Spotify Is Eating the Entire Music Business?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

I think the demise of bandcamp, which is almost certain, is problematic for hobbyists. It's one of the few places that you can share music at low cost to free if you are truly at the hobby level. Also, I like finding music on bandcamp. That said, they really need a "stream from your collection" feature. That would have triggered more purchases from me. I like stuff that doesn't even have a big enough audience to make it to spotify.

Is it true you can upload your own music to Spotify? I've heard that mentioned elsewhere.

I've always hated Spotify, and refuse to have an account, as they pay the artists a pittance.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Don't really care about the "business" side. But yea, Spotify sucks on many levels.

1. It costs actual money for you to upload your own music (which can't be done directly).
2. You can't search for, sort or list music by Label / Record label name.
3. You can't automatically search for band member names or producer names etc to find side projects of people.
4. They remove tracks, songs and music all the time without any explanations.
5. They are not transparent in their business models. Big labels/artists get more paid then independent ones.

blow me spotify :hihi:
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:34 am I think the demise of bandcamp, which is almost certain, is problematic for hobbyists. It's one of the few places that you can share music at low cost to free if you are truly at the hobby level. Also, I like finding music on bandcamp. That said, they really need a "stream from your collection" feature. That would have triggered more purchases from me. I like stuff that doesn't even have a big enough audience to make it to spotify.
along with hobbyists there are tons of professional working musicians on bandcamp. bandcamp has a "stream from your collection" feature in the iOS and Android Apps. I think they added playlists as well.

bandcamp has been the only fair deal in the music delivery side of things for a long time. it's a place where there's actual community and you can find lot's of interesting music and merch and sample packs etc.

bandcamp's "demise?" did i miss something? because as far as i can tell that's all speculation, and nothing has actually changed (yet?) besides who's wearing the suit

funky lime wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:46 pm bandcamp's "demise?" did i miss something? because as far as i can tell that's all speculation, and nothing has actually changed (yet?) besides who's wearing the suit
people are worried because they laid off half the staff including lot's of customer service people and the editorial staff which kind of curates a lot of what is promoted on the front page and in all those emails and articles they do.

so, already there's been some thing that the new people have done highlighting the 'synergy' between increased sales at taco bell and the switch they made to 'rock music' in their stores/ads.

so, it's a bit different than it's been.

fingers crossed they don't drive the entire platform into a ditch, raise fees and do a bunch of dumb sh!t

dayjob wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:29 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:34 am I think the demise of bandcamp, which is almost certain, is problematic for hobbyists. It's one of the few places that you can share music at low cost to free if you are truly at the hobby level. Also, I like finding music on bandcamp. That said, they really need a "stream from your collection" feature. That would have triggered more purchases from me. I like stuff that doesn't even have a big enough audience to make it to spotify.
along with hobbyists there are tons of professional working musicians on bandcamp.
Sure, but they're probably on spotify as well.
bandcamp has a "stream from your collection" feature in the iOS and Android Apps. I think they added playlists as well.
I don't listen to music on my phone. I know that may sound weird to some people, but I listen to it from my web browser. The lack of that feature costs bandcamp more of my attention.
bandcamp has been the only fair deal in the music delivery side of things for a long time. it's a place where there's actual community and you can find lot's of interesting music and merch and sample packs etc.
I really don't care about the business side of things. Certainly I don't buy "merch." I don't need more stuff and merch is just stuff. I don't wear advertisements very often and I don't want collectors editions or trinkets.

What I want is to listen to music that I like in a streaming format from my computer. I can do that with Spotify, that's why I subscribe. Before I used Spotify, I used Bandcamp. It's just that it reminded me too much of having to change the album or flip it to the other side after 20 minutes.

It's worth it to me to buy music if I can stream from my collection on the web. Other than that, I pretty much don't buy music anymore.

Frankly, if Spotify didn't come with the ad-supported Hulu, I'd drop it as well. If they ever try to drop that from my grandfathered account, I will drop them within minutes of the discovery.

