatan, the free Virtual Analog synth!

Charlatan³ has been redesigned from the ground up in order to better meet the needs of today's productions. Besides the new powerful synthesis engine, the completely revamped user interface offers an ultra-fast workflow and encourages a creative sound design process much like what the original synth is known for.

Feature summary
  • Two dual oscillators per voice with custom drawable waveforms, cross-modulation (Phase Mod, linear Frequency Mod, Ring Mod), windowed hard sync and noise generator
  • Up to 7 unison voices per oscillator
  • Two filters per voice with types: 4-pole ladder LP/HP/BP, Acid LP, 2-pole Sallen-Key LP/HP/BP, Notch and Comb
  • Flexible filter routing (serial / parallel / dual)
  • Four modulation generators with freely drawable shape where each can operate either as LFO or envelope generator
  • Four Modulation transformers (XFORM) allow reshaping any control signal through a user-defined mapping
  • Arbitrary routing of modulation signals via Drag'n'Drop
  • High-quality master FX section: Distortion, Phaser, Chorus, Reverb, Delay, EQ
  • Very low CPU and RAM usage
  • Optional internal 2x oversampling
  • Preset browser
  • Cross-platform support: Windows / Linux / VST3 / CLAP
  • FREEWARE
Visit official website

FAQ

- Will there be a Mac version?

No plans currently. From what I gathered over the years, supporting the Apple platform is a time-consuming commitment which I can't really justify for a spare-time project. Instead, I'd rather support open platforms like Linux, in the hope to help them gain adoption.

- Is there no way to do pulse-width modulation (PWM) ?

You can achieve it by mixing two sawtooth waves with 180 degrees phase offset relative to each other, one of them inverted, then modulating the phase of either using an LFO. See attached preset for your convenience.

Note that this is neither a hack nor workaround, but just an explicit realization of how PWM is implemented in most other synths under the hood (both software and hardware).

- Will it load patches from Charlatan 2.0?

Not at this point. While being much more capable overall, Charlatan³'s architecture differs from that of its predecessor in ways that it could not reproduce every preset accurately. One could consider an import option in a best-effort fashion, without any guarantee to achieve identical results. However, I'm not sure whether it's worth the effort, given that the former architecture is so simple that you can basically dial in every patch within seconds.

- The plug-in does not load / is blacklisted by my DAW

Please make sure that your system meets the systen requirements listed above

- Where are the presets located on my hard drive?

The easiest way to find out is to open the preset browsers menu and click "Open file browser".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by karrikuh on Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:34 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Completely crashed my setup on load on an empty new project.
Cubase 12 Pro on PC Win 10 64b.

Wow, it looks very good and well featured: thank you!

Linux install script woopsie:

Code: Select all

Do you accept the license terms? ([y]es or [N]o): ./install.sh: 6: read: arg count
Installation canceled.
Luckily I know how to copy files myself :D

[edit]
the script runs in bash, but the shebang calls for /bin/sh
[/edit]

I had a crash once when changing presets, but I can't reproduce.
Seems to be running fine otherwise, thanks!
How do you get one binary to be recognized as both clap and vst3, some sort of wrapper trickery?
Last edited by farlukar on Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sounds good.

How does it work with Drag'n drop, I couldn't find the combinations/keybindings?

EDIT: I also had to edit the script to install.

Wow charlatan was my go to free synth for a long time! So nice to see a version 3, thank you very much!

An old friend returns 🌞

What a great little synth and Charlatan 3 is sounding better than ever...

Thank you so much for this real gem 🙏
Last edited by digitalboytn on Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No auto tune...

I remember Charlatan was highly regarded for many years. Nice to see a fresh update.
<List your stupid gear here>

Well, that was unexpected. :)

Great new UI.

Huggable News here. :hug:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Amazing

:party: :party: :party:

It would be nice if there would be a 3rd oscillator, but other than that, amazing work!

Korg Supporter wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:56 pm It would be nice if there would be a 3rd oscillator, but other than that, amazing work!
Won,too,free,for :hihi:

We'll...there's really only two,but you can pull some.lovely sounds out of this baby 🌟
Last edited by digitalboytn on Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”