Dexed
Cardinal
Quanta 2
Odin 2
Surge-XT
Yoshimi
Vaporizer 2
ADLPlug

Assuming that I also use a sampler (TAL-Sampler), and assuming the ability to layer sounds with multiple tracks, is there any synth sound that I can’t create? I’ve thought long and hard, and I can’t think of any.

I’m looking for holes in my sonic palette, but I don’t see any. In fact, I think the number of synths I currently have listed is redundant.Do any of you see anything missing in my tool set?
Last edited by audiojunkie on Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

There may be, but the question is, do you need them?

a cosmic schwang.

seafire wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:25 pm There may be, but the question is, do you need them?
At this point, no. But I’m interested in seeing how much I may be missing of the sonic palette. 🙂 I’m working towards minimizing my tool set.
Last edited by audiojunkie on Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:27 pm a cosmic schwang.
That sounds cool! What kind of synthesis must one use to create one? 😉

it's hard to know, till you try to come up with a sound, and can't quite get it right.
you are covered for all synth types for example, but does any one synth have everything required to perfect a given sound?
ie your va may lack the number of lfos or envelopes required...
but you can still make a va bass.

You have no PM, or vocal or orchestral synth, so can't make those sounds, just off the top. Not that you want to. Dont see a cowbell synth either
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:39 pm it's hard to know, till you try to come up with a sound, and can't quite get it right.
you are covered for all synth types for example, but does any one synth have everything required to perfect a given sound?
ie your va may lack the number of lfos or envelopes required...
but you can still make a va bass.
Good point

Michael L wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:30 pm You have no PM, or vocal or orchestral synth, so can't make those sounds, just off the top. Not that you want to. Dont see a cowbell synth either
Well, I was speaking mainly about synth sounds. I have Sfizz and close to 120GB of sample libraries that I didn’t mention. In all honesty, once I sort through all the libraries and weed out what I don’t like, I’ll probably end up with a quarter of that that will make muster. But I figure I’m at least to some extent covered for acoustic/real/orchestral sounds. Though I do admit that I don’t have yet a guitar library with which I am satisfied.

As for PM synthesis, doesn’t FM synthesis cover largely the same ground?

As for vocal synthesis, that is one that I am planning on buying, but I don’t yet have—Synth V. As I get older and older, I find that my voice no longer sounds good to my ears—it was probably always that way, but now that I’ve noticed it, I can’t stop thinking about it—and I am my hardest critic. Also, my hands are starting to learn what arthritis feels like, and some days I just don’t want to play my guitar—thus the search for a proper guitar library. 🙂

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:04 pm As for PM synthesis, doesn’t FM synthesis cover largely the same ground?
if pm = phase modulation, kinda - there are key differences in the sound that come down to differences in implementation if you're comparing analogue-style fm to Yamaha-style pm.

but I suspect Michael meant pm = physical modelling, so not so much.

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:04 pm
Michael L wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:30 pm You have no PM, or vocal or orchestral synth, so can't make those sounds, just off the top. Not that you want to. Dont see a cowbell synth either
Well, I was speaking mainly about synth sounds. I have Sfizz and close to 120GB of sample libraries that I didn’t mention. In all honesty, once I sort through all the libraries and weed out what I don’t like, I’ll probably end up with a quarter of that that will make muster. But I figure I’m at least to some extent covered for acoustic/real/orchestral sounds. Though I do admit that I don’t have yet a guitar library with which I am satisfied.

As for vocal synthesis, that is one that I am planning on buying, but I don’t yet have—Synth V. As I get older and older, I find that my voice no longer sounds good to my ears—it was probably always that way, but now that I’ve noticed it, I can’t stop thinking about it—and I am my hardest critic. Also, my hands are starting to learn what arthritis feels like, and some days I just don’t want to play my guitar—thus the search for a proper guitar library. 🙂
Many PM synthesizers go beyond modeling known instruments and can create new, never before heard sounds. Check out Plasmonic.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:16 pm

Many PM synthesizers go beyond modeling known instruments and can create new, never before heard sounds. Check out Plasmonic.
Agreed! Plasmonic is one synth I’ve been watching. I’ve been trying really hard to stay completely Linux native with my software, but I have to admit that there are a few things that the Linux ecosystem lacks—like the above mentioned lack of a high quality virtual guitar library….and physical modeling to tge caliber of Plasmonic. That’s where WINE comes in, I guess. But I definitely prefer native apps. 🙂

Another thing that you seem to be missing is some sort of resynthesis-spectral or additive synthesis. I’m still using Camel Audio’s Alchemy, now only available on Macintosh devices. Virsyn’s Poseidon too, though it’s abandonware. Not sure what’s best now. I’m having fun with Tomofon by Klevgrand, I think it’s still on sale.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:24 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:16 pm

Agreed! Plasmonic is one synth I’ve been watching. I’ve been trying really hard to stay completely Linux native with my software, but I have to admit that there are a few things that the Linux ecosystem lacks—like the above mentioned lack of a high quality virtual guitar library….and physical modeling to tge caliber of Plasmonic. That’s where WINE comes in, I guess. But I definitely prefer native apps. 🙂
My friend Noah is fond of saying, “Linux is only free to those who don’t value their time. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:26 pm Another thing that you seem to be missing is some sort of resynthesis-spectral or additive synthesis. I’m still using Camel Audio’s Alchemy, now only available on Macintosh devices. Virsyn’s Poseidon too, though it’s abandonware. Not sure what’s best now. I’m having fun with Tomofon by Klevgrand, I think it’s still on sale.
Yoshimi does additive synthesis, but I’ve always wanted to get something that has really good quality resynthesis. I don’t think anything I have does spectral. Wait, I think Vital does spectral. I didn’t list it because I feel like it is abandon-ware, but it still is available and is Linux native. 🙂

Return to “Sound Design”