Charlatan³ Free VA synth updated to v3.1.2 (Win/Linux)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

brok landers wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:21 am
brok landers wrote:
-snip-

Great. Will check it out soon. ❤️
One thing i have discovered: Although i can highlight the line in custom editor of the osc, i can't bend it to a curve - it stays linear.
@karrikuh - any Idea in the above?
Right, that's a known design limitation. Personally, I don't see much value in allowing curved shapes (other than for the sake of consistency with modulator shape editing), hence now plans to change something in this area in the near future.

If you like ... here's a preview to my upcoming One Synth Challenge #182 submission featuring Charlatan 3.1.x. It might get removed any time near End of April with the latest 'official' Version then.
Let me know what you think.
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/osc- ... 3f1b2c7e94

Check out the OSC: viewtopic.php?t=608771

karrikuh wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:08 pm
wikter wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:04 am 3.1.1
XLFO - with Phase=0 when MONO, it don't restart on Key strike. Deactivating XLFO MONO, it restarts on keypress. Play mode is MONO Retrig. That happens in both Mod2 & Mod3.
That's by design. If Phase=0 and MONO active, LFO phase is reset to 0 at song start.
I mean XLFO is NOT restarting when MONO mode is active. When I deactivate MONO switch on XLFO then XLFO resets on keypress.
XLFO - with Phase=0 when MONO, XLFO don't restart on Key strike. Deactivating XLFO MONO, it restarts on keypress. Play mode is MONO Retrig. That happens in both Mod2 & Mod3.
Instead it seems to run free.
The preset "BAS Silverduck " has a pair of XLFO working as sequencers and MONO switch makes a difference.
https://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=3791

I've found also something related to the S&H/SQUARE LFO that wasn't a problem before. While testing patches created with previous versions, I've found that when S&H (square random) is assigned to pan, I can hear glitches. I've pushed it to a "limit" setting SQUARE as wave and adjusting PAN to 200% and some spikes appear in the sound that are not phase related.
I've attached an image.
Preset: ARP Arpinator (remove Osc Phase from LFO3 destinations to isolate the source)
Clipboard01.png
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:07 pm If you like ... here's a preview to my upcoming One Synth Challenge #182 submission featuring Charlatan 3.1.x. It might get removed any time near End of April with the latest 'official' Version then.
Nice job, I thought Charlatan would take a little more time to be featured in OSC, but anyway, the chance to hear tha job of the community with a single instrument is always a good push to polite it and make it bug free. :clap: :clap: :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wikter wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:24 pm <...>
I mean XLFO is NOT restarting when MONO mode is active. When I deactivate MONO switch on XLFO then XLFO resets on keypress.
<...>
Understood, but I probably should have emphasized my reply differently. The intended behavior, given Phase=0 (or any other number) is:
if MONO is INACTIVE, then LFO phase is reset on each new note.
if MONO is ACTIVE, then LFO phase is reset at start of song, but NOT on keypress.
If Phase=Free, then phase is never reset, regardless of MONO setting.
wikter wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:24 pm I've found also something related to the S&H/SQUARE LFO that wasn't a problem before. While testing patches created with previous versions, I've found that when S&H (square random) is assigned to pan, I can hear glitches. I've pushed it to a "limit" setting SQUARE as wave and adjusting PAN to 200% and some spikes appear in the sound that are not phase related.
I've attached an image.
Preset: ARP Arpinator (remove Osc Phase from LFO3 destinations to isolate the source)
Clipboard01.png
Hmm, not reproducible here, neither with your preset nor with my own attempt. Are you able to reproduce the issue by starting from the INIT preset and only adding Pan modulation there?

Thanks, now I understand how mono switch works on XLFO.
I'll try to recreate the pan issue from an init preset this night, those spikes are really weird.

gauderbock wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:43 pm Great sounding synth. I've got a problem with the MSEGs though on Ubuntu 23.10, XFCE, Reaper 7.11. The click and drag doesn't work for me, neither on the line curvature nor the breakpoints - they highlight on mouseover but can't be moved.
OK, I was able to reproduce the problem under XFCE and a fix is already ready. I further noticed a problem with keyboard focus handling under XFCE which I want to tackle before publishing a new release.
EDIT: Fixed in 3.1.2
Last edited by karrikuh on Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excellent, looking forward to it!

3.1.2 (2024-04-10) (Linux only)
  • BUGFIX: Mouse and keyboard interaction broken under XFCE and possibly some othe Linux DEs

After testing phase, speed, level, tune, waveforms & multiple ways to recreate those peaks again, i'm unable to, i'll try to deconstruct the patch to find the actual cause.

Holy cow! I just found out about Charlatan! Thank you! This is an incredible synth. I easily created a drawbar organ with the harmonic editor, added Chorus with its rate controlled by the Mod wheel for a passable Leslie! So cool!

Hey karrikuh,

thank you for Charlatan! Whilst working on my OSC track, trying to program specific sounds, I stumbled upon a few things. I wish:

1. There was a value readout somewhere.
As much as I enjoy tweaking things by ear, working with eg precise envelope values can be essential for fine-tuning especially percussive elements.
2. It had a modulation matrix.
I found it challenging to keep track of modulation destinations. And spent quite some time searching for modulation targets and destinations, when revisiting patches.
3. The modulation window had its own X-icon for closing it :)
Up to this point, when modulating something, I tend to remove the modulation again. When I actually just want to close the modulation overlay. Not sure if it's just me?
4. It was possible to modulate: ADSR, XFORM Slew, Allpass Feedback
5. The reverb had a pre-delay
Granted: would've become mostly handy in the OSC setting, when using Charlatan exclusively for mixing
6. The glide curve could be tweaked, like the ADSR curve
7. The LFO went further into audio rate

I'm genuinely surprised by how good it sounds when modulating things close to nyquist. Didn't expect the 808 cymbal/hihat workaround to sound as smooth as it does!
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:07 pm If you like ... here's a preview to my upcoming One Synth Challenge #182 submission featuring Charlatan 3.1.x. It might get removed any time near End of April with the latest 'official' Version then.
Let me know what you think.
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/osc- ... 3f1b2c7e94

Very cool, lots of energy, great sounds, and composoition, OSC remains quite a jewel box :hyper:

bug ? Master volume control only goes to -24 db
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I like this synth a lot. Thank you

vata44 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:53 pm I like this synth a lot. Thank you
You can use the Modulator 1 volume, it controls the main level EG. Each oscillators pair also have a volume control.

Return to “Instruments”