2024: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2024)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiouser720 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:56 pm
Double Tap wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:28 pm
audiouser720 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:38 pm
Double Tap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:35 pm I suppose I'm unlikely to find out if this Polybrute 12 thing is likely to emerge this year or not, and whether it's twice the price or three times the price...
Is that an iPhone holder / charger on it? How cool!
Haha no they call it a “morphee” - it’s a souped up mod wheel / touch sensitive XY pad and you can push it down too - so basically three parameters in one motion.
Is this unique to Arturia? I don’t remember seeing it on anything else.
Yeah pretty sure it’s just theirs - maybe they patented it?

Got my DAPF today and spent some time getting to know it... time which disappeared before i knew it. :D Stuff I tried:

- obvious phaser patches. With two allpass filters in one module you can get true stereo, mono-to-stereo, parallel mono, serial mono, weird things with patching the feedback loops, etc. I've never owned a hardware phaser before and don't use them all that much in software, but it sounds pretty great.

- allpass in a delay feedback loop. Lots of options for this, especially modulating it in sync with the delay time, getting weird with Mimeophon, etc.

- allpass in a feedback loop with another filter: crazy, a little too much to handle. Basically changing filter modes and resonance at the same time with one slider. Probably not going to use that much.

- putting it in front of a wavefolder or distortion to change the character: yep, that's fun stuff, adding another really useful parameter to modulate. But it made me realize that my Cosmotronic Peradam has an allpass filter built in for exactly this purpose, so DAPF doesn't do much in front of it. It does give me more patching ideas for Paradam though.

- patching regular and allpassed versions of a wave into a VCA, ringmod, or analog logic for waveshaping: yes, good stuff

- phase modulation patches: definitely good. Worth it even with all the FM stuff I already have. PMing an already distorted/filtered/dynamic signal, or doing non-exploding cross-PM stuff (osc 1 PMs osc 2 in Shapeshifter, then the osc 2 output PMs the osc 1 output using DAPF).

- processing CV: it's still a filter, with a cutoff frequency above slow things like LFOs, where there's little to no phase shift. But stepped modulation can make spikes and wobbles. With a bit of self-patching and feedback, envelopes can induce wobbles... I'm even starting to wonder now if this is how NSI Inertia works.

make noise function x 2.

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:53 pm make noise function x 2.
I'm kind of tempted to grab a black & gold one to go with my silver one. I don't really need it though... if one Function, Stages, Just Friends, Wave Packets, and Kermit aren't enough there's always Bitwig Grid :party:

I'm wondering why they've decided to discontinue it after this run. I wouldn't think getting the parts for this one would be a problem. Maybe there's a new thing in development?

foosnark wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:12 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:53 pm make noise function x 2.
I'm kind of tempted to grab a black & gold one to go with my silver one. I don't really need it though... if one Function, Stages, Just Friends, Wave Packets, and Kermit aren't enough there's always Bitwig Grid :party:

I'm wondering why they've decided to discontinue it after this run. I wouldn't think getting the parts for this one would be a problem. Maybe there's a new thing in development?
it does seem weird, its a basic utility, that people will always buy at some point.
it doesnt have any of the vactrol issues, which i could understand them doing if it was.
been one of them thats been on the list, thinking it would always be there, but having maths it didnt seem a major "need".
im kinda lucky in that its my 50th next week, so i have cash to spend on something, and nothing else is actually calling me at the minute. ive got plenty more, maybe superbooth will bring us some new toys :D

Oh they are discontinuing Function! Hmm...
Function is like a combination of single channel from a DTG and the Stepped section of an SSG, so it gets a lot of use in my euro system (despite having two Maths). The hang function is super useful, as are having, EOR and EOC outputs.
Not sure I need another Function but maybe...
Last edited by justin3am on Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justin3am wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:29 pm Oh they are discontinuing Function! Hmm...
Function is like a combination of single channel from a DTG and the Smooth section of an SSG, so it gets a lot of use in my euro system (despite having two Maths). The hang function is super useful, as are having, EOR and EOC outputs.
Not sure I need another Function but maybe...
they got me with them, same way they did with maths
"it can be used as an lfo that cycles over 20 minutes" :D

basic i know, but i loooooove slow almost imperceptible changes, that over time will add up.

I just bought a really well priced (as in cheap) Virus TI Snow. What a lovely little box and oh so perfectly portable! Will go great together with the MPC Live and my Elektron boxes. Will make a little DAWless summer jam session this year, working without a computer.. well sort of. I guess the MPC Live is a Linux box running some software but whatever. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Today was the last day for a Bose promotion at Long and McQuade, so I went to my local store and brought home the Bose L1 Pro32 Line Array and Sub2 Powered Bass Module. Contrary to its marketing claims, the Sub2 Powered Bass Module is very difficult to ergonomically carry with one hand, so I suggest getting help from family or friends when you decide to get one for yourself.

Later on in the near future, I will need to acquire another pair for stereo.

Embodme Erae Touch II - just missed the early bird on Kickstarter… But hey it has a higher resolution which was the problem of version I…
I wonder if I keep the old one as drum controller…
I wonder if I start playing with the looper…
I wonder if I start modular… (I doubt it, but who knows…)

Saw a used UA LA-2A reissue and it would have been rude not to. Pot Noodles for the rest of eternity..

Screenshot_20240302_114903_Gallery.jpg
:party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vurt wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:50 am Screenshot_20240302_114903_Gallery.jpg

Which ones are these?

elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:20 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:50 am Screenshot_20240302_114903_Gallery.jpg

Which ones are these?
2 black functions. 8)

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:56 am Embodme Erae Touch II - just missed the early bird on Kickstarter… But hey it has a higher resolution which was the problem of version I…
I wonder if I keep the old one as drum controller…
I wonder if I start playing with the looper…
I wonder if I start modular… (I doubt it, but who knows…)
Nice pickup… I missed it too, but had decided I would only buy if I got the early bird price.

Mostly because I have no idea where it would go. I finally have most things connected and easy to access, and that would push me back to having too much. but I really want one

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”