Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hook that up directly to my veins.

Now that's a trailer! Best one for quite some time. Great sounding.

Any updates on its progress and release?

This looks like it has a lot of potential. :o
It's nice that a company isn't just rehashing the same emulations and synthesis types.
I've yet to truly fall in love with any Dawesome synth but maybe this will be the first?

There's lots to like, but the weaker areas in my opinion are the effects and filters.
Depending on the settings, effects can reduce the level quite a bit so output/makeup gain could be quite useful.
Aside from improved filter variety, a dedicated EQ effect would allow taming lows without using up the one filter and better sound shaping pre/post-fx (i.e.Shimmer can pitch to -12, but only has LP.)

Also with more "creative" UIs making sure the basics are covered is important, and simple usability enhancements can go a long way.

A few examples:
-Many parameters don't display their values, or only do when being adjusted. Showing values in a tooltip when hovering over a control, and numeric entry would help.

-ALL CAPS PRESETS ARE KINDA SILLY IN 2024. :wink:

-Oversampling should have online/offline settings to reduce CPU in real-time without compromising render quality.

-A "max voices" setting like Kult's could help for other CPU hungry synths as MYTH is likely to be, however neither the "patch" or "global" options are ideal. You either need to constantly adjust it when switching presets, or risk the global setting changing the sound of other existing projects! A third-option for "instance" would remain fixed for the individual instance but not affect any others. (IMO global would be better as per project)

-Locking for each section: individual osc/layers, envelopes, FX, modulation, filters, arp etc.
Novum for example can lock all layers/envelopes or none, but sometimes you only want to lock certain layers.

-'Smart' randomize for different sections and globally (the smart part limits parameter ranges to sensible values). This is where locking becomes super useful. Only Abyss seems to have any randomization, and just for the gradient.

-In Novum envelopes points can be hard to set with more percussive sounds and those with longer/silent tails since the waveform view can't be zoomed (vertical zoom would also improve the visibility of low level layers.) Being able to trim the start/end of imported audio could focus on the desired section. After saving it would become "destructive", with the benefit of reducing the size of lane source files.

Anyway, stoked for MYTH...

Is there a way to buy a bundle of all the Dawesome plugins? I couldn't find one in the small amount of time that I looked and the traction "everything bundle" is way more than I'm interested in.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I might give it a try, but first impression is not a very user-friendly GUI. I don't dislike all flat GUIs - eg the Opsix one I really like (though the plugin is still f**ked for my system) but that one just looks difficult to me. Second impression - at least it's got more than wavetable and granular, both of which don't do it for me at all. TBH I haven't played with any of their plugins yet, and a quick browse through the site confirms I don't want to work with those GUIs but ya never know, if the FM and VA side of things are good I might get it. Depends on price because I don't want probably half of it. Dunno what it is about wavetable - it just grates on me, and I haven't come across a single usable granular sound yet. :shrug:

MYTH isn't going to be a wavetable synth, fyi.
Duality without regard to physicality

OK, I was going off that trailer which suggested VA+wavetable+FM+ maybe other stuff? At least if it's not wavetable and granular, then it might have a chance to sound OK.

Hehe, I can set your mind at ease and let you know that it will sound more than ok. Do you know how certain playing interfaces lend themselves to greater inspiration? It’s not in beta yet, but Peter has nailed this with MYTH. The GUI will be more intuitive than any other synth he’s put out yet.

From my limited perspective, it is exceedingly difficult for a synth maker to create an instrument that is both user-friendly and able to plumb the depths of sound design. Typically, a synth is good for one or the other.

I believe MYTH will be a breath of fresh air in this regard. We’ll have to wait and see. 🙂
Duality without regard to physicality

Dawesome’s instruments have been great for exploring more evolving drones, atmospheres and cinematic effects. The GUIs are completely different than most of my plug-ins, but in a good way. And the sound quality of Peter’s entire lineup is top-notch.

I wouldn’t mind a few refinements for preset browsing, but other than that, I’ve been very pleased. After watching the video demos, I can tell that MYTH will inevitably find a home in my plug-in folder. :love:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaitiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Ah crap, I forgot about this thing. Just when I thought I was done with new synths. Ok Icarus3 upgrade, Dawesome Myth and then that's it! I mean it this time!

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:11 pm Ah crap, I forgot about this thing. Just when I thought I was done with new synths. Ok Icarus3 upgrade, Dawesome Myth and then that's it! I mean it this time!
I am excited for those things, as well as Plogue's Chipsynth FC, Madrona Labs Sumu, U-he's Zebralette, and KORG Collection 5. I am 100% certain LOVE will come out on Valentine's Day.

I'm still using Abyss a lot and appreciate it for what it is. However, it could be so much more if Peter stopped abandoning a plugin to start making a new one. Not to mention what Novum could become if it were developed further. But... it is what it is. Life is short, and there is a ton of great stuff out there to explore.

enCiphered wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:53 pm I'm still using Abyss a lot and appreciate it for what it is. However, it could be so much more if Peter stopped abandoning a plugin to start making a new one. Not to mention what Novum could become if it were developed further. But... it is what it is. Life is short, and there is a ton of great stuff out there to explore.
They do at least get some incremental updates, which is more than some developers offer.

Return to “Instruments”