Ableton 12 - Generative MIDI, Multiband Distortion and more

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ableton 12 has been announced - public beta soon available. Final version will be out in spring 2024.

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/all-new-features/

What's new:
  • MIDI Transformations - Create a variety of simple or complex variations to your MIDI clips
  • MIDI Generators - Conjure up melodies, chords and rhythms with new MIDI Generators.
  • MIDI Editing Improvements - Arrange the order of a selection of notes by pitch, velocity or duration. Stretch, split, chop or join notes in new ways;
  • Keys and Scales
    Set the selected clip’s scale in Live’s Control Bar to see its notes in any clip you create.
  • Meld - A bi-timbral, MPE-capable instrument
  • Roar - Multiband Distortion with deep modulation and sound design possibilities
  • Live’s Mixer, previously available only in Session View, can now be used in Arrangement View.
  • Browser Tagging and Filtered Searches
    Search for your sounds in the Browser without the constraints of Live's built-in categorization.
  • Sound Similarity Search
    Start with a sample and tell Live’s browser to find comparable sounds and instrument presets, with the help of a neural network.
Last edited by jules99 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

hello Bitwig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Still no mention of bounce in place/bounce to new audio track...

No mention of ditching midi merge and allowing midi routing out of a track on separate channels. Guess this will never happen.

miloszz wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:57 am Still no mention of bounce in place/bounce to new audio track...
Because it is probably the single most boring feature they are least interested in. Don't ask me why because you know the answer and you know this can be done in many different ways.

As if you are a mosquito on a beach full of naked people and then you complain about humidity. Live life and make music. And godspeed in finding a better DAW that suits your bounce-in-place vision.

omg haha. Is the glass of water filled to the middle, half full or half empty?

Last edited by wvshpr on Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kmonkey wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:03 am
miloszz wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:57 am Still no mention of bounce in place/bounce to new audio track...
Because it is probably the single most boring feature they are least interested in. Don't ask me why because you know the answer and you know this can be done in many different ways.

As if you are a mosquito on a beach full of naked people and then you complain about humidity. Live life and make music. And godspeed in finding a better DAW that suits your bounce-in-place vision.
Bounce in place is there now. You click a track and select "Freeze and flatten". It's only available on a per-track basis, not per-clip. But it's a start.

xbitz wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:50 amhello Bitwig
This is amazing. And the midi tools :clap:

What a great update tbfh

I actually think that is a pretty impressive list, I like it. And this is just the headlines (more + packs normally get added before release). Update not too bad either

Resizable Arrangement View Mixer, midi editing improvements and much better browser much needed, neural network sound fining sounds interesting! Also worth a mention...

Stacked Detail Views
View your devices and the Clip Editor, or automation and device parameters, at the same time – so you can work without the distraction of switching between views.

View styling
Live 12’s cleaner, more minimal look removes visual complexity and keeps the focus on your music.

I use Bitwig quite a bit but I much prefer the uncluttered look of Live.
Last edited by SLiC on Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

xbitz wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:50 amhello Bitwig
Just fair after Bitwig "borrowed" 90% of Ableton´s DNA and then copied over 100% of kiloHearts MSEG system...

Bitwig user cannot really claim if somebody "re-borrows" some of the few original ideas of Bitwig...

For me Ableton nailed it with this release...
I am a huge sucker of midi creating/mangling/scale assistent tools and Bitwig´s experimental approach is a bit too nerdy for me respectively on the Midi editor they lose completely against Ableton since V11 already... I am sure Ableton will have made this new stuff much more accessable for "non nerds" 8)

^^^ the arrangement patterns are the "big" thing for me https://isotonikstudios.com/product/son ... ic-trance/ especially the trance one
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

kmonkey wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:03 am you know this can be done in many different ways.
All of which are a pain in the ass compared to right clicking and tapping "bounce to new audio track" as with... every other DAW.

I get that they're more interested in hyping up new random and generative features to let us completely strip intent from creation but this is indeed a very basic and useful feature. It's also why I have to keep Logic Pro installed if I just want to work with manipulating audio to make samples.
Live life and make music. And godspeed in finding a better DAW that suits your bounce-in-place vision.
The important thing is that you got to express your superiority, right?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”