G.A.S.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FarleyCZ wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:01 am But here's an ugly truth: Nobody pays for music. Listeners pay their ransom to Spotify so Spotify can pay their ransom to major labels. That's the whole flow of money in the actual music recording consumption. Nothing else is there. But! ...world needs devs to have software for making music. If these devs were paid only by those 20-ish major producers making top40 tracks, they would go bankrupt in a week. So in a way, music world needs all the fools like me (or you? 😉) with their GAS to actually stay functional. Because excluding the Spotify ransoms, that's the only cashflow in the recording business that's left.
Live performing? I used to get paid pretty decently playing for raves, is that gone now?

Not yet, not yet. Thankfully. But if you focus just on the recording part, then that field is bone dry when it comes to cashflow. I dare to say that 90% of music software sales are subsidized from other hustles. (Be it live performing or something completely unrelated to music.)
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

More blatant consumerism and questioning gear purchasing. I'm shocked that youtube influencers have the brain capacity to question themselves:

https://youtu.be/DOMe-n4lznA
<List your stupid gear here>

I hate YT now.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

It doesn’t count if it’s $29.99 or less.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I'd like to be the Ricky Tinez of cheap used gear. I'd like my compact creations to be as compact as my wallet.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Ridiculous videos just to pander to subscribers & keep up a monetized flow... It is not wise to expose such spending spectacle...

Back in 2001 Daniel Bedingfield made hit single 'Gotta Get Through This' using Making Waves Studio for like 70 bucks ended up being a hit single he made like 400 grand off it & those were dollars worth alot more than nowadays...

This is Making Waves 1.95 from 1999 Bedingfield was probably using 2.04 which is virtually the same-

The tune had several versions, this is one-

https://soundcloud.com/calvinsneddon/da ... -versionto

Now peeps make money with ridiculous YT videos about crap nobody cares about... Boy there are gonna be some high-rise jumpers when YT goes down for any length (or the internet as well)...

Here's the more 'known' version-

https://soundcloud.com/team-slinky/24-g ... rough-this

Interesting topic:)
As a tight budget home producer i would say,that most important is to find 'right' tools for your,even dare to say with some budget solution could achieve more original results,than using a famous ''industry standard'' .
FIrst record i ever did was on tape cassette,rhythm guitar with some background noise coming from the window,then solo over first guitar with another background noise - to this day i remember how impressive the result was,just random sync between the two guitars and rhythmic percussive background noise :)
Creativity is important,not the expensive tools.
Cheers :)

Jac459 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:19 pm
Man, having an amazing wife really sucks...
if one is lucky...

I think it really depends on where you are at 1) as a musician and 2) financially in your life. I've been playing guitar for a very long time and when you start out, you're not even going to be able to appreciate what makes high end gear high end. There is definitely a difference between good gear and super low end stuff at least on the hardware side. But good is often still very affordable.

OTOH, if you finally paid off all your debt and have some disposable income, you can spend it on whatever the he11 you want.

Ironically, I used to make more and "better" music when I had less gear.

Everytime you buy new stuff, you also have go through the manual or watch YouTube tutorials to learn how to use it. So you end up spending less time making music (which is the most important thing for me).

As I grew older (36 years old at this point) I started to appreciate more the value of time, so I got rid of everything and now only have what I consider "essential" (at least in my case)

-Telecaster (plus a dozen of effects)
-P bass
-Couple of midi controllers and Push 2.
-Laptop with Ableton (with a few plug-ins)
-Pair of 8 inch monitors
-Interface and a couple of mics.

So I totally agree with this comment below:
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:58 am Interesting topic:)
As a tight budget home producer i would say,that most important is to find 'right' tools for your,even dare to say with some budget solution could achieve more original results,than using a famous ''industry standard'' .
FIrst record i ever did was on tape cassette,rhythm guitar with some background noise coming from the window,then solo over first guitar with another background noise - to this day i remember how impressive the result was,just random sync between the two guitars and rhythmic percussive background noise :)
Creativity is important,not the expensive tools.
Cheers :)

IMO gear pushers talking about GAS is just influencers doing what they do, attempt to get you to waste ten minutes watching them stretch one minute of content so they get add revenue.

I think anyone who has a regular job that takes up most of your time can suffer from GAS In the sense that you collect gear you don't have the time to use or learn to use, but that does not automagically translate to buying something that you don't use because it "doesn't make music for you" as Cameron said in the video.

Like most youtube videos there is never a clear addressing if the reason why someone might buy gear and never use it, and that's exactly why I don't really watch influencers, it's all fluff at some point. IMO there are a few reasons besides time eating into your ability to sit down and be creative. Things like musical dead ends, reaching the limit of your knowledge of theory, no end goal in mind for the finished project, and writers block. IMO the last one can be a driving force behind GAS for sure.

Giving yourself limitations is IMO the number one thing you can do to get over writers block, force yourself to use a limited pallet, and time frame. Followed by learning the gear you have, and maybe refreshing your knowledge of theory etc.

Lastly, there are no rules to this, I own a Metasonix Wretch Machine, the things is a brutal ugly noise maker that has no equivelant in software. It gets used rarely because that sound is dominating in any song you put it in, but I wouldn't want to be without it.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:47 pm IMO gear pushers talking about GAS is just influencers doing what they do, attempt to get you to waste ten minutes watching them stretch one minute of content so they get add revenue.
its a bit of an odd one though, essentially "hey, dont buy the products we push..."
what are the advertisers suppose to do with that? :hihi:

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:27 pm
machinesworking wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:47 pm IMO gear pushers talking about GAS is just influencers doing what they do, attempt to get you to waste ten minutes watching them stretch one minute of content so they get add revenue.
its a bit of an odd one though, essentially "hey, dont buy the products we push..."
what are the advertisers suppose to do with that? :hihi:
Marketing will find a way, mental health and addiction services come to mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHEOGrkhDp0&t=94s

I think anyone who has a regular job that takes up most of your time can suffer from GAS In the sense that you collect gear you don't have the time to use or learn to use, but that does not automagically translate to buying something that you don't use because it "doesn't make music for you" as Cameron said in the video.

Like most youtube videos there is never a clear addressing if the reason why someone might buy gear and never use it, and that's exactly why I don't really watch influencers, it's all fluff at some point. IMO there are a few reasons besides time eating into your ability to sit down and be creative. Things like musical dead ends, reaching the limit of your knowledge of theory, no end goal in mind for the finished project, and writers block. IMO the last one can be a driving force behind GAS for sure.

Giving yourself limitations is IMO the number one thing you can do to get over writers block, force yourself to use a limited pallet, and time frame. Followed by learning the gear you have, and maybe refreshing your knowledge of theory etc.

Lastly, there are no rules to this, I own a Metasonix Wretch Machine, the things is a brutal ugly noise maker that has no equivelant in software. It gets used rarely because that sound is dominating in any song you put it in, but I wouldn't want to be without it.
But honestly, influencers can say what they want, at the end, people (we) are not that stupid. When we are buying a gear we don't really need, we are not fooling anybody including ourselves. It is also a large part of pure pleasure of having the instrument. The videos or article we can watch are just excuses to confirm us.

Maybe this is less true for "this magic fet compressor" or "that pro vocal chain" which are particularly targeting our FOMO (fear off missing out) in their marketing but I guess a large part of us are not taking for this bullshit anyway.

Maybe a counter example of what I said is unison audio in the software (SAS) realm ... How come this brand still exist? it is a mystery for me.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”