Never-ending Beyerdynamic battle

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone :D ,

I am about to trade in some of my old equipment and get new toys to play with. One of the things I am selling are Audio Technica 50x. They don't fit comfortably, the sound is not as great as it could be (compared to what I have tried) and lastly not the best choice for mix and master.

I've read reviews and decided to give Beyerdynamics a chance. I tried 770s at the guitar store the other day and the initial sound and comfort were phenomenal :phones: . However I am not sure which specific model will suit me and my producing needs best. closed back 770 pros, somewhat closed/open 880 pros or fully open 990 pros. That's why I want to hear opinions of people with experience so that maybe you can understand my situation and recommend best ones for that.

I compose electronica :borg: (with occasional dance blend) and work with my DAW and plugin instruments. I use MiniFuse 2 audio interface. I do occasionally record vocals and very very rarely electric guitar. This point goes in favor of closed back to stop any sound going into mic but lets ignore it since its less important now. I want a model that will allow me to comfortably enjoy playing plugin instruments with pleasant sound, record them and then mix and master my tracks.

I know there are certain contradicting points and that's why I am asking for best possible advice. Of course in the future I hope to upgrade to a full studio with monitors (better choice for mixing and mastering) but right now I need headphones to be my go to for play, mix and master. Also please indicate which impedance level should I go with because frankly this is where I have 0 clue.

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards.

I have the DT 900 pro X (open) at the moment - great sound and very comfortable. They replaced my very old DT250s (closed) which were also great. I prefer the open headphone for longer listening sessions and just for sound in general - but have not made a side by side comparison for sound. There is no doubt the 900 are more comfortable than the 250.

Closed headphones can be a bit strange in the way they isolate you as a listener - can be useful at times but is not a very natural experience compared to the open headphone design

If you can test all the models in that price range and go for the one that sounds best to you and perhaps more importantly is most comfortable. All of the models in that range will be good so will come down to personal preference

I have the DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm for years and I am always amazed to realize how much more I need to spend (somehitng the 450+ Euros price range) to get something substantially better - esp if you use some crossfeed/ correction software in the DAW. The DT 990 / 900 are a bit more dynamic and natural because they are open. The 880 give you a bit of isolation that works well in a studio but won't close off the world. I was never comfortable with closed headphones.

I don't work with your style of music and I'm not a professional but I can give a bit of information on the DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm. I've been using them for about a year mostly for editing my violin recordings in Ableton. They've worked well for me.

If you're worried about the impedance side of things for 250 Ohm headphones, I usually plug them directly into my interface (Scarlett 2i2) and have had no issues with volume/powering them. I don't use them for general listening usually but I've tried testing them out by plugging them into my iPhone, Windows laptop and have had no issues powering them and getting a decent volume. Your mileage may vary of course.

I have both the DT 990 and 770 (got both used) and they are really great value and comfort.

But I'll only use the 770 for recording, when it's important to have no sound leaking though. Otherwise I like the open back feeling much better. I think the DT 990 are the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my ears.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

dt1990 are very very good. They need some small EQ correction to make them 'flat', but the underlying sound is amazingly detailed and the response/transient is just fantastic so easy to hear things like small differences in attack/release times, and the sharper edges of percussion etc

As said above the comfort level is also fantastic can be worn for many hours, no overheating. Notably the construction is also very solid. Hard metal cases. Very well engineered. Will last for many years I think.

Is there someone here that could compare the sound and quality between the three prices ranges? E.g. a 990 vs a 900 Pro X vs a DT 1990?

I also have a (used again :D) DT-1990 and they do have awesome sound. But I also have got to admit that the 990 are more comfortable and lightweight. They feel more open back to me than the DT-1990. But yes, the DT-1990 do have a more detailed sound and they're the ones I'll use when making music / mixing. I still think that the 990 have a better price-value ratio.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

880Pro 250ohm. Very comfortable with glasses. I used corrective EQ for the cans.

Get open or semi open unless you can’t (noisy environment or people who’ll be annoyed).

Fannon wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:32 am Is there someone here that could compare the sound and quality between the three prices ranges? E.g. a 990 vs a 900 Pro X vs a DT 1990?
Lots of videos doing this on Youtube.

https://new.reddit.com/r/headphones/ is a great place too.

We own the DT 1990 pro and the 770 pro, along with a couple Audio Technica m50x. DT 1990 and 770 are fantastic headphones, but my 1990 are clearly the best in the house when compared between those, or as compared to my custom and non custom IEMs. (I have a 'Dark Magician' and Monarch mk2 IEM, with the Monarch mk2 being rated the best IEM). It isnt really fair to compare headphones with IEMs, especially in mixing/mastering spaces, but in terms of enjoyment of music playback, video games, etc, the 1990 are my everything headphones.

My DT 1990 were a replacement for a Shure SRH1540 which were way, way too shouty and weak in the low range. Not sure about that 900 Pro X though.

Beyerdynamic is quality, I'm still using my DT250 bought twenty years ago in London in the music shop where I worked, Turnkey, memories! And it wasn't expensive.
Strong and durable yet soft and comfortable.
Works with my mobile phone too.
Makes me doubt those fancy plastic consumer grade headphones. When my 250 go I'll probably buy 990 or 770, might last me till the end of my production days!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”