G.A.S.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jac459 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:10 am But honestly, influencers can say what they want, at the end, people (we) are not that stupid. When we are buying a gear we don't really need, we are not fooling anybody including ourselves. It is also a large part of pure pleasure of having the instrument. The videos or article we can watch are just excuses to confirm us.

Maybe this is less true for "this magic fet compressor" or "that pro vocal chain" which are particularly targeting our FOMO (fear off missing out) in their marketing but I guess a large part of us are not taking for this bullshit anyway.

Maybe a counter example of what I said is unison audio in the software (SAS) realm ... How come this brand still exist? it is a mystery for me.
I really don't know, a music partner of mine is really into Venus Theory, and I find it weird. I have a hard time with any sort of hero worship though, I just don't really get it. I can't take any influencers seriously, it seems like a piss poor choice for companionship or camaraderie, we're in a weird age.

I got immediately turned off the first time I wanted real information from youtube influencers, it simply didn't work out, they spend far too much time trying to be likable and not enough on the actual gear, DAW etc. So I look for videos on things I'm interested in without a talking head, and that can help.

In the end none of this matters, do you enjoy your hobby, career, or artistic outlet? That's pretty much it, in the end we all die and everything we do is meaningless in the face of the universe, the only goal is to enjoy the ride.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:17 am
Jac459 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:10 am But honestly, influencers can say what they want, at the end, people (we) are not that stupid. When we are buying a gear we don't really need, we are not fooling anybody including ourselves. It is also a large part of pure pleasure of having the instrument. The videos or article we can watch are just excuses to confirm us.

Maybe this is less true for "this magic fet compressor" or "that pro vocal chain" which are particularly targeting our FOMO (fear off missing out) in their marketing but I guess a large part of us are not taking for this bullshit anyway.

Maybe a counter example of what I said is unison audio in the software (SAS) realm ... How come this brand still exist? it is a mystery for me.
I really don't know, a music partner of mine is really into Venus Theory, and I find it weird. I have a hard time with any sort of hero worship though, I just don't really get it. I can't take any influencers seriously, it seems like a piss poor choice for companionship or camaraderie, we're in a weird age.

I got immediately turned off the first time I wanted real information from youtube influencers, it simply didn't work out, they spend far too much time trying to be likable and not enough on the actual gear, DAW etc. So I look for videos on things I'm interested in without a talking head, and that can help.

In the end none of this matters, do you enjoy your hobby, career, or artistic outlet? That's pretty much it, in the end we all die and everything we do is meaningless in the face of the universe, the only goal is to enjoy the ride.
Whaou, somebody is being a fan of Venus theory? I am surprised. I mean is a sympathetic person and what it does is good quality but not somebody I would like up too....

For the rest I am on the same side as you. I like practical and straight to the point tutorials. The series on Avenger 2 on their channel is awesome and exactly that.

XNB is a good channel doing that also but the pace is a bit too slow.

Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:08 am
Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:49 pm:hug:
Uncle E, you are like a dealer in a drug addicts discussion group here 🤣🤣🤣.

But your stuff is good so it is ok....
Let's support drug's manufacturers! Especially small ones! And dealers too! They need to eat and pay bills, they have families... 😈

🤣🤣🤣

lobanov wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:55 am
Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:08 am
Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:49 pm:hug:
Uncle E, you are like a dealer in a drug addicts discussion group here 🤣🤣🤣.

But your stuff is good so it is ok....
Let's support drug's manufacturers! Especially small ones! And dealers too! They need to eat and pay bills, they have families... 😈

🤣🤣🤣
Wise words...

Jac459 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:14 am Whaou, somebody is being a fan of Venus theory? I am surprised. I mean is a sympathetic person and what it does is good quality but not somebody I would like up too....

For the rest I am on the same side as you. I like practical and straight to the point tutorials. The series on Avenger 2 on their channel is awesome and exactly that.

He paid for seminars with Andrew Huang as well. I don't really get it? He doesn't do music even close to the poppy electronica that Huang does, IMO hardly anything Huang imparts is a great help to him, but the smooth pitch sells I guess.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:49 pm
Jac459 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:14 am Whaou, somebody is being a fan of Venus theory? I am surprised. I mean is a sympathetic person and what it does is good quality but not somebody I would like up too....

He paid for seminars with Andrew Huang as well. I don't really get it? He doesn't do music even close to the poppy electronica that Huang does, IMO hardly anything Huang imparts is a great help to him, but the smooth pitch sells I guess.
Andrew Huang... I couldn't finish any of his videos (even when he was talking about Phase Plant!) so I can't judge... Not for me...

