Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

avid_d wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:41 pm I too experienced CPU usage like I have never known with another synth have used (easily beating my previous worst of Pigments v3). All my testing was done in Eco mode with no unison.

I had Myth on trial, spent two days seeking to understand it and get some idea of what it would do with its resynthesis of a wide-range of samples from very short wavetables, to chord progressions, to longer, more complex sounds. After those two days, I uninstalled it - I love Novum and Abyss, have (but am less enamoured with) Kult, but Myth I did not take to at all. I do wish some of the effects modules would find their way into Abyss and Novum, but accept this is unlikely to ever happen.
I re-installed Myth yesterday and, instead of trying loads of my own samples, I have been taking an existing sound, essentially then "initing" it and building out from there. This has proven far more effective for me.

CPU use can still go off the chart too easily for my liking.

plexuss wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:13 pm I haven't been following the thread, what have I mythed?
We've all been smoking myth, some of us have enjoyed it, others not so much :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

At the end of the day it seems like too much cpu for a sound source that isn't doing too much new, but rather is wrapped in a slightly different interface than other synths with "similar" capabilities. The work flow is a bit wonky for me but the CPU cost is as high as any synth I've used.
I may still grab it for 100$ as I appreciate a deep synth with full MPE and MTS-ESP support . I'm also definitely getting Novum now. I think over time this synth will do very well with people who want a complex pad/ preset beast and people for whom Dawesome's gui clicks with for sound design (I love sound design but using myth with only a laptop touchpad mouse is a bit much).
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:27 pm At the end of the day it seems like too much cpu for a sound source that isn't doing too much new, but rather is wrapped in a slightly different interface than other synths .....
yeah, i feel same.
i´ll buy it when it´s down to $79 or better. Since i feel slightly pissed, and think that Kult has never been finished, while this one feels like sort of a Kult2.
A crossgrade offer would have been a nice move.
So, its me moving now slower instead.

WasteLand wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:07 am
Caine123 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 am
hmmmm nice but it sounds too metallic and screechy for me, are warm pads/drones also possible? not demo'ed yet thx
well it is my style, true. but even i can make warmer pads/drones. they are certainly possible. no problem at all.

https://youtu.be/GP2s8y9jy7k?si=wYsq_eTDuZXqR8_U
thanks a lot, i really need to finally demo it soon and test it too, this example still sounds too rough for me soundwise, somehow not smooth. more screechy, hard to explain maybe it is my ears :).
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 pm
hmmmm nice but it sounds too metallic and screechy for me, are warm pads/drones also possible? not demo'ed yet thx
well it is my style, true. but even i can make warmer pads/drones. they are certainly possible. no problem at all.

thanks a lot, i really need to finally demo it soon and test it too, this example still sounds too rough for me soundwise, somehow not smooth. more screechy, hard to explain maybe it is my ears :).
when i posted it i already thought so, that isn't that warm, it still more dark ambient, it is my style, i can't help myself!

i was asked once to make an ambient track, a real ambient track. the first sketches 2 were horror ambient tracks.... or horror. in the end i really made a ambient track, still perhaps some edges, but mainly, yes... enough!

yes, in a way, it always the way: demo it, test it yourself, and decide for yourself.
but warm pads and drones are possible, without any doubt.

Funky40 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:38 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:27 pm At the end of the day it seems like too much cpu for a sound source that isn't doing too much new, but rather is wrapped in a slightly different interface than other synths .....
yeah, i feel same.
i´ll buy it when it´s down to $79 or better. Since i feel slightly pissed, and think that Kult has never been finished, while this one feels like sort of a Kult2.
A crossgrade offer would have been a nice move.
So, its me moving now slower instead.
When you say this feels like a sort of Kult2, are you talking about the sonic territory or interface similarities? I believe Kult uses complex oscillators as opposed to sample based resynthesis, correct?

Caine123 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 pm

Yeah, that's a bit too harsh / screechy / too much high end for me too, but that's easily taken care of with the low pass filter or some of the other effects inside Myth (especially the Pure transformer, also reverb with damp up, Sugar... to a lesser extend Mellow, etc.).

