G.A.S.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Classically the first step towards curing addiction is admitting you have a problem. So I'm OK as I don't have GAS. :wink:

As to practicing playing music, being productive and making lots of music...pffft. sounds obsessional to me. I'd rather spend my time acquiring stuff, which takes far less effort.

And as for everything needs to have a use - I may not play some synths regularly, but they all have uses. Some have really pretty lights (B2600), some fill gaps on stands/racks (all the Junos, and they have great gaps to place drinks on at the side without having to worry about spilling them as those Junos are f**ked already), some add colour to the studio and make it a more pleasant environment (blueberry 303). And the rest just make me happy, so they have no more reason to exist than that. :shrug:
Last edited by kritikon on Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All yearnings of the soul can be satisfied with consumerism ;)

Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:04 pm All yearnings of the soul can be satisfied with consumerism ;)
I buy that premise.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:04 pm All yearnings of the soul can be satisfied with consumerism ;)
even the sexy ones.
theres a website for anything nowadays. amazon.

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:44 pm
I buy that premise.
LOL! I see what you did there.

Look at the status symbols in the guys video. Showing off his 3rd Wave, Iridium, Polybrute. But you peasants, just learn to deal with your addictions okay, while influencers require these symbols for their job so it's completely necessary to show them off, just a sad part of life. Next video he'll be showing his wads and bundles of cash all over the desk, and the pretty dancers on poles dancing in the background.
<List your stupid gear here>

Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:27 am Skipping upgrades is a good place to start. Once I've skipped one, I find that skipping subsequent upgrades is easier, and I'm more productive because the things I know well aren't constantly changing.
I'm actually pretty good about not updating my software bundles every year and I actually do have a tendency to skip at least one version of Arturia's bundles, Izotope, and Native Instruments, etc. But when the time comes around to buy that Black Friday Izotope bundle upgrade from JRRShop for about the cost of dinner and a movie, I cave in and add another gazillion plugins to my pile. So, yeah, it's all your fault. :x :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:24 pm
Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:27 am Skipping upgrades is a good place to start. Once I've skipped one, I find that skipping subsequent upgrades is easier, and I'm more productive because the things I know well aren't constantly changing.
I'm actually pretty good about not updating my software bundles every year and I actually do have a tendency to skip at least one version of Arturia's bundles, Izotope, and Native Instruments, etc. But when the time comes around to buy that Black Friday Izotope bundle upgrade from JRRShop for about the cost of dinner and a movie, I cave in and add another gazillion plugins to my pile. So, yeah, it's all your fault. :x :hihi:
I look at each bundle upgrade as a cost-per-plugin-I-want ratio. If that number is pretty low, $50 or so, I'll jump on it. But if that number is high, pass. I don't know what Arturia was thinking this time, but they were not thinking of me as a customer.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:49 pm:hug:
Uncle E, you are like a dealer in a drug addicts discussion group here 🤣🤣🤣.

But your stuff is good so it is ok....

kritikon wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:01 pm Classically the first step towards curing addiction is admitting you have a problem. So I'm OK as I don't have GAS. :wink:

As to practicing playing music, being productive and making lots of music...pffft. sounds obsessional to me. I'd rather spend my time acquiring stuff, which takes far less effort.

And as for everything needs to have a use - I may not play some synths regularly, but they all have uses. Some have really pretty lights (B2600), some fill gaps on stands/racks (all the Junos, and they have great gaps to place drinks on at the side without having to worry about spilling them as those Junos are f**ked already), some add colour to the studio and make it a more pleasant environment (blueberry 303). And the rest just make me happy, so they have no more reason to exist than that. :shrug:
Ha ha, excellent points there 😅.

egbert101 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:06 pm Look at the status symbols in the guys video. Showing off his 3rd Wave, Iridium, Polybrute. But you peasants, just learn to deal with your addictions okay, while influencers require these symbols for their job so it's completely necessary to show them off, just a sad part of life. Next video he'll be showing his wads and bundles of cash all over the desk, and the pretty dancers on poles dancing in the background.
I had to unfollow this guy because I couldn't stand watching videos like this with him (not so) subtly showcasing his tens of thousands of dollars of hardware in the background. Also did I misunderstand or did he actually go out and buy that entry-level Arturia interface and cheapish mic because of that person's comment? Because if so that's an absolutely hilarious way to fail to make your point. Consumerism is a hell of a drug (and to be fair I'm as guilty as anyone).
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

I definitely do have GAS and I absolutely stand behind what Cameron (Venus Theory) said in that video.

But here's an ugly truth: Nobody pays for music. Listeners pay their ransom to Spotify so Spotify can pay their ransom to major labels. That's the whole flow of money in the actual music recording consumption. Nothing else is there. But! ...world needs devs to have software for making music. If these devs were paid only by those 20-ish major producers making top40 tracks, they would go bankrupt in a week. So in a way, music world needs all the fools like me (or you? 😉) with their GAS to actually stay functional. Because excluding the Spotify ransoms, that's the only cashflow in the recording business that's left.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

i don't have gas, but i am a social butterfly, so have lots of things delivered so i can chat to drivers :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”