BFD3 current sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, so for example if there is a snare hit recorded for lets say velocity 1(min)-30(max), full install will have all 30 samples installed, medium like every second sample missing and small every second and third sample missing. That (for my humble needs) mean, I will be more than satisfied with the small install :]

operandx wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:52 pm BFD3 sounds great and is worth the minor hassle associated with the 90 day reset. Some folk are really pissed about the 90 day check, I find it annoying but it's not a deal breaker. As long as you go online and reset the licenses within 90 days you are fine. I've not had issues with licenses being forgotten. No issues with the installer. True no VST3, not sure when that will surface.
This is all correct. I know that some have abandoned the BFD, I’ve been with since the ver 1, BFD3 is still a very well-thought product. Many expansions are unbeliveble well sampled, even some factory libraries are really great.

I had some hassle with inMusic, e.g. third party (Platinium sample) licensies, but it worked out with some correspondence.

My only concern regards the future development of the core product and the expansions.
Really wish that inMusic has serious plan to develope the BFD in the longer term.

The BFD product line is still actively developed, and the person who is responsible for big chunks of the product and the samples is still behind it (@Amberience, also very active here at KvR). The recent release of the BFD player (which is constantly improved) is a sign of that.

tq wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:08 am The BFD product line is still actively developed, and the person who is responsible for big chunks of the product and the samples is still behind it (@Amberience, also very active here at KvR). The recent release of the BFD player (which is constantly improved) is a sign of that.
Good to know - any upcoming expansion releases?

Maybe Amberience can comment on future plans... The *current* packs are here:

https://www.bfddrums.com/drum-software/ ... oove-packs

They are really good and also quite affordable!

I know that BFD4 is being developed but, as it was with fxpansion, things are very quiet and the users generally have little idea where things are at. The silence can often leave us with a feeling that nothing is happening - then there’s an update, or the player release, that shows things are still chugging along. It seems slow progress though, but we have no idea as to what the next major version involves. Drew has previously said that there were a lot of ideas/additions.

I just want to see a VST3 version at this point, BFD is my last VST2 plugin and Cubase will eventually stop support. Who’ll be first, Steinberg stopping support for VST2, or BFD with a VST3? I’d love to see BFD3 as VST3, but I think it may not happen until BFD4, hoping I’m wrong on that. I’m confident that development will continue and I don’t feel like BFD is doomed due to the inmusic takeover. If Drew ever leaves though, then we’re possibly in trouble.

Apologies for the radio silence. Part of that is just the world of corporations and evil empires, and part of it is also genuinely just being ridiculously busy!

The current plan is to do a BFD3.5. This will have M1 AAX support, and VST3. I can't really speak to the timelines around this, but rest assured it is in the works.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

The recovery at the 90 days juncture seems easier than it once was. I'm using it currently in Cubase 13. It isn't bad performance but the performance of VST 3 instruments in the silicon versison of VE Pro is globally afaict considerably better performing.
So BFD exists only as AU in that situation, and the performance of BFD3 AU here is beyond poor, it's unusable, there isn't enough latency possible to allow a single cymbal hit without breakup (to be precise it's the cymbals, leave 'em alone and it will play but needs latency far, far too high to play the instrument). For me the VST 3 is therefore essential.

jancivil wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:47 pm The recovery at the 90 days juncture seems easier than it once was. I'm using it currently in Cubase 13. It isn't bad performance but the performance of VST 3 instruments in the silicon versison of VE Pro is globally afaict considerably better performing.
So BFD exists only as AU in that situation, and the performance of BFD3 AU here is beyond poor, it's unusable, there isn't enough latency possible to allow a single cymbal hit without breakup (to be precise it's the cymbals, leave 'em alone and it will play but needs latency far, far too high to play the instrument). For me the VST 3 is therefore essential.
Heya. That is not something I'm experiencing with AU, and I don't think it is widespread. It is probably worth doing a debugging session. Usually audio dropouts and breakup are specifically related to hardware; not the plugin format.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Amberience wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:16 am Apologies for the radio silence. Part of that is just the world of corporations and evil empires, and part of it is also genuinely just being ridiculously busy!

The current plan is to do a BFD3.5. This will have M1 AAX support, and VST3. I can't really speak to the timelines around this, but rest assured it is in the works.
Thanks for dropping in and giving some info, Drew. Waiting patiently, but everything is working fine for now anyways, for me. I have no problems with BFD3 and also had no issues with the migration either. Bring on the 3.5 update though, good to know that’s coming ahead of 4.

Amberience wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:30 pm
jancivil wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:47 pm The recovery at the 90 days juncture seems easier than it once was. I'm using it currently in Cubase 13. It isn't bad performance but the performance of VST 3 instruments in the silicon versison of VE Pro is globally afaict considerably better performing.
Heya. That is not something I'm experiencing with AU, and I don't think it is widespread. It is probably worth doing a debugging session. Usually audio dropouts and breakup are specifically related to hardware; not the plugin format.
Are you using it in VE Pro? I have no other use for AU, so the complaint specifically regards BFD3, latest version, in VE Pro, latest version in its Apple silicon version, under Mac OS 14.3.
I am already treating BFD3 separately than every other instrument I know from entirely (with one exception, the no-longer supported Absynth 5) and I'm not even going to load it in the Rosetta version and if it even works have to unload and reload VE Pro in order to entirely use BFD3 in isolation and go back and forth over and over. I'm already using Cubase in Rosetta mode for it...
that it does not behave at all in the same manner as a plugin in Cubase should be a hard indicator it isn't a hardware issue. I'm not using a second computer for VEP using a CAT 6 so that's eliminated as well. NB: BFD3 as AU in VE Pro used to work just fine. Things on their side changed kind of drastically since*