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:37 pm
along with hobbyists there are tons of professional working musicians on bandcamp.
bandcamp has a "stream from your collection" feature in the iOS and Android Apps. I think they added playlists as well.
I don't listen to music on my phone. I know that may sound weird to some people, but I listen to it from my web browser. The lack of that feature costs bandcamp more of my attention.
I really don't care about the business side of things. Certainly I don't buy "merch." I don't need more stuff and merch is just stuff. I don't wear advertisements very often and I don't want collectors editions or trinkets.

What I want is to listen to music that I like in a streaming format from my computer. I can do that with Spotify, that's why I subscribe. Before I used Spotify, I used Bandcamp. It's just that it reminded me too much of having to change the album or flip it to the other side after 20 minutes.

It's worth it to me to buy music if I can stream from my collection on the web. Other than that, I pretty much don't buy music anymore.

Frankly, if Spotify didn't come with the ad-supported Hulu, I'd drop it as well. If they ever try to drop that from my grandfathered account, I will drop them within minutes of the discovery.
i listen a lot from my desktop but being a desktop means it has my music library which includes all the stuff i've bought from bandcamp.. so i use apple music for that and listen to all the playlists i've made over the previous decades.

i also use an iPod touch a lot because i also do not use my phone for music listening and don't subject myself to any algorithm for choosing songs for me to hear. I own a lot of music in multiple formats.

anyway.. the merch might not be important to you personally but it is to some artists who sell t-shirts and vinyl or tapes or whatever.

i mean, you having a preference for how you want to listen is no different from anyone else having a preference. is it? you want desktop streaming.. other people want cassettes. I get what you're saying. i think if bandcamp makes playlists available on desktop that'd be cool and would probably be useful to you and other people. you can play whatever you own in your browser.. just have to do it from the artist page or via the "show collection" page of your account which will list all your purchases.

spotify and other streaming services offer nothing to most artists. the gains go to the top.. taylor swift, beyonce etc.. and everyone else gets only pennies. sure.. some people get a nice supplement to their income and can pay a few bills or whatever.. but most working bands/musicians aren't making a living from spotify.

all streaming is is a convenience for listeners.. especially passive listeners. not that people aren't making playlists and all that.. but a lot of people just put something on and that's that. they let the algorithm do the work.

but this is the age we are in. it's all content and everyone needs it delivered the way they want it because they're entitled to it.. and entitled to if for nearly free if not totally free.

I come from a time when you were only aloud to listen to a certain number of songs every day on the streaming 'service' called the radio and we were not rich enough to own physical copies of music. People have been talking about the death of the music industry for over 20 years now and I still don't care. I've always hated the music industry, I always will.

Constructed Identity wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:57 am I come from a time when you were only aloud to listen to a certain number of songs every day on the streaming 'service' called the radio and we were not rich enough to own physical copies of music. People have been talking about the death of the music industry for over 20 years now and I still don't care. I've always hated the music industry, I always will.
radio does still exist. it's mostly the same 8 radio stations duplicated for every city.. but it's still there.

you aren't the only person of that era floating around the internet. i mowed a shit load of lawns as a kid before being old enough for a legit job. i managed to buy a cassette or two or blank cassettes to tape the things my friends brought over or record off the radio. we weren't rich by any stretch of the imagination but records and tapes were around.

also, radio paid better per song than streaming.. still does. even w/all the payola scandals and shitty ads between songs it still kicked down some $$ to the musicians and bands and of course whatever knob managed to worm his way into producer credit to get points on something.

but yeah.. hunter thomspon and steve albini have each described the music business accurately.

cnt wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:22 pm
2. You can't search for, sort or list music by Label / Record label name.
Its not intuitive, I had to google it but you can search by label. Search label:name eg label:sony

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:37 pm

For you and others looking for a way to listen to their own music collection (including in a browser) there's this: https://www.ibroadcast.com/home/

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”