Your opinion on KordsKontrol project - Chords progression assistant / Sequencer for pads controllers

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone !

I have been working for about ten years now on a software that allows you to use your pad controller to create complex chord progressions by exploring hundreds of scales, and to sequence arpeggios that align themselves with the chords. Among others :)
The goal is to make composition - and playing, including live - accessible to as many people as possible, by managing in the user's place everything that is complex and requires having studied the music theory in detail as far as harmony is concerned, so that the user can focus on the creative aspects.
Thanks to this tool, I can compose draft songs in less than 5 minutes, even when I don't have much inspiration (and talent...) :D

The easiest way to see what it can do is to take a look at the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8hMKh1DRSY

Or, to see the complete process of creating a draft song in less than 5 minutes (the demo starts at 2:40 for those in a hurry):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy7mMQe3HbM

The software uses the controller as a self-contained interface, meaning there is no need to look at the computer screen (much like an NI Maschine or Ableton Push).
It is compatible with several controllers, but the ideal for he moment is to use a Novation Launchpad X, or, very soon, a Launchpad Pro MKIII.

There is a site that gives all the details:
https://kordskontrol.com/

I spent a lot of time on this project, quite a few sleepless nights, and I am convinced that this software has a place among all the solutions that exist today to make musical composition more accessible, more fun, more intuitive.

I would love to have your opinions on this project!

There you go, tell me what you think about all this!
Now that the project is well advanced, it would be really great if it could be used by as many people as possible!

Musically.
Bertrand

The software license is proprietary and closed-source, so I cannot use it.

I found the presentation so lacking as to be ridiculous, someone is pushing buttons as though in avoidance of musical thought entirely & with no explanation (I spent several minutes with the video, if it's there it was more time to locate than I have) of whatever basic theory concepts did apply in the construction.
And the progressions are very naive and tend toward the clumsy. You asked!

I kept mum the first time this was presented, I'm trying actually to engage less with internet nonsense. It got bumped back to the top so it's intruding again.

Essentially I'm struck by the whole anti-music theory or anti-knowing something thrust here. frankly.
If one cannot be bothered with the very basics one is barking up a tree they demonstrably will not obtain the tools to climb until they take quite more seriously the craft of music. And I include you who thought to make this, you will benefit from a deeper study of music, vs being satisfied to run with Intro to Music Theory-level concepts on paper but rather study real music made over epochs from applied mastery of the craft.

Hello,
Even the most negative feedback deserves an answer, and it is your absolute right to have this opinion :)
Well, the purpose of this project is to help people to create music, explore new ideas, express their creativity without the elitist limiting factor that consists in studying music theory for years. This is not an 'anti-theory' thing; surely if you look at the tutorials videos I am creating now you might learn a lot of things related to music theory if you wish; in fact, I think this tool can even be used to teach some concepts of music theory because you have an immediate access to complicated (and not so naive) composition tricks such as voice leading, modulations, chromatic chords.... But you know, not everyone can dedicate 10 years of their live to master the music theory, and it does not make their wish to express their emotions with music less valuable.
This whole thing started from a personal project developed for myself (I could not found anything doing what this does on the market), and then, I spend countless nights working on it to make it accessible to others, because it is so much fun to explore scales and chords progression, and then to draft a song in a single 5 min workflow that I wish it could benefits others!
I have quite some music theory notions since I created this tool, but still, I enjoy using it a lot because I can try new ideas very quickly, without being obliged to be on the mental side of music composition :)
It is difficult to make a teaser video that is showing in a few minutes the potential of the tool, that is accessible, but that also explains how it works. I have published many videos, including tutorials, and have a detailed website, so anyone interested can dig further I guess?
All this is a single man project: the software development, the testing.... done during my spare time!
If your position is, by principle, against tools that could help budding musicians, well this is not for you. Other while, any constructive proposal to make it better is welcome!
Bertrand

Return to “Music Theory”