What is this chord called? D, F#, A, and C#

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On the piano, I play a D with my left hand, and with my right I play A, C#, and F#. So it would be an F# minor chord with a D added. Or is it some kind of augmented D chord?
The progression I use is this chord first, then the left hand playing a G, with the right hand playing B, D and F# (B minor chord). So it's a Bminor chord with G added. Not sure what that chord would be named, either.
I don't understand music theory a lot, so I hope this makes sense.

That is a major 7th. Both are.

NKF wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:20 pmThat is a major 7th. Both are.
D and G
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

BTW, I've seen this (even from at least one totally top musician, thankfully I've forgotten who) as regards "B minor with a G": "Bm-6".
But it's always going to sound like what it is, a G major 7th. B at bottom ie., 'in the bass' means it's a first inversion harmony.

Pianoman681 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:11 pm On the piano, I play a D with my left hand, and with my right I play A, C#, and F#. So it would be an F# minor chord with a D added. Or is it some kind of augmented D chord?
The progression I use is this chord first, then the left hand playing a G, with the right hand playing B, D and F# (B minor chord). So it's a Bminor chord with G added. Not sure what that chord would be named, either.
All other replies are correct: DM7 and GM7, but the major third is an octave above, so it is a major tenth instead. I use this particular inversion very frequently on the LinnStrument's tritone layout.

Alot depends on what other instruments are playing whether the inversion sounds like a Major7th or something else... Sometimes they can resemble a suspended chord or a minor. Here is a very short tune where I go from Dminor7 to Cminor7 & back again then ending verse with EbMaj7th, Repeat all that again & tune done but the EbMaj7th has a suspended feel-

https://soundcloud.com/waxing-and-waning/apache-swagger

It's not a very good tune, Done painting notes in piano roll with mouse in Aero Studio. The Lead is Twin2 with 'Grittar' preset>>>

eLawnMust wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:36 pm Alot depends on what other instruments are playing whether the inversion sounds like a Major7th or something
The thing is what is is: G B D F# is a G major triad with a major seventh. The only way it wouldn't be obviously that will tend strongly to be clueless arranging. Place G way, way out of range in the upper octaves, double the f**k out of B as bass ad naus, where G is in danger of coming across as a bad note or needs resolving. 6/4 inversion (D bass) G^7 is not going to ever not sound like a G^7. You may call it "D major add 6 add 11 no 5th", but we're into bullshit now. There is a simple and clear concept and the sound of the thing is knowable. "Keep it simple, stupid" rules OK.

These things are built by thirds, per se, and the analysis follows.
'A lot depends on instrumentation', not really. Edge cases.

honestly, the ad culum kind of 'smarter than' stuff strikes me as a reach, & probably not the outcome of having tested ideas in reality; and muddies clear waters here, particularly given it was a beginner question.

Return to “Music Theory”