2024: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2024)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A new Year of Gear is coming soon. So, it's time for new thread. :party:

Even though it's not 2024 yet, we can still start this thread by discussing what we hope to get in 2024.

Maybe 2024 is the year I finally find a Microbrute RED at a good price? More likely, I might get one or two small Behringer synths. The JT-4000 and Pro VS Mini both look temptingly adorable. Odds are good, I'll be getting at least one of them in 2024 — assuming I can find one in stock. :wink:

Lately, I'm also feeling an urge to build some of my own custom gear. I'm an electronics tech who spent decades repairing synths, organs, and other electronic music gear—but I haven't built anything from scratch in ages.

On the software side, I'm also considering putting some audio samples, Kontakt instruments, or field recordings online in the coming year. I know those are the opposite of gear purchases, but I might end up getting some new gear along the way, to expedite my sampling and recording activities.

What do you hope to acquire in 2024? :)
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

My short list:
- Upgrade my Pro 3 to a Pro 3 SE
- Downsize my Virus Polar TI2 to the desktop version
- Add a Trigon 6 module

Oh, and buy whatever Elektron releases this year :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

My list:
-Elektron Digitone
-Something Analog
<List your stupid gear here>

What I plan on:
- Mystic Circuits Ana 2 to drop-in replace the Ana I have now.
- Replace Mutable Instruments Blinds with Toppobrillo Cluster. Save some HP, get more convenient crossfading.
- Noise Engineering Alia. I'm pretty much waiting for one more firmware to become available, whether it's Cursus or another new one.

Maybe:
- If itsyourbedtime finishes that cool cassette-like thing they've been working on, that seems really neat.
- Mannequins and Meng Qi are working on a collaboration... 8)
- I really want an Araya Instruments PiezoThing.

What I don't, particularly (but surprises always happen):
- Another synth.
- Another oscillator -- I don't need it (to put it mildly). I know I just mentioned Alia above; that will be swapped in and out with my Ataraxic Iteritas (until/unless there's Ataraxic firmware too).
- Walrus Audio Slöer. I have plenty of reverbs and delays!
- EHX Attack Decay. Decided against it after all.

I'll buy the Synthmaster 3 upgrade.

If Yamaha releases a red or blue BB734A I'll buy that, though TBH I like my matte black one. Alternatively, if I see a used BBPH Peter Hook signature model pop up, I may buy it if it is not outrageous.

I should consider replacing one of my three monosynths with a polysynth but I am still in the honeymoon phase with them all.

I'll finally get me a Korg Minilogue XD this year - I'll put an order in after Christmas. Dunno why I've hesitated so long :?
Next up UBXa whenever it arrives - no brainer, even though I don't rate the original OBXa.
After that, I don't have much urges for any more gear yet. Unless Behringer come good with their promise of a VCS3...

Or a Jupiter.... :hihi:

first purchase of the year may be neutral labs scrat.
there's also an expander coming out for the endless processor, grab that when it's available.

beyond that "we will see..."

im 50 in march (i know, i don't look a day under 75 :o ) so will probably get something to mark the occasion.

kritikon wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:46 pm I'll finally get me a Korg Minilogue XD this year - I'll put an order in after Christmas. Dunno why I've hesitated so long :?
A Minilogue XD Module is exactly what I was considering for an analog poly, or maybe a Pro-800.

I pre-ordered in 2023... but will receive in 2024:

Reliq
Anyma Omega

We never know what will happen, but a couple of ideas:
Getting Mantis when it is available; deciding on a euro rack case that will fit a CAT and KOBAL EXPANDER as well as my Quadrantid Swarm and that fancy mixer that was just released ($1000).

For 2024: Then, for my upcoming LinnStrument Darker Mod revision:

I am thinking of rationalising my field recording setup down to one light weight and one very low noise mic set plus other bits and pieces. Possibly sell off one hydrophone and one ultrasound mic and one field recorder, possibly buy some more wind protection and another lightweight tripod and other bits and pieces like clamps and rod for the two rigs.
For video I have a terrible feeling my great little camera is going to need repairs and I want to get some attachments for my gopro.
Basically clarify what I have and what I tend to use.

Bump for 2024 fans.

Also now lusting after a Digitakt as I am moving more and more away from in the box, seems like a sensible choice. There is also the Akai MPC One+ which is at a pretty amazing price of £579 at Andertons, yet it does seem just a little bit too much like a laptop and DAW, the very thing I want to get away from.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/keyboards-p ... c-one-plus
https://www.andertons.co.uk/keyboards-p ... nd-sampler
<List your stupid gear here>

New Gear's Resolutions:

In the coming year, I'll try not to neglect any of my gear. I want every piece to get some regular use, even if it's just a small amount.

If I can't find a good use for any particular item, it's time to find a new home for it.

I have some broken gear, and I plan to fix everything I'm capable of fixing.

And most importantly, finish more projects with my gear! I mean, that's supposedly why I have the gear, right? :hihi:

Does anyone else have some New Gear's Resolutions they'd like to share? :)
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”