Favorite Cherry Audio Synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For those folks that like Cherry Audio synths, what are you top favorites?

Feel free to pick more than one if you want, but try to list them in order if you can.

Bonus points, if you can describe why they're your favorites. :wink:
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Their Memorymoog is my favorite.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

I have a lot of love for Harmonia. In fact, posting about it made me fire it up and play with it for a while. :D

It's unique. Ignore the presets, it's a synth for tinkerers. It's like two Verbos Harmonic Oscillators but where you can specify the harmonic multiples OR semitones for each partial, and where each partial is a ROMpler instead of a sinewave, and where you can modulate almost everything at audio rate. (And it's polyphonic, which the VHO isn't.) Some of the lo-fi sample content with it is pretty charming too IMHO.

It can get super crazy but can do some clean stuff too, or huge chord pads.

The only other CA synth I have is Quadra. I have barely used it. It can sound pretty fat with a bunch of layers engaged. I don't enjoy the UI very much because there's so much going on, but ironically wish there was more control over some things.

I wanted to like Sines. The concept seemed right up my alley. I just disliked the UI too much for it.

Many of them I don't like but I do like the Mercury-6 and Mercury-4 (Also the Eight Voice is pretty good).

I have ten of them now through Humble Bundle pricing. For that price, all have value. My nostalgia trigger mostly likes the Memorymode and Polymode and I have to say the PS20 has been an unexpected surprise on how much I like it.

I find myself always checking for some special pricing to get more of them and out of the ones I've demo'd, find I have the most fondness for the Novachord/Solovox, seconded by the PS-3300. Liking the demo of the Prosolist as well. And then my nostalgia gets tweaked with the Mercury-6 (although I'm not nearly as impressed with the Mercury-4 I do own.) And their three flag nonemus I would probably pick up at a no-brainer price. Those are probably the only ones I might pay closer to the regular in cart MAP.
The rest would have to come by a PiB style free with purchase or HB charity buy. But there's not a one I wouldn't be happy at owning (at the right price.) I know, I know, they're inexpensive already, but somehow this company brings the cheapskate right out of me...

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:56 pm Many of them I don't like but I do like the Mercury-6 and Mercury-4
Exact same for me.

i just got the ps-20 in a bundle i traded for,
i haven't installed it yet,
looks like it would make a wide range of sounds

The CS80 + synth is lovely

foosnark wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:54 pm I have a lot of love for Harmonia. In fact, posting about it made me fire it up and play with it for a while. :D

It's unique. Ignore the presets, it's a synth for tinkerers. It's like two Verbos Harmonic Oscillators but where you can specify the harmonic multiples OR semitones for each partial, and where each partial is a ROMpler instead of a sinewave, and where you can modulate almost everything at audio rate. (And it's polyphonic, which the VHO isn't.) Some of the lo-fi sample content with it is pretty charming too IMHO.

It can get super crazy but can do some clean stuff too, or huge chord pads.
This description made me wanna try it IMMEDIATELY :hyper:

From all the ones I've tried so far, I only bought and love Mercury 6.
Weirdly enough, I had a Jupiter 6 and didn't like it that much, so I sold it.

I'm going to try Harmonia.

8 voice is my favorite, having played an actual hardware Oberheim 4 voice, I can say they nailed it.
Also the Low Down cops the Taurus thing incredibly well, yep had that hardware too.

Can't beat any of them for the cash.
Happy New Year.

trusampler wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:43 pm Their Memorymoog is my favorite.
It is a sleeper. It's GUI is pretty cheesy looking (which might turn off many) but it actually has a nice phat sound.

The Mercury's ones are also nice.

Really about anything from the last 2 years or so has been pretty high quality. That said, their CPU use are very high.

I think I like the Dreamsynth the best in terms of sound. While it doesn't really model anything I think it is the perfect late 80s Synthwave synth.

foosnark wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:54 pm I have a lot of love for Harmonia. In fact, posting about it made me fire it up and play with it for a while. :D

It's unique. Ignore the presets, it's a synth for tinkerers. It's like two Verbos Harmonic Oscillators but where you can specify the harmonic multiples OR semitones for each partial, and where each partial is a ROMpler instead of a sinewave, and where you can modulate almost everything at audio rate. (And it's polyphonic, which the VHO isn't.)
Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I'd basically dismissed it completely. In reviewing the manual (which is remarkably well done imo) the user-samples loading and the possibility to tune, set volume level, and modulate each of the 8 harmonic partials individually is awesome. Definitely has strong appeal for some 'harmonic' experimental purposes. :tu: :party:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Cherry Audio's analog synths sound better without any of the onboard effects, in straight-up mono. Mercury-4's preset "A True Retrofit" for example. I always load up a mono instance in Logic for CA's synths. Turn of ALL effects immediately. Use my own (better) effects. Hate their chorus.

Parameter lock on synths should be standard, imo.

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:30 pm Parameter lock on synths should be standard, imo.
Yes! :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Harmonia was on a top ten of 23 list I read.

Return to “Instruments”