Windows laptop to rival M1 Macbook Pro

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I am wondering if there are any windows laptops that have similar performance to the M1 Macbooks with similar ability to stay quiet under stress. I hate working with MacOS but so far have not been able to find anything similar on the windows side, specifically in the areas of fan noise. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Have you tried to disable the fans and let it warm up to 110 degrees °C like a macbook? Would help with the fan noise..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSkcMwz ... el=MaxTech
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

Amorr wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:08 pm Hi, I am wondering if there are any windows laptops that have similar performance to the M1 Macbooks with similar ability to stay quiet under stress. I hate working with MacOS but so far have not been able to find anything similar on the windows side, specifically in the areas of fan noise. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Short answer is no.

I'm pleasently surprised by Asus Vivobook I have which has a really pleasent "wooooossh" instead of hi pitched fan. But this is a weak laptop for browsing internet only and don't know about the stronger good enough for daws and such.

Haptix wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:05 am Have you tried to disable the fans and let it warm up to 110 degrees °C like a macbook? Would help with the fan noise..

My macbook never gets hot in the slightest mate.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Looks like I'm stuck with MacOS.

Does it have to be a laptop?

The thing is, there isn't anything like the Apple M1 CPU's in the Windows world (i.e. relatively performant passively cooled CPU's), but, you get more power (for the respective price tag, of course) than any Mac when you go with a desktop PC.

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:39 pm Does it have to be a laptop?

The thing is, there isn't anything like the Apple M1 CPU's in the Windows world (i.e. relatively performant passively cooled CPU's), but, you get more power (for the respective price tag, of course) than any Mac when you go with a desktop PC.
Yeah, I do a lot of work remotely so a laptop is essential sadly.

Ok, then, as others said, I don't see an alternative to a Macbook, IF you want to have it passively cooled. Coolers in laptops have gone more and more silent in laptops over the years as well though.

This is an interesting article:
https://www.production-expert.com/produ ... o-computer

Looks like multi core beat it on multis.

Well, there are ARM laptops for Windows. But they don't solve the software problem.

osiris wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:30 pm
Looks like multi core beat it on multis.
What does that mean? Sounds like gibberish to me
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Amorr wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:08 pm Hi, I am wondering if there are any windows laptops that have similar performance to the M1 Macbooks with similar ability to stay quiet under stress. I hate working with MacOS but so far have not been able to find anything similar on the windows side, specifically in the areas of fan noise. Any suggestions?
Don't worry about fan noise is probably the best advice. It's hardly relevant in 2023 but it does make a great marketing tool for Apple. Beyond that, how much are you looking to spend? I just got one of these with a Core i9 and RTX 3050 for around US$1500 with a full 12 month factory warranty. It came with 16GB of RAM and a super-fast 1TB SSD.

It's a bit thicker than an iPad or a Surface Pro but it's a serious machine. Even when it's going flat-out I have to strain to hear the fans. Full retail is roughly double what I actually paid for mine, which is why working on PC gives you so much more bang for your buck; only mugs pay full retail. It's replacing both my Core i5 model and my laptop.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:15 am
Don't worry about fan noise is probably the best advice. It's hardly relevant in 2023 but it does make a great marketing tool for Apple. Beyond that, how much are you looking to spend? I just got one of these with a Core i9 and RTX 3050 for around US$1500 with a full 12 month factory warranty. It came with 16GB of RAM and a super-fast 1TB SSD.

It's a bit thicker than an iPad or a Surface Pro but it's a serious machine. Even when it's going flat-out I have to strain to hear the fans. Full retail is roughly double what I actually paid for mine, which is why working on PC gives you so much more bang for your buck; only mugs pay full retail. It's replacing both my Core i5 model and my laptop.
What is your real life experience with battery life in a DAW session?

Haptix wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:05 am Have you tried to disable the fans and let it warm up to 110 degrees °C like a macbook? Would help with the fan noise..

I’ve been using M1 MacBook since it came out, for heavy projects with ASIO around 90% sometimes.
It barely gets warm.
Never had fans turn on
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”