Extinguished (Seismic Minimalist Obsolescence)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used EXT64 to put this piece of minimal ambience together. Reaktor5 and TassMan4 also feature on here. I made this one night last April, but only just found the time to upload it. Best listened to in poor or non-existent lighting situations, imho.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/extinguished

Recorded/Mixed in EXT64beta1-mar23
Mastered in T-Racks 5

Devices and Utensils

Reaktor5
TassMan4
Spitfire LABS
kHs Gain
Aether
Equivocate
Satin
Linear Phase EQ
EQP-1A

DR - 12

Edit: 20240120 - I remixed this yesterday, lowering the noise levels in two modules within one instance of TassMan4, then lowered the volume level and re-EQ'd that instance. I also changed the EQ on the LABS instance, and then remastered the track.
Last edited by seismic1 on Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oooh, this is lovely! Nice 'voyage'.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Listening in a suboptimal environment (a plane) but this is lovely. Definitely took me to a peaceful place. I haven’t thought of Tasman in a long time. I remember ages ago (over 20 years ago) a version used to be included in Sonar.

Listening to this I am picturing sitting on a high cliff watching clouds slowly float by at different speeds and heights in a peaceful blue sky. However, looking down into the chasm, there is fog and some kind of menace below. I decide it is safer to keep my eyes skyward. Since what I can't see, can't hurt me or can it? :-o

A rich, deceptively simple composition that expertly blends the carefully chosen sound sources. Holds up very well to repeated listenings.

(There is a particular rattling, scratchy sound (at 1:34, 2:06, 3:10, etc.) that I wish was a bit lower in the mix.)

Shabdahbriah wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:36 am Oooh, this is lovely! Nice 'voyage'.
Thanks very much for checking this out and commenting, Shabdahbriah. Glad you enjoyed it :)

It sounds like something is over (extinguished). Gorgeous sounds and beautifully composed/played.
It also sounds like it's breathing, or trying to.
Well done!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Definitely something very mysterious... but do we really want to find out what 'it' is?
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

folderol wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:15 pm Definitely something very mysterious... but do we really want to find out what 'it' is?
Probably not...
Bandcamp

Nice tranquill soundscape and mood.

ecamburn wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:37 am Listening in a suboptimal environment (a plane) but this is lovely. Definitely took me to a peaceful place.
Music for aircraft :wink:
ecamburn wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:37 am I haven’t thought of Tasman in a long time. I remember ages ago (over 20 years ago) a version used to be included in Sonar.
I don't use TassMan very often (probably once every 12-15 months), but it's certainly a very capable synth. I should use it more often.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, ecamburn. Glad you liked it :)

Very enjoyable on this dark and snowy day.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

Frantz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:13 am Listening to this I am picturing sitting on a high cliff watching clouds slowly float by at different speeds and heights in a peaceful blue sky. However, looking down into the chasm, there is fog and some kind of menace below. I decide it is safer to keep my eyes skyward. Since what I can't see, can't hurt me or can it? :-o
Great description, Frantz. I can see what you are getting at :D

In this case, keeping one's eyes skyward appears to be the polar opposite, but functional equivalent of burying one's head in the sand. An interesting conundrum.
Frantz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:13 am A rich, deceptively simple composition that expertly blends the carefully chosen sound sources. Holds up very well to repeated listenings.
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Frantz. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Frantz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:13 am (There is a particular rattling, scratchy sound (at 1:34, 2:06, 3:10, etc.) that I wish was a bit lower in the mix.)
I've just remixed this, lowering the noise levels in two modules within one of the TassMan4 instances, then lowered the volume level and re-EQ'd that instance. I also changed the EQ on the LABS instance, and then remastered the track.

seismic1 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:26 am I've just remixed this, lowering the noise levels in two modules within one of the TassMan4 instances, then lowered the volume level and re-EQ'd that instance. I also changed the EQ on the LABS instance, and then remastered the track.
I think the new mix is perfect. :phones:

Having another listen after the remix. It sounds glorious!
:)
Bandcamp

Allomerus wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:09 am It sounds like something is over (extinguished). Gorgeous sounds and beautifully composed/played.
It also sounds like it's breathing, or trying to.
Well done!
The title was a reference to one of the visual/sonic effects from David Lynch's "Wild at Heart", and the Reaktor patch I used on here.

Some of these slower, minimal, rhythmic ambient pieces do seem to have respiratory similarities.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, John. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Return to “Music Cafe”