Maschine MK 3 vs Ableton Push

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI
I have been offered the Maschine controller and it looks amazing but I don't know much about these things ( I use an old m-audio axiom keyboard at the moment). Was wondering if anyone has any opinions. Or is there another device that may be better? It all comes down to money but would love some views to help me decide. I use ableton and studio one...

Do you want to use it with the Maschine software or are you hoping to use it as a controller for Ableton?

I use Maschine as a plugin within other DAW's. I love it, mainly because my other DAW's don't have deep sequencing tools. But if I were an Ableton user, I don't know if I'd be as enthusiastic about it.

I want to use it as a controller with software, Ableton and maybe FL Studio. I was thinking about using it live as well at some stage but that's a ways off at the moment. I watched the video for machine on NI website and it looks like a souped-up Akai MPC. It looks amazing but it might be too deep for me. I've not really gotten my head around MIDI in general so might be walking before I can crawl. I have an m-audio axiom keyboard controller which is amazing but it's bulky and I wanted something portable..

inkwarp wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:44 pm I want to use it as a controller with software, Ableton and maybe FL Studio. I was thinking about using it live as well at some stage but that's a ways off at the moment. I watched the video for machine on NI website and it looks like a souped-up Akai MPC. It looks amazing but it might be too deep for me. I've not really gotten my head around MIDI in general so might be walking before I can crawl. I have an m-audio axiom keyboard controller which is amazing but it's bulky and I wanted something portable..
You can use it as a simple MIDI controller like that. The Maschine software is worth trying eventually but you're right that it complicates things. Save that for later.

thanks for the advice : )

Both Machine and Push are highly propriarity - which means outside their respective biome (Maschine / Komplete software or Ableton Live) they are severly limited in what they can do. Esp. Maschine. Push at least has has a generic MIDI-Mode that you can use outside of Ableton Live, IIRC.

To try to use either them with FL Studio will not bring you much fun, esp for that asking price. If you use Ableton, forget Maschine kompetely over Push. Maschine is just a controller for the Software.

On top of the NI tends to just abandon their hardware on a regualr basis and (want to) wall you into their Komplete-Software. Their latest Kontrol keyboard is basically not usable outside of NI Komplete eco-system.
I'd stay away from NI as far as I can, if you do not intend to use NI software exclusively.

If you want some good universal MIDI-controller better look somewhere else.

my 2 cents.

Maschine can be used as a midi controller (including MCU) and even with deep DAW integration when using Drivenbymoss.
I've just tested both to see which one I want to use for 2024 and I picked Maschine.
I can use the Maschine software that I love and I can use it within Ableton or Bitwig and record the individual outs as audio while using the Maschine workflow with third party NKS vst support which I love.
Push 3 only works better (for me) if I use Ableton plugins exclusively which I rarely/never do.

Maschine has been the best and most flexible software/hardware platform for 10+ years imho.
It's not a complete DAW, so you'll want one to make a finished product.

mindnoise wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:51 am To try to use either them with FL Studio will not bring you much fun, esp for that asking price.
I'm under the impression he's getting the Maschine controller for free.

Uncle E wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:14 am
mindnoise wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:51 am To try to use either them with FL Studio will not bring you much fun, esp for that asking price.
Sorry, didn't catch that nuance :)

PS: Yes, while both_can_ be used as generic midi controller, if you don't plan to use the respective software, you'd get the same functionality cheaper somewhere else (e.g. Nektar Aura/Aruba with pretty good universal host software, IMHO.) and then they also have no advantage over his Axiom, then. That was my point.

Oh, I agree, it's not the best. And you're right, Nektar Aura is killer. But the Maschine controller has nice pads and is more portable than a keyboard, and actually does provide some decent DAW control.

Uncle E wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:14 am
Noooo!.. Not free. Secondhand :D

And now I am uncertain. I use Ableton ( and Studio One for mixing etc). The fact that Maschine is for NI stuff makes me think that I should hold off and see if something like the 'Push' controller comes up. The one thing that makes the Maschine tempting is that folks use it in other DAWs?... Money is a factor unfortunately so there is that also... :)

To add to my confusion, one of these for sale: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Native-Instrum ... GSZLC?th=1
So tempting :O

Ah, got it. Then listen to mindnoise, his recommendations against it are sound. Since you’re looking for something portable, I’d recommend checking out a Launchpad Mini or Komplete Kontrol M32.

As someone who has moved from maschine to ableton I 100% agree with another commenter you may be underwhelmed with maschine. It is great for drums though

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”