TX16WX Bug (Current MacOS 10.13+ Beta)

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi again!
I'm having an issue where, if I have multiple instances of TX loaded into one project (in this case, a little over 20), it will trip over itself a lot, especially if you've done the old "new track with duplicate settings" trick. In the attached screen recording, I loaded each instance individually, but it's still having a lot of issues.
Thank you for your time.

I don't understand, and the movie does not really help. Does "trip over itself" mean you hit CPU ceiling or what?
Also, why are you using 20 TX instances? That is super wasteful. TX is multi timbral with multiple outs. And optimized to render as such. Just create more slots in one TX and map them to the appropriate output bus.

Main gripe is gonna be disk streaming: If you have each instance set on DFD, each will create an IO thread, which in turn will compete with the rest of the system for quota, leading to even simple playback becoming potentially bogged.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

elcallio wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:22 am I don't understand, and the movie does not really help. Does "trip over itself" mean you hit CPU ceiling or what?
Also, why are you using 20 TX instances? That is super wasteful. TX is multi timbral with multiple outs. And optimized to render as such. Just create more slots in one TX and map them to the appropriate output bus.

Main gripe is gonna be disk streaming: If you have each instance set on DFD, each will create an IO thread, which in turn will compete with the rest of the system for quota, leading to even simple playback becoming potentially bogged.
The main issue right now is that my computer pops up a message if I'm trying to load the same sound twice, saying there are "too many open files," which I don't understand how that could be. Maybe I'm using the term "instances" wrong, I'm unsure. I'm also completely failing to understand how to "create more slots" in one TX, if every time I create a new track in GarageBand I need to manually reselect TX or else it eventually crashes. If I need complex panning for two sequences using the same sound in unison, I'd need more than one track. I might be too used to the super old version of TX I used to have, so maybe I'm just using it wrong. I'm super confused.

So, a few things:
1.) Apparently garageband does not allow creating multi-in/out instrument setups. This is really limiting, but I guess it is to encourage buying Logic instead. This really means that using TX in Garageband is perhaps not always the best idea...
2.) You still did not explain properly what your original issue is. Is it CPU overload? Since you are using TX free, locked into 128 voice mode, you are gonna use up quite a few resources for each instance, not to mention get concurrent IO conflicts potentially. You can try setting all the imported regions to RAM mode to lessen at least that (at the price of RAM of course).
2.) Please take the time to read the TX manual. Most things about sound element sharing, slots and programs is at least briefly explained there. But I'll do a quick recap:

Each TX performance (a "song" if you will) maps X number of "programs" (single instrument) to N "slots". A slot connects the program to MIDI input and audio output. Drag an imported program into the empty space in the right-hand panel to create a new slot, or just right click the same space an choose "new slot". If you have a slot already, click the "gear" icon for the menu, pick "new" or "duplicate".

Note that a simply way of making your "unison" case might be to simply duplicate a slot, then adjust each slots panning etc inside TX.

And, for the record, slots have been a part of TX since v2 (in a sense even v1).

Also, when doing a duplicate track in Garageband with TX active, you might want to clear the active bank (main menu, clear bank) in the new instance, as otherwise it will also duplicate all loaded materials, and build up even more resource usage. (Loading a new program in TX does not erare the old one, since we can and should map many different programs in a multi-timbral setup).

Hope this helps a bit...
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Follow up: I tried reproing the above in Garageband. I don't actually see much of a CPU hogging, in fact all runs smoothly. However, what I did see, and this might be the issue you were actually referring to, and me misunderstanding, is that the process effectively runs out of file handles after enough TX instances are loaded. This can happen actually regardless of whether one runs one TX instance or 20, because it is the number of open samples that mainly influence this (each streamed sample is an open file). OSX has by default pretty low limits here, and more so for the background process hosting Audio units in Logic/Garageband. Adjusting this to a higher value should fix your issue I think.

See:
https://gist.github.com/tombigel/d50380 ... 37735d202c
https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/366319

But anyway, you can just quickly test to open a command prompt and type:

> sudo launchctl limit maxfiles unlimited

Then launch garageband and see if things improve. Note that the above will reset on reboot, so to make it permanent, check out the links above, or just google.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Finally got to trying your suggestion, and thus far it's worked! Will let you know if I run into any more snags. Thanks!

Return to “CWITEC”