Logic Pro 10.8 is out!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’ve been having some very odd issues with Logic since 10.8 I don’t know if others have had this issue. For some reason plug-ins will have complete audio dropouts. I can see the UI for the plugins responding but the mixer channels shows no audio coming from the plug-in at all. Restarting Logic gets it working again.

In one instance it happened with the built in B3 Organ plug-in Logic has. Every time I would press play on my controller audio would stop coming from the plug-in. But the plugin still shows activity. Draw bars work, the spinning animation works. When I press a I can see the plug-in respond. However the mixer channel shows no audio activity. This started happening on 10.8. Haven’t run into the issue with any other version before. I can reproduce it every time.

I did recently update to macOS 14.4.1.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

I would also love an update to Logic's GUI and/or there needs to be a cheaper alternative to a $60 colorizing app.
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

Can anyone please help me out with this?

I want to record the MIDI instrument track in real time in both MIDI (to the same track) and audio (to an audio track) while still being able to hear the what's being played/recorded.

Is this possible? If so, how?

I can get it to work (using Bus routing), but I am not able to hear what I am playing while it is being recorded to MIDI and audio.

EDIT: Got it to work. Had to create a send of the MIDI instrument track and route that send output to the audio track input. Used prefader send for the main MIDI instrument track and brought its level to zero to avoid the double volume.

How are the odds we'll see something next week alongside the new iPads?

Rather low. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they introduced a new version at some point soon with a whole range of AI features that run locally, which is what M4 promises.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 pm Can anyone please help me out with this?

I want to record the MIDI instrument track in real time in both MIDI (to the same track) and audio (to an audio track) while still being able to hear the what's being played/recorded.

I can get it to work (using Bus routing), but I am not able to hear what I am playing while it is being recorded to MIDI and audio.

EDIT: Got it to work. Had to create a send of the MIDI instrument track and route that send output to the audio track input. Used prefader send for the main MIDI instrument track and brought its level to zero to avoid the double volume.
It should be simpler than that.
You just
* create a MIDI track with External instrument
* create audio track with input from the relevant audio inputs
Up until here, it is the usual workflow.
Now just arm both and record.

You will need to disable the direct monitoring in the audio card,
and enable software monitoring in Logic.
Then click "I" on the track you want to monitor (input monitoring)

roman.i wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:25 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 pm Can anyone please help me out with this?

It should be simpler than that.
You just
* create a MIDI track with External instrument
* create audio track with input from the relevant audio inputs
Up until here, it is the usual workflow.
Now just arm both and record.

You will need to disable the direct monitoring in the audio card,
and enable software monitoring in Logic.
Then click "I" on the track you want to monitor (input monitoring)
Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping there would be an easy way, but unfortunately I am unable to get the above to work.

For the MIDI track if I choose external, what will actually play and record?
Also, for audio track, there should be some input routed to it, right? The audio track starts recording, but it is empty, even if I choose a software instrument plugin for the MIDI track.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:05 pm Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping there would be an easy way, but unfortunately I am unable to get the above to work.

Also, for audio track, there should be some input routed to it, right? The audio track starts recording, but it is empty, even if I choose a software instrument plugin for the MIDI track.
What do you mean play and record?
Logic records ARMed tracks only, those with R button glowing in red.

Then there is an External instrument MIDI. What it basically does is "wraps" your external gear into a software instrument, like if it was a plugin.

From that point you can play and record MIDI information into this track (hence a MIDI track).

Next, you want to record the MIDI and AUDIO as well. This isn't possible on the same track.
You need a MIDI track for MIDI, and AUDIO track for AUDIO.

So you open an AUDIO track and set its input the same as in the External instrument.
It looks like:
INPUT 1,2 -> _ External Instrument -> Stereo out - Plays and record MIDI
.............. \_ Audio track that will record (without input monitoring) Only records

Next step, ARM both (2xR glowing), click R on keyboard and start playing.

roman.i wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:23 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:05 pm Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping there would be an easy way, but unfortunately I am unable to get the above to work.

What do you mean play and record?
Logic records ARMed tracks only, those with R button glowing in red.

Then there is an External instrument MIDI. What it basically does is "wraps" your external gear into a software instrument, like if it was a plugin.

From that point you can play and record MIDI information into this track (hence a MIDI track).

Next, you want to record the MIDI and AUDIO as well. This isn't possible on the same track.
You need a MIDI track for MIDI, and AUDIO track for AUDIO.

So you open an AUDIO track and set its input the same as in the External instrument.
It looks like:
INPUT 1,2 -> _ External Instrument -> Stereo out - Plays and record MIDI
.............. \_ Audio track that will record (without input monitoring) Only records

Next step, ARM both (2xR glowing), click R on keyboard and start playing.

You also can extend this workflow to read from a BUS. This in case you need a few effects added to External instrument. In this case, route the External instrument to a BUS, and in AUDIO track make it as an input.
Thanks for your time and help. While I mostly understand your steps, I am actually looking to record a software instrument/MIDI track to an audio in real time, not an external instrument. Sorry, perhaps I should have made it more clear.

For what I want to do, I think what I posted above is the only option.

I will keep in mind your suggestions if I want to record an external instrument. :)

You can use a send to send an instrument track to a bus and use that bus as audio track input
(You can delete automatically created aux), you can then record arm audio and mute it, instrument will play as normal.

You can also route the instrument directly to a bus and enable input monitoring in the audio track recieving the bus, that way you’ll monitor through the audio channel.
Record arm both tracks.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:29 pm Thanks for your time and help. While I mostly understand your steps, I am actually looking to record a software instrument/MIDI track to an audio in real time, not an external instrument. Sorry, perhaps I should have made it more clear.

For what I want to do, I think what I posted above is the only option.

I will keep in mind your suggestions if I want to record an external instrument. :)
Two options:

1. Your software instrument track send 100% to a BUS.
Open an audio track, input from that same BUS. (without input monitoring). Set output to No Output.
So in this case the audio used as "backup", but never plays.

2. Route output of your Software instrument -> Bus -> Audio track -> Stereo output.
In this case software instrument always plays through an Audio track.

Final step, as always, Arm both, record.

Another neat thing you can do is to assign both to the same Group.
In the group settings, tick the Record option as well.
So, once you Arm one of them, the second arms as well.

Next week it will be 6 months since the 10.8 update and no bug fixes for 5 month so I am hopeful :)

andypryce wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:49 pm Next week it will be 6 months since the 10.8 update and no bug fixes for 5 month so I am hopeful :)
Using 10.8.1 for a while now.

Last edited by andypryce on Fri May 03, 2024 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”