Need advice on studio monitor upgrade

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It might sound funny/crazy but ive been producing and now mixing on a professional level for 10+ years in an untreated room and budget monitors and random speakers ((cannot re arrange furniture and hang up treatment in my current situation) ). I didnt want to change much with the setup over the years since it just worked for me and i just wanted to focus on making good music and dope production instead of the endless cycling of gear research and room perfection. but i want to upgrade monitors now.

My first studio monitors were KRK RP6 Gen2 from like 2010. then for a year i transitioned to producing/mixing with headphones. then when i started using speakers again i got iLoud Micros. Out of curiousity now i went back to my old KRKs, i realized that while the sound is muddier in low-mids and not as clear as my iLouds, i really want the size of a bigger speaker compared to the iLoud Micros which often feel narrow and compressed.

I am thinking my budget is $1,000 for the pair. Should i get the latest KRK 7 Gen 4 ($400-$500)? iLoud MTM ($700-$800)? What else would be good for under $1000 for the pair, has clarity (not harsh though), and also has low end Oomf? I produce/mix EDM. iLoud MTM having self calibration and very big low end extension is tempting. but them being small worries me. Something about the KRKS having a full bodied powerful (albeit muddy dirty low-mid) sound stage compared to my iLouds makes me want to get something bigger than Micro/MTM. KRKs are temping for the price ($400-$500 for the pair)and because they have the "oomf" for EDM. If there is something just over $1000 thats much better i am open to that as well.

whatever i plan on getting, im also going to get Sonarworks to correct.

What are the dimensions of your room (LxWxH)?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:51 pm What are the dimensions of your room (LxWxH)?
18ft, 4 inches long
11ft, 7 inches wide
ceiling 8 ft, 1 inch
here is a rough diagram (desk is where my set up is )
https://imgur.com/a/eTUvrln

I would check out the Kali audio 3-ways.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... io-monitor

Personally, I'm super sensitive to monitor hiss and so I really don't like older monitors that don't use class AB amps for mid/hi drivers. Point being, for any new monitor, I would want to see/hear it in person before committing. I believe that these are class D, but I don't know and I also believe that new amps are better than older amps in this regard. I only suggest these because I've found that the phenomenon that you describe is really helped with a 3-way.

I’d suggest stretching your budget a bit and going with Genelec 8020s. They’re excellent near-fields that are designed for a smaller room like yours (and mine), have incredible detail, and are built to withstand a nuclear warhead.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:21 pm I’d suggest stretching your budget a bit and going with Genelec 8020s. They’re excellent near-fields that are designed for a smaller room like yours (and mine), have incredible detail, and are built to withstand a nuclear warhead.
No low end oomph though.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:08 pm
cryophonik wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:21 pm I’d suggest stretching your budget a bit and going with Genelec 8020s. They’re excellent near-fields that are designed for a smaller room like yours (and mine), have incredible detail, and are built to withstand a nuclear warhead.

:tu:
No low end oomph though.
Exactly. :tu:

cryophonik wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:29 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:08 pm

:tu:
No low end oomph though.
Exactly. :tu:
OP wrote:What else would be good for under $1000 for the pair, has clarity (not harsh though), and also has low end Oomf?
I get it, I do a lot of my mixing these days at low volumes on a pair of SC203s. They do not have convincing clarity in the bass, at all and I could not use them as my only speakers. I looked at the Genelecs and also the Neuman's. I definitely preferred the accuracy of the bass in the Neuman's, but they were twice the price and physically larger. Same with the 8020s, the 8010s were unusable. I'm not recommending the SC203s. For me they fit the role of a not too expensive PC speaker. I just don't think that for most people mixing EDM that really small speakers as the primary monitor is a good choice, regardless of room size issues.

Consider getting slate VSX headphones as complementary, and keep your KRK.
dedication to flying

Sub-$1000, Focal Alpha Evo. The 8" might be a little too much for that space but the 5" or 6.5" will rock. I have the 5's in an odd shaped room a little smaller than yours, and make old jungle stuff. I could probably get by without my sub, but I keep it on because I like to be obnoxious about it hah. I was really surprised by them, they blew my old Tannoys away.

JBL boxes way above its weight class. Check out the JBL 308P mkII. You should be easily able to land a pair for around $400. Their other monitors are excellent as well, and if you are missing any oomph, the 10" sub could be added for under $500.

Sweetwater actually has a pair with the sub in a bundle for $879 right now, with other stuff; you can get them alone even cheaper. A pair of the monitors alone is $398 there.

Or just keep the KRK's and add some good headphones.

This guy's channel is great; you will see that he has some room resonances as the speakers generally have similar odd shapes in the response curves across all his videos, but once you ignore that it's a gold mine for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcajDRFr8g8

Can you slope down la dolce vita to a speaker shop with your reference tracks and some of your own work to have a listen?
:-)

Benedict wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:12 pm Can you slope down la dolce vita to a speaker shop with your reference tracks and some of your own work to have a listen?
:-)
^^^ This is the best plan.

To make it worthwhile I'd say you might need to have your speakers pointing longways down your room.

You might be better off getting a really good pair of headphones like beyerdynamic dt1990 and using oratory eq correction curves when mixing.

I actually really like even my inexpensive Beyerdynamic DT990Pros for this, except for the far highs. But they are outstanding to check mixes against my JBLs.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”