2024: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2024)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Examigan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:39 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:24 am
Examigan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:17 pm Not a synth this time, but I just ordered a Roland A-800 Pro.
Had one of those, got best part of 10 years use from it. The only issue I had was the material the fader sliders are made of goes a bit sticky after a while. Lots of good controls though.
I heard the aftertouch takes a bit more pressure than some other keyboards, but that's OK by me. Was yours that way?
Yeah though at the time I was using it mainly with soft synths that didn't react to pressure or after touch at all so wasn't much of an issue. I had got it originally as I was a big Cakewalk/Sonar user and it had that built in ACT function that made it integrate well with DAW plugins, but it's generally just a decent sized light MIDI keyboard controller with a good non flappy keyboard and loads of controls you send to MIDI CCs.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I just received it today. It's from a seller on the Reverb site and it's in great shape. At first the AT wasn't working at all, even with a lot of pressure. I did a bit of research and then read something about some of Cakewalk's settings: the checkbox for AT is off by default, so I switched that on and now all is well. :tu:

It does need a decent amount of pressure, but it's not as bad as some people made it out to be.

Ordered a built Twiigs module from Pusherman. Basically like having two Branches modules in 8hp.
Been using an applet on an O_c for this but will be nice to have the manual control.
I like to use them for things like splitting a trigger into closed and open hat triggers and resetting sequences at random.
IMG_0379.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you safe?

Joined the kickstarter a bit late for Erae Touch 2.0.
Not sure if I will follow through and just buy an ipad with geoshred, which I'm wondering will do what I plan to use the erae for...hmmm... But the CV outs are nice with all my semimodulars and so on... I'm planning more than playing lately. Planning for the day that time and opportunity align.

I went to Perfect Circuit over the weekend for some DB-25 to XLR snakes and to my surprise, they were having a in-store sale.
I ended up getting a great deal on an Analog Heat +FX. A new one for less than the going second-hand prices!

justin3am wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:22 pm I went to Perfect Circuit over the weekend for some DB-25 to XLR snakes and to my surprise, they were having a in-store sale.
I ended up getting a great deal on an Analog Heat +FX. A new one for less than the going second-hand prices!
No way, congrats! :party: Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it! I was just mangling some drum tracks with mine yesterday!
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:57 pm
justin3am wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:22 pm I went to Perfect Circuit over the weekend for some DB-25 to XLR snakes and to my surprise, they were having a in-store sale.
No way, congrats! :party: Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it! I was just mangling some drum tracks with mine yesterday!
Nice. I'm still undecided between the Syntakt and Heat+FX. But my SP-404MKII is currently keeping me occupied while I think it over.
<List your stupid gear here>

I'm 90% done rewiring audio connections in my studio and just started getting MIDI hooked up again, so I won't be able to really try it out until later in the week. I did get the firmware updated and set up with Overbridge, so I'll be ready to go.
I'm chomping at the bit to work on new music but I need to finish a mix before I can work on my own stuff. :cry:
A good problem to have but still... :hihi:

Just bought an AtovProject cDVCA.

Some light dimmers (especially for LEDs) and fan speed controls use PWM instead of voltage control -- the pulse width of an oscillator turns a switch on and off rapidly, and higher width = more intensity. This is the overcomplicated audio version of that, with a filter after it. Except you can mess with the oscillator and filter frequencies for lo-fi fun, and you can just use the raw oscillator/filter if you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbBH62DAT9Q

Thinking about a Rossum Morpheus, but I want to play a bit with comb filters etc. in software a bit first before I decide for sure.

foosnark wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:48 pm Just bought an AtovProject cDVCA.

Some light dimmers (especially for LEDs) and fan speed controls use PWM instead of voltage control -- the pulse width of an oscillator turns a switch on and off rapidly, and higher width = more intensity. This is the overcomplicated audio version of that, with a filter after it. Except you can mess with the oscillator and filter frequencies for lo-fi fun, and you can just use the raw oscillator/filter if you like.
Interesting! There are some really well known compressors which use PWM for gain control, going back to the venerable PYE compressor. Dave Hill used PWM in a number of Cranesong designs and I think Great River also makes a PWM based compressor.
That's a really neat idea to give you control of the modulator's frequency. It brings me back to the fact that I wish more eurorack oscillators had a broader ultra-sound range.

Definitely adding cDVCA to a future rack (and I have enough spares that I do need to look into another rack).

Just ordered CBA’s Lossy pedal, thanks to little sale

There’s a 3.14% off automatic sale + another 10% off using the code: YAY4UK
The Yay for UK code is because they have a new UK hub.

It was less than $350 total. I already wanted one, so this was just the extra push.

https://www.chasebliss.com/shop/p/lossy ... tent=image

elxsound wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:49 pm

The Yay for UK code is because they have a new UK hub.

certainly wasnt for the weather :lol:

ALM have created a new module Cizzle that seems to replicate a couple of phase distortion oscillators from the Casio CZ era. It sounds good, but it’s pretty wide and at £300 odd priced higher than getting a whole good condition used CZ synth off eBay or Reverb.
https://youtu.be/RSR0fd9wjmI

Are you safe?

foosnark wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:48 pm Thinking about a Rossum Morpheus...
Bought :) I figure I will be using it as a resonator for physical modeling stuff as well as the 90s Emu filter/distortion goodness, and probably some surprising things as well.

cDVCA and Laurence Fishburne The Sandman Morpheus are displacing Interstellar Radio and Harmonic Shift Oscillator.

IR is a fun toy and a cool weird complex oscillator but not really an essential, and from the videos it seems like cDVCA can actually get into similar territory to the results I mostly like from IR.

HSO can sound really lovely, but mostly sounds like a variant on FM; at first I thought I would love that, but to be honest, I think I'm fine with all the FM/PM options I have. (And part of my self-justification for it was that it goes to high enough frequencies for some crude cDVCA-like shenanigans but also IR and Drezno, so in practice I just don't need that anymore.)

foosnark wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:49 pm
foosnark wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:48 pm Thinking about a Rossum Morpheus...
Bought :) I figure I will be using it as a resonator for physical modeling stuff as well as the 90s Emu filter/distortion goodness, and probably some surprising things as well.

cDVCA and Laurence Fishburne The Sandman Morpheus are displacing Interstellar Radio and Harmonic Shift Oscillator.

IR is a fun toy and a cool weird complex oscillator but not really an essential, and from the videos it seems like cDVCA can actually get into similar territory to the results I mostly like from IR.

HSO can sound really lovely, but mostly sounds like a variant on FM; at first I thought I would love that, but to be honest, I think I'm fine with all the FM/PM options I have. (And part of my self-justification for it was that it goes to high enough frequencies for some crude cDVCA-like shenanigans but also IR and Drezno, so in practice I just don't need that anymore.)
You’re famous… just saw you get mentioned on the Elektronauts boards for your move dropping IR!

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/your-modulars/11572/8076

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”