Ableton 12 - Generative MIDI, Multiband Distortion and more

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is the best stock instrument in Ableton Standard now would you say? I'm flirting w/ the idea of not adding any or many external vsti's to Ableton 12 to see what a more stripped down approach would be like.

or how good are their fx plugins for that matter. Mainly instruments though I think.

Yes I can download it for myself and find out but I'm holding off on it for now so I'm curious. How does Ableton's stock stuff stand up relative to other daws or just generally speaking.

use them all !
Drift is MPE but the others synth are very good too

nusound mind wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:58 am What is the best stock instrument in Ableton Standard now would you say? I'm flirting w/ the idea of not adding any or many external vsti's to the plugin list in Ableton 12 to see what a more stripped down approach would be like.
Drift. Absolutely amazing.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

HOTF wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:39 pm the perfromer device goes so deep :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnqCJmkxZ_s
:eek: :shock: :clap: :hail:
I just sat through the video and my jaw first opened, then dropped and finally hit the floor. What an amzing tool! :hyper:
Now I'm just thinking – will my life be long enough? :ud:
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Modulat was updated
Added a new module called Modulate, which makes use of the new modulation capabilities in Live 12. This module won't show up if you're using Live 11 or below. It behaves similarly to the Remote module, but instead of taking full control over the parameter in Live, it can still be moved, automated or controlled with a Remote module or other devices.
https://isotonikstudios.com/product/modulat/
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

sheeepsss wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:14 am Do someone know if it's possible to deactivate the peak-hold of 10 seconds on the channel meters and just have the pre Live 12 realtime peaks?
How are more people not mentioning this? I wonder if it was discussed during the beta testing.
Ableton is known for not listening to the beta testers though, funnily enough.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
xbitz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:43 pm Modulat was updated
Added a new module called Modulate, which makes use of the new modulation capabilities in Live 12. This module won't show up if you're using Live 11 or below. It behaves similarly to the Remote module, but instead of taking full control over the parameter in Live, it can still be moved, automated or controlled with a Remote module or other devices.
https://isotonikstudios.com/product/modulat/ (https://isotonikstudios.com/product/modulat/)
the camera and lighting reminds me of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction

Haven't read this whole thread, but thought I'd comment about the Plugins window. They did away with showing the parent folder of the given plugin, so for people like me who installed the plugins into folders per company name, the new way is a bit off-putting.

I added, though, to the plugin window filter a new category called Folders, and then made an entry per company name, then grouped each related plugin to the appropriate folder.

And it turns out it's the same number of clicks to get to a plugin now - one click to filter based on folder/company, then one to select the desired plugin. Previously it was one click to expand the appropriate company folder, and the second click to select the desired plugin.

So, while I still prefer the old way, the new way works just fine for me, using this technique.

OzoneJunkie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:10 pm Haven't read this whole thread, but thought I'd comment about the Plugins window. They did away with showing the parent folder of the given plugin, so for people like me who installed the plugins into folders per company name, the new way is a bit off-putting.

I added, though, to the plugin window filter a new category called Folders, and then made an entry per company name, then grouped each related plugin to the appropriate folder.

And it turns out it's the same number of clicks to get to a plugin now - one click to filter based on folder/company, then one to select the desired plugin. Previously it was one click to expand the appropriate company folder, and the second click to select the desired plugin.

So, while I still prefer the old way, the new way works just fine for me, using this technique.
there is already the default tag "creator" that has all company names for VST3 and AU.
dedication to flying

xbitz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:43 pm Modulat was updated
https://isotonikstudios.com/product/modulat/
I’m really interested in this, but it’s a little on the pricey side for a M4L pack.
Can you build your own sequencers?

zeep wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:03 pm
sheeepsss wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:14 am Do someone know if it's possible to deactivate the peak-hold of 10 seconds on the channel meters and just have the pre Live 12 realtime peaks?
How are more people not mentioning this? I wonder if it was discussed during the beta testing.
Ableton is known for not listening to the beta testers though, funnily enough.
I don't know, it slows my workflow and I find it uncomfortable in many ways: so irritating! I hope there's a way to get back to "normal" peak hold values

After years of using Bitwig going back to Ableton is a frustrating experience, especially when it comes to modulation and ease of use. Much easier to do basic things and easier on the eyes. 16 macros in Live is incredibly limiting. Bitwig's browser has hot swapping of presets, which is slow when loading big sample based instruments. Still great to play around with the preset before loading it...

Moss' Bitwig script for Push also gives a lot more control over things. I couldn't access the similarity function with Push or my own presets for that matter. Useless function then, I don't do mouse.

However, Live still reigns supreme when it comes to sampling and slicing. The wealth of M4L devices is a plus too, to the point where it is overwhelming to sift through all the garbage to find the gems. Snapshots and morphing (with something like Gradient) is very welcome, too.

I might use Live exclusively alongside Bitwig, until Bitwig gets a proper looper, device/global snapshots and morphing and a better sampling workflow (incl. stretch modes in Sampler). The best of both worlds.

wvshpr wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:23 am After years of using Bitwig going back to Ableton is a frustrating experience, especially when it comes to modulation and ease of use. Much easier to do basic things and easier on the eyes. 16 macros in Live is incredibly limiting. Bitwig's browser has hot swapping of presets, which is slow when loading big sample based instruments. Still great to play around with the preset before loading it...

Moss' Bitwig script for Push also gives a lot more control over things. I couldn't access the similarity function with Push or my own presets for that matter. Useless function then, I don't do mouse.

However, Live still reigns supreme when it comes to sampling and slicing. The wealth of M4L devices is a plus too, to the point where it is overwhelming to sift through all the garbage to find the gems. Snapshots and morphing (with something like Gradient) is very welcome, too.

I might use Live exclusively alongside Bitwig, until Bitwig gets a proper looper, device/global snapshots and morphing and a better sampling workflow (incl. stretch modes in Sampler). The best of both worlds.
I am also using both but now much prefer the browser (with find similar sounds and hot swap in clips, drum machine (you can even do all 16 at once) and sampler- amazing workflow) in Live and think live is better for midi editing (prefer midi generators over operators etc). Also as a PUSH 3 user I much prefer using it with Live, the GUI is amazing for visual feedback on all instruments and fx and of course they are all mapped perfectly. Live 12 and PUSH 3 combo has me mainly using Live currently.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

btw. especially for those who use Reason, SSL 360 makes a significant difference, especially since the SSL 4K E(at least EQ the curves as well known one in it) is also housed within Reason, and the Meter are available on a rent-to-own basis. The only thing missing is the bus compressor (and the SSL 9000K channel strip), but it's only a matter of time before they put it/them on sale

https://store.solidstatelogic.com/plug-ins/ssl-4k-e
https://store.solidstatelogic.com/plug-ins/meter
or
https://support.solidstatelogic.com/hc/ ... -notes-0-0

subscription wouldn't be an option for sure

luckily it no needs any hardware to able to work

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”