Serato Sample VST3 Windowing Issue

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I use a Serato Sample VST3 plugin In Mulab 9.3.18 (Windows 11) all looks fine, but when I close and reopen the plugin window it crops a significant portion of the GUI that makes it unusable... If I restart the session it seems fine again on first open of plugin, then wen i close and reopen it the cropped window happens again.

The cropped GUI is shown below...
Serato Sample Broken Window.png
Hope this can be fixed soon, Thanks in advance... D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is anyone able to confirm this issue??? Or am I having a unique problem on my end?

viceverser wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:26 am Is anyone able to confirm this issue??? Or am I having a unique problem on my end?
Is there vst 2 version of serato?

I think so?, I don't have a lot of HD space so I install in order of availability and future proof usage... So I use CLAP, if available, then I use VST3, and lastly I use VST2, but that is a slowly fading out format for me, if not for Airwindows and some VOS refusing to go CLAP or VST3 I'd probably axe VST2 (and VST3 for that matter) if my preferred format (CLAP) was available.

An option to disable individual versions (formats) would make this mess much easier to traverse, as right now I have to make a "ZzREDUNDANTzZ" plugin label to try and hide them from plugins I use.

P.S... I think this is being addressed in the next update with reloading of plugins on reopen of GUI.

With the latest M9.5.17 you can try this:

Start from a new project to ensure no vst plugins are instanciated
Open MuLab's Plugin Manager
Select that VST plugin
Enable its "Always Reset Editor Window" option (in the right side pane)
Close the Plugin Manager
Try your VST plugin again

Does that make a difference?

mutools wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:07 pm With the latest M9.5.17 you can try this:

Start from a new project to ensure no vst plugins are instanciated
Open MuLab's Plugin Manager
Select that VST plugin
Enable its "Always Reset Editor Window" option (in the right side pane)
Close the Plugin Manager
Try your VST plugin again

Does that make a difference?
That's a beta no?

I have had so much trouble with preset management just between the App and Plugin that I'm super anxious about it now... So I stick with the full updates to minimize the fuss and have pulled back on relying on presets that aren't installed with the package.

But once it's officially released I'll check back and let you know.

... D.

viceverser wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:37 pm That's a beta no?
Yes.
I have had so much trouble with preset management just between the App and Plugin that I'm super anxious about it now...
Which trouble?

mutools wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:57 pm
viceverser wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:37 pm That's a beta no?
Yes.
I have had so much trouble with preset management just between the App and Plugin that I'm super anxious about it now...
Which trouble?
There is no unified presets, so when I have made them and tried to create a process in one of the apps (either app, or plugin version) I was then having to try and duplicate the presets manually... So if I have to folder search and spend so much time checking and double checking that the app and FX are unified, I may as well just use the inbuilt presets as much as possible and spend my time making music instead of folder/preset duplicate hunting... I end up just rebuilding it, which to me negates the benefit of the app and plugin being unified... Then the latest debacle with the MuLib presets not even working with the latest version, and it feels very much like the effort of folder/file/preset management is a very wasteful endeavor... I tend to try not to use presets too much because if I switch to using the plugin (or vice versa) I feel frustrated I can't just pick up my personalized workflow and get to work... I literally then find myself folder/file copying instead of just getting down to work.

Then there's the issue of even in the past the MuLib presets can often break because they have dependencies that aren't available without manually knowing where to place them... It is so consuming to fiddle with I find i'm often wasting time with it as a distraction instead of a feature... I just want to twist sounds not folder/file dive any time I try to make a unique preset to use.

I understand that the app is being made to be system independent, so it's probably not logical to expect this to be a fluid process, so I made the choice to limit what I would do with it so I don't find myself being unreasonable.

It's great software, and I love that it's cross platform, and I totally understand your choices... It just means I have to limit the utility of presets if I want to make better use of my limited time actually making music...

The short answer... Every time I make a serious preset for workflow purposes, I have to copy it manually to the FX version too, If I make a functional change on the fly, I then have to resave the preset and copy it over the other one in the other app/plugin... As soon as you get distracted, it's easy to forget if it was the app with the App with the latest save preset, or the plugin, then it's check, compare copy and PRAY you don't touch or want to update the preset again... It's so daunting to do this that I have just resigned myself to only using the bare minimum I can, so I don't have to bother with it too much... But it very much is a turnoff from using the app/plugin effectively... I more often than not use the plugin and save the entire state as a preset in the host... Then I shy away from using the app.

I really do dream of using the full functionality of them both, but the workflow holes are such a distraction for the way I like to work.

Again... This is just my opinion, and I don't want it to seem hyper critical... The good things I can use are great, and that's ok for me.

Anyways... A bit ranty, but I'm not the best at being concise sometimes, so I waffle until I feel like I make sense...

Great app, lots of fun, can't wait to see how it evolves...

Cheers for all the great work... D.

I have updated all but a few mulib presets to M9 but need to get them uploaded to mulib. Just waiting for Jo to have time :)
Last edited by sl23 on Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

viceverser wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:34 am There is no unified presets, so when I have made them and tried to create a process in one of the apps (either app, or plugin version) I was then having to try and duplicate the presets manually.
The solution is simple:
* Choose some good general folder location for your MuLab User Library.
* Open MuLab App -> MuLab menu -> Preferences -> User Library Folder -> choose that folder
* Open MuLab Plugin -> MuLab menu -> Preferences -> User Library Folder -> choose that folder

So now MuLab App and MuLab Plugin use the very same User Library Folder.
No double folder hassle anymore.

Is it just the MuLab 'App' folder that can't be combined then? If you remember, I enquired about combining the app and plugin in the same folder but you said its not advisable. So I could set up the plugin to use the app user folder then. That's not so bad, cos least, as discussed above, we can have a central place for both plugin and app.

I would like them to both use the same app folder, but that's probably me being ocd about it lol
If you should feel inclined to do so, I wouldn't complain! :)

There is a big difference between combining the MuLab App and MuLab Plugin folders, and what i wrote above which is specifically about the User Library Folder, which can be managed via MuLab menu -> Preferences.

OK, I haven't inspected the named 'App' folders, I originally assumed they were the same, or at least shared the same structure and many of the same files. But yes that's a good work around :tu:

mutools wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:23 pm
viceverser wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:34 am There is no unified presets, so when I have made them and tried to create a process in one of the apps (either app, or plugin version) I was then having to try and duplicate the presets manually.
The solution is simple:
* Choose some good general folder location for your MuLab User Library.
* Open MuLab App -> MuLab menu -> Preferences -> User Library Folder -> choose that folder
* Open MuLab Plugin -> MuLab menu -> Preferences -> User Library Folder -> choose that folder

So now MuLab App and MuLab Plugin use the very same User Library Folder.
No double folder hassle anymore.
What is the preferred folder position (if any) for this, and can it be relative? Or is it just absolute? Just curious because MuLab seems to be system independent, so as it can't run in the programs folder without privileges issues, maybe a portable app might be the bonus? So it's a 'feature' instead of a 'bug'.?

I will see what foibles I run into with this option. Thanks for the option. Will report back.

sl23 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:58 pm OK, I haven't inspected the named 'App' folders, I originally assumed they were the same, or at least shared the same structure and many of the same files. But yes that's a good work around :tu:
I had the SAME thing... Also didn't like not having the app in Programs folder, I feel like I'm doing something wrong with this non standard file structure.

How manipulated our perspective can be by corporatists, in this regard it's certainly better to break 'habits' that were decided by corporate hegemons... But now I want a 'preferred' installation path from the app devs... Weird for sure.

:tu: D.

Return to “MUTOOLS”