And, logically if everything else I'm currently using {VSL Synchron Player, Synchron Piano, VSL VI Pro, Orch. Tools SINE, Kontakt 7, MIR Pro 3D & MIRacle} - all of which in both VEP and Cubase 13 Pro (Kontakt 7 might be slightly better performing in VEP vs its silicon v. in Cubase but I like interacting with the X-Y controller in certain libraries with the trackpad) - are performing at least as well as my expectation, I do not buy that I should spend my time running down some supposed hardware fault (I don't even know what 'debugging' would entail) as though it somehow creates the one problem. It's not worth doing afaic. I'd sooner adopt another drum plugin. And I don't guess you're speaking of having used it in VEP. There wasn't co-ordination with VSL/VE Pro way back when I had to work for days with ROLI support to get BFD3 Host Automation working at_all and I would have to see it to believe there is any now.

I tend to doubt use of it in VEP is "widespread" but I'm a customer same as everyone else so that will not be relevant to me. AFAIK use of its Host Automation in VEP is done only by me, ever :shrug:

It does strike me that this being a problem possibly strictly in VE Pro may well indicate *the problem is not one-sided, and like other things tends to mean a co-ordination of both parties is de rigeur. This reminds me a bit of IKMM who clearly didn't care to do this at all either, blaming something else. Nothing personal but blaming the user at once gets low approval from me, objectively speaking.

This is not a trivial matter to me in the least.

In the overall scheme of things where does BFD player fit in ? Will BFD player and BFD coexist together ? Will they be combined into one ?

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:39 am
Amberience wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:30 pm
Are you using it in VE Pro? I have no other use for AU, so the complaint specifically regards BFD3, latest version, in VE Pro, latest version in its Apple silicon version, under Mac OS 14.3.
I am already treating BFD3 separately than every other instrument I know from entirely (with one exception, the no-longer supported Absynth 5) and I'm not even going to load it in the Rosetta version and if it even works have to unload and reload VE Pro in order to entirely use BFD3 in isolation and go back and forth over and over. I'm already using Cubase in Rosetta mode for it...
that it does not behave at all in the same manner as a plugin in Cubase should be a hard indicator it isn't a hardware issue. I'm not using a second computer for VEP using a CAT 6 so that's eliminated as well. NB: BFD3 as AU in VE Pro used to work just fine. Things on their side changed kind of drastically since*

And, logically if everything else I'm currently using {VSL Synchron Player, Synchron Piano, VSL VI Pro, Orch. Tools SINE, Kontakt 7, MIR Pro 3D & MIRacle} - all of which in both VEP and Cubase 13 Pro (Kontakt 7 might be slightly better performing in VEP vs its silicon v. in Cubase but I like interacting with the X-Y controller in certain libraries with the trackpad) - are performing at least as well as my expectation, I do not buy that I should spend my time running down some supposed hardware fault (I don't even know what 'debugging' would entail) as though it somehow creates the one problem. It's not worth doing afaic. I'd sooner adopt another drum plugin. And I don't guess you're speaking of having used it in VEP. There wasn't co-ordination with VSL/VE Pro way back when I had to work for days with ROLI support to get BFD3 Host Automation working at_all and I would have to see it to believe there is any now.

I tend to doubt use of it in VEP is "widespread" but I'm a customer same as everyone else so that will not be relevant to me. AFAIK use of its Host Automation in VEP is done only by me, ever :shrug:

It does strike me that this being a problem possibly strictly in VE Pro may well indicate *the problem is not one-sided, and like other things tends to mean a co-ordination of both parties is de rigeur. This reminds me a bit of IKMM who clearly didn't care to do this at all either, blaming something else. Nothing personal but blaming the user at once gets low approval from me, objectively speaking.

This is not a trivial matter to me in the least.
I didn't blame you. You're putting words in my mouth. I was offering to do a debug session directly with you, in order to try and resolve it, and see the issue directly. But you're probably better off going through the official support channels. Cheers.

MeanMrMustard wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:40 pm In the overall scheme of things where does BFD player fit in ? Will BFD player and BFD coexist together ? Will they be combined into one ?
They will exist alongside each other. But that's all I can say on that for the moment. Cheers.

Amberience wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:45 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:39 am This is not a trivial matter to me in the least.
I didn't blame you. You're putting words in my mouth. I was offering to do a debug session directly with you, in order to try and resolve it, and see the issue directly. But you're probably better off going through the official support channels. Cheers.
I'd be better off with the so-far entirely useless to inMusic support channel, really?
I may as well take everything upon myself again.

for instance: When VSL rewrote VE Pro so that host automation would, in Cubase or Nuendo, display the actual parameter name in VE Pro (instead of a parameter number, which wasn't so easy to keep up with) it wasn't working; I was focused on BFD3 Host Automation and got that sorted. So I worked with the man who was coding this bit; he had to find a copy of BFD3 or take out a trial or that in order to even sort me. So we went back and forth, he would make a change and I would test it for a couple of days. The upshot of this was, to this day the Host Automation functionality from VE Pro to Cubase is the best implementation of it including VSL's own instruments. So, again, the thing that has to happen is co-ordination of both parties. Except in this case I was the representative of BFD3.
And Note Well, that person never said 'well, I'll guess this is not a widespread issue, so...'

I'm pretty sure it's a software issue; I will reiterate: 'nothing else - in either host - suggests a hardware problem at all', including BFD3 in Cubase. Have you read anything else of what I typed but the bit you characterize as me putting words in your mouth?? I'm not kidding.

I suppose I have to be the representative of BFD3 in this iteration once more and work directly with the person writing the code hoping it's all VSL's code?

Return to “Instruments”