A {long} word about Clipped-MAX and The Condiments (Phat Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, & Sriracha)

Official support for: lvcaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I get many questions about when Clipped-MAX will be updated and natively support the M1/M2 Apple chips. The answer is: it is complicated. I have been working on it for a long, long, long time. Thanks to Oli and the other coders that have been working on IPlug2 (the SDK I use to develop cross-platform plugins), the framework is there for a native M1/M2 version of Clipped-MAX.

The problem is that all of my code needs updated. When I say all, I mean everything. The new version of IPlug2 that is compatible with M1/M2 includes a totally new way for communication between the controls of the plugin and the audio processing. Most everything you see in Clipped-MAX (and other plugins like Preamp-MAX, Limited-MAX, and Toned-MAX) are elements that I coded from scratch. Using the new IPlug2, I have had to rewrite about 75% of the code.

For me, coding has gotten to the point that it is no longer fun. Opening a 1000-line file of code to update, and then seeing that about 75% of the lines have errors (because of the new SDK) is crushing. It has slowed me down, gotten under my skin, and made LVC-Audio a chore. I am not a trained programmer. Anyone that does this day-in and day-out has my admiration.

So this is the basis for "The Condiments" (i.e., Phat Ketchup, Phat Mustard, Phat Mayo, and Phat Sriracha). The plugins use a simple and silly interface, nothing like the controls (and code) found on Clipped-MAX. The audio processing includes some of the elements that I have been working with for years such as dynamic EQ, mid/side EQ, vintage compression, multiband stereo widening, and multiband transient shaping. The underlying DSP of "The Condiments" is actually more complicated than Clipped-MAX, but the process of coding the new plugins was relatively quick, fun, and exciting. Basically, coding "The Condiments" has rejuvenated my audio-coding-mojo.

Clipped-MAX will still be updated, as will Limited-MAX and Preamp-MAX; however, the overall style of the plugins may need to be reconsidered. For example, is it better to have one Clipped-MAX plugin or four separate clipping plugins (i.e., ClipShifter, Clip-Multiband, Clip-Stereo, and Clip-Master). I don't know the answer right now, but I know I want to keep making plugins that are fun to code, fun/useful to use, and inspire you to create more music.

Any input you have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks - and happy holidays to you, your family, your pets, your synths, your guitars, your basses, and your drums.

random_id wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:11 pm I am not a trained programmer. Anyone that does this day-in and day-out has my admiration.
Thanks for being honest. I don't believe developers need to have a degree in it, and not everyone who does a job inherently enjoys it. You've committed to updating the catalog which is great. But anyone reading this and seeing the new plugins is surely thinking "what happens when the mojo for this is lost?" Especially since adding new products increases technical debt.

Invariably developers will face an aging codebase. It is indeed daunting. But we've come a long way and have matured practices and tools (e.g., refactoring). Fixing 1000 lines, or 1000 files of 1000 lines, the solution is always the same. Plan how to break it down into smaller, manageable, testable pieces and it's not so big.

If it's easier for you to maintain simpler plugins on the same framework then go for it. But I bought Clipped-MAX and recommended it because it is a one-stop shop for clipping. If it comes down to whether we get it in pieces or get it at all then we're beholden to either outcome and it's moot. So it's something you need to decide for yourself. No one can give their blessing for everyone, you know yourself, and it's your company to direct.

Hey Random, I sympathise re coding---never done it, wouldn't want to.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but is Condiments:
1 M1?
2 oversampled?

Kaiser

Quick answer. Yes, The Condiments support M1/M2 chips natively. Yes, the plugins are internally oversampled (4x is default, but this can be set to off, 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x within the config file).

I also appreciate the comment about Clipped-MAX being every clipper, all at once. The code is running now, but there is still a lot of testing.

I will wait for you to make in Silicon compatible till the end of days!

I wish i could help however

Return to “LVC-Audio”