Picking a DAW is hard…

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m trying to get back into music production after a few years away from it and I’m feeling overwhelmed.

I feel like I’ve trialed every DAW, but none of them is for me. Off the top of my head I’ve tried Ableton, Bitwig, Cubase, FL Studio, Logic, Reaper, Renoise and Studio One

I have found stuff that annoys or hinders me on every single one of these DAWs. Some of them would be FL Studio’s mixer organization and “pattern based” workflow, Logic’s file browser, Bitwig’s UI (for some reason), Reaper’s need for customization beforehand, etc.

I’ll admit I haven’t given some of these a proper shot. I’ve only started the Studio One trial a few days ago and I didn’t really try to use Cubase (it doesn’t do full screen on a Mac, apparently)

If any of you have a recommendation for me regarding this, I’d appreciate it. Whether it is a magical fix for my (possibly petty) issues or another DAW for me to trial (gotta try ’em all)

Try MuLab:
https://www.mutools.com/index.html
This video shows how the linear timeline and clip launching is integrated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXpmHRYRbpo

- no daw is a perfect fit -
Last edited by Michael L on Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

No DAW is perfect, all the DAWs you mentioned are capable of making amazing music! Use the one that annoys you least! I assume you are on a Mac as you have tried Logic…that’s probably worth more time.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Michael L wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:39 am Try MuLab:
https://www.mutools.com/index.html
I’ll add that one to the list. Thanks!
Michael L wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:39 amno daw is a perfect fit
SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:43 am No DAW is perfect
I’m now realizing that! :hihi: I wish I could easily (and inexpensively) mix features that I like from each DAW
SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:43 amUse the one that annoys you least!
So far, I guess that’d be Studio One, but I need to give it more time to make sure
SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:43 amI assume you are on a Mac as you have tried Logic…that’s probably worth more time.
Yep, I’m using a MacBook and Logic is probably the one I spent the most time trialing (after FL Studio, which used to be my main DAW). I really wanted to like it, but the browser is awful and I feel like it often requires too much mouse input (this can be just my experience)

Picking a DAW (or a VST) is hard as long as you are just playing around picking DAWs and plugins. If you have the goal to write music, maybe you have a deadline for that too, then it is surprisingly easy.

kapirus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:15 am Reaper’s need for customization beforehand
Never got this point, because I haven't customized Reaper while using it since v3 (or 4?). Okay, I've tried one or another theme back in the day but always flipped back to the default one.

kapirus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:15 am I feel like I’ve trialed every DAW, but none of them is for me. Off the top of my head I’ve tried Ableton, Bitwig, Cubase, FL Studio, Logic, Reaper, Renoise and Studio One
You are all over the place. Try to reduce the options.
Renoise is a tracker
FL Studio is pattern based
Ableton and Bitwig are for electronic music
Logic, Studio One, Cubase - "standard" general purpose daws.
Reaper - for mixing / mastering

Just based on the properties above you can already take few of them out.
You have already said no to pattern based, and Reaper is not for you,
trackers are probably not as well.
You are left with Ableton, Bitwig, Logic, Studio One, Cubase.

I would choose Logic, the reason is the price.
You pay once and have all the updates for free, at least for the last 10 years this was the case.
Other daws are expensive because they need an upgrade every two years or so.

roman.i wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:57 am You are all over the place. Try to reduce the options.
Allow me to chime in and edit a bit of your truly well-thought comment:

Logic, Studio One, Cubase, Reaper - "standard" general purpose daws.
Harrison Mixbus for mixing / mastering.

Oddly enough.....Pro Tools .....''the choice of the industry'' is NEVER a part of the discussions.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

elassi wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:09 am Allow me to chime in and edit a bit of your truly well-thought comment:

Logic, Studio One, Cubase, Reaper - "standard" general purpose daws.
Harrison Mixbus for mixing / mastering.
I'm not sure about that Reaper is a general purpose daw.
Cubase was initially developed as a composer DAW, and Logic as a producer DAW.
Both of these have many Producer and Composer tools built-in.
They also have good enough tools for mixing.

From my head, I'm not aware of any features in Reaper for Composers or Producers.
Reaper is a competitor to Pro tools these days in mixers circles.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:16 am Oddly enough.....Pro Tools .....''the choice of the industry'' is NEVER a part of the discussions.
It's an "industry standard" for mixers, not for music production.

roman.i wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:27 am From my head, I'm not aware of any features in Reaper for Composers or Producers.
For me, having used Cubase on Atari ST centuries ago, some things define a many-purpose-DAW, especially in the details.

For instance, the event list editor. You won't find it in Live or FL. Reaper has it. Cubase has it. And Logic, too, me thinks.

lajosuti wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:47 am Picking a DAW (or a VST) is hard as long as you are just playing around picking DAWs and plugins.
I have to agree with you on that. I feel like I should've settled on something by now instead of trying to find the perfect software tbh
elassi wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:52 am Never got this point, because I haven't customized Reaper while using it since v3 (or 4?). Okay, I've tried one or another theme back in the day but always flipped back to the default one.
I assume this is mostly based on what you need the software to do and what you can add to it in order to improve your workflow. I'm not the most "Reaper savvy" person to properly give you a reply on this, but that's what I've read and when I was trying it out, I actually felt it wasn't the best for my needs unless I start customizing it.
I acknowledge that it's the perfect DAW for some people, but not for me, unfortunately
roman.i wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:57 am You are all over the place. Try to reduce the options.
You're absolutely right :hihi:
I keep reading that FL, Ableton and Bitwig are for electronic music, but I don't understand what makes them for that. I assume they have features that lean more towards electronic production? I need to check that out properly, as I'm mainly interested in electronic music. From what I understand, FL is strictly pattern-based, so that leaves Ableton and Bitwig...
Are the general purpose DAWs not suitable for electronic music?
roman.i wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:57 am I would choose Logic, the reason is the price.
You pay once and have all the updates for free, at least for the last 10 years this was the case.
Other daws are expensive because they need an upgrade every two years or so.
That's part of what made me give it more time and keep trying to like it.

kapirus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:31 am Are the general purpose DAWs not suitable for electronic music?
To make it very simple: Electronic music is mostly about repetition and pauses, as well as build-ups (e.g. muting channels and bringing them back, one by one or in full). The pattern-based method of 'modern' DAWs supports this.

You won't find a song structure like this in a pop song, though it deals with quiet and loud parts also.

roman.i wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:31 am
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:16 am Oddly enough.....Pro Tools .....''the choice of the industry'' is NEVER a part of the discussions.
It's an "industry standard" for mixers, not for music production.
I think for most genres that are not electronic Pro Tools is up there.

And for post production there's really nothing close to it.

It's my main DAW for work. I don't think anything comes close to it for recording, audio editing and mixing. It's still the closest thing to the studio in a box paradigm.

Its achille's heel is definitely in the midi area although it's nowhere near as bad as people make out.

I use Ableton for creativity and fun.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”