There are lots of presets that don't have harsh or excessive high-end, and they can serve as good starting points. You can filter presets by Tone (including Dark, Clean, and Warm) and Timbre (including Harmonious, Dull, Mellow, and Deep warm). So there are 84 factory presets that are "Warm and Harmonious". And I've already made 12 more using them as starting points, mostly using my own samples and tweaking heavily.

Though if you try to filter for multiple options within each category---for example Clean and Warm in Tone---it will show presets that are either Clean or Warm, but not necessarily both. Hopefully they'll provide the option to show only "both Clean and Warm" (etc.) in the future.

SirKen wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:08 pm When you say this feels like a sort of Kult2, are you talking about the sonic territory or interface similarities? I believe Kult uses complex oscillators as opposed to sample based resynthesis, correct?
I think it's fair to say Myth evolved from Kult in terms of design, mostly in the direction of more flexibility. But the core technology of the oscillators is very different and the range of sonic results even more so.

SirKen wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:08 pm When you say this feels like a sort of Kult2, are you talking about the sonic territory or interface similarities? I believe Kult uses complex oscillators as opposed to sample based resynthesis, correct?
no, not the interface. Myth ´s interface is entirely something else.
Thats exactly the (*my*) point. "That´s" what has been developed into something new.
Not saying the soundengine itself did not take any work.
I´m quite convinced it was much work there too.

sample based does not necessarily mean we are "playing" here with samples.
The samples get transformed into "something".
anyway, i´m not here to debate this type of stuff.
Just a feel, *it´s just my feel*...........YMMV

foosnark wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:13 pm
I think it's fair to say Myth evolved from Kult in terms of design, mostly in the direction of more flexibility. But the core technology of the oscillators is very different and the range of sonic results even more so.
i do not see it as a thing of "design".
it´s the sound that triggers me that way.

but i´ve long time not used Kult.
several things became an issue. CPU load turned into one.
with Myth same. I hit CPU overload quite often. (m2mac)
Looks to me, like the lack of some polyphonie management is a major oversight.
Hope there´s an update coming vs. that.

You can change the polyphony - look towards the bottom right. Click on the POLY (number). Or do you mean something else?

cb8rwh wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:00 pm You can change the polyphony - look towards the bottom right. Click on the POLY (number). Or do you mean something else?
Problem-ish with polyphony...you can decrease it manually, but it doesn't carry over when you change patches. If the next patch was created with the setting at 24 voices, you're getting 24 voices whether or not your CPU can handle it.

And from what I've heard while using MYTH, most patches don't need 24-voice polyphony.

NB I love Dawesome products and bought MYTH. But it does enjoy trashing my CPU.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

This might be obvious, but when modulating FM and sync I'm finding that simultaneously modulating the low pass or EQ module is a pretty effective way to tame the high end. (My ears are still pretty sensitive to harsh/shrill high frequencies... for now at least.)

Glancing at the manual again I was reminded that the filter modules can self-oscillate... and you can do 2 of each module per section. So I guess that would be a maximum of 2+6+6+6 = 20 per-voice oscillators (since Osc and Filter are per-voice) and a possible extra 12 from the two FX sections (not per-voice).

cb8rwh wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:00 pm You can change the polyphony - look towards the bottom right. Click on the POLY (number). Or do you mean something else?
you´re right. In fact, i completly forgot about that setting vs. my last jamms.
While i did use it in my first jam.
But for my defens: in daily usage, especially when fresh to this Synth, while browsing presets, and not "working" in a focused way, would a lock button be mandatory, vs. that setting. imho
My post was very unprecise in that sense, and from there: a fail. please take my apologies.
But "some" oversight is there: it lacks that lock button.
And thats much likely why i completly forgot about that setting, cause it was useless in my usecase.

But that whole CPU hit "problem" might be even deeper than just a polyphonie setting thing alone.
There seems to be a relation to the granular and clouds machine (when active) as far i can grasp. Not sure how much this relates to the polyphonic aspect, and how much "you" could do "from there" to avoid the blooming out of the CPU demands.

Return to “Instruments”