That being said, I don't blame YouTubers to try to monetise their exposure...

I don't see any reason that would make me interested though :-)...

Many moons ago i was electronics seller and i remember a psychologist we had to meet, to upgrade our skills said something i remember to this day:
- Each customer enter the store with different mood,emotions,problems,needs and understanding of what he/she/it needs...if you learn how to change his perception,you will become very good trader and you gonna sell well:)
The excellent seller do not convince you,that you need new tv when you have already 3,but... that,you don't have what he want to sell you - could be the 'best',the right you somehow miss,the newest,the fashion one...whatever you weakness is and seller could sense in conversation,so to gives you the driving emotion,cause people 90% of time buy emotionally stuff they actually don't need,following the emotional need and feelings,not the sober logic...i found this somehow as unfair manipulation,which it is actually,but that's how market works :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:10 pm Many moons ago i was electronics seller and i remember a psychologist we had to meet, to upgrade our skills said something i remember to this day:
- Each customer enter the store with different mood,emotions,problems,needs and understanding of what he/she/it needs desires found this somehow as unfair manipulation,which it is actually,but that's how market works :)
It can be simpler than that.
We were taught that every person comes in because of a fantasy they had, and doubt enters the moment they walk in the door. A closer simply reminds them of what their fantasy was before the doubt. If it's a family that comes in, then it's just about qualifying who has the fantasy and who has the power to help them realize it.

We also made a distinction between a clerk, a salesman, and a closer.

Agree that many things as tv or stereo system are not needs,but more like desires,but aggressive politic of sells is focused to convince you need it somehow...i am in that boat now with plugins...don't need more,but always after i watch some nice video in yt i start to think i missed and need this one on that price hahahah it is nice to have things you desire :) Cheers :)

eLawnMust wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:02 pm Back in 2001 Daniel Bedingfield made hit single 'Gotta Get Through This' using Making Waves Studio for like 70 bucks ended up being a hit single he made like 400 grand off it & those were dollars worth alot more than nowadays...
Making Waves was great. An ex-band mate released some of my Making Waves tracks on vinyl without telling me. Point of mentioning that is Making Waves allowed me to do release-level quality with nothing but a computer in an era where that was pretty challenging.

Man can do music with stick and stone,but it's better to use more advanced tools...
90% of songs i adore in the past sounds like garbage to me now,sound design of the synthetic instruments from 80s,90s and early 2000 are in best case mediocre from today point of view.
Studios have to start using services of advanced sound sound designers to catch up.
Cheers

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:06 pm Man can do music with stick and stone,but it's better to use more advanced tools...
90% of songs i adore in the past sounds like garbage to me now,sound design of the synthetic instruments from 80s,90s and early 2000 are in best case mediocre from today point of view.
Studios have to start using services of advanced sound sound designers to catch up.
Cheers
Women also.

What counts is the atmosphere and the emotions. Not everything has to be hyper sound designed. Overall feel and communication of the intention is probably even more important than the specific or latest sound design. Which tends to be more about fashion and copying others than substantial conveyance of something that provokes feeling, atmosphere, sentiment, reflection, euphoria, contemplation or connection with the listener.

Maybe sound design can enhance that but you need the feeling first.

Not sure I agree...
The 70s produced amazing music that still sounds top notch today.
Maybe the 80s had a fair amount of music that does sound outdated today sound-wise.
And to be fair, there is also A TON of really garbage music nowadays, stuff that feels very plastic, senseless, superficial.

Lots of people seem to feel that slapping some loops and mindless autotuned meaningless vocals constitute music.
I'd rather listen to Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Pearl Jam, Massive Attack, JJ Cale, Al Green, also Muse, and for a recent example of beautifully produced music, the underrated Sneaky Little Devil, a true gem of production imo.
https://www.youtube.com/@sneakylittledevil5866

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:06 pm Man can do music with stick and stone,but it's better to use more advanced tools...
Cheers

The only truth to this is there were some 80's hits where they overdid the digital reverb and new ability to crank the high and low end to a point to where the mixes sucked, but that's 100% the issue, early CD mixes could be really bad, but in no way was the equipment bad. Synclaviers and Farlights existed, and in no way were analog synths "worse". There's a reason we still see about half the industry pushing "analog" plugins.

machinesworking wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:46 pm .... There's a reason we still see about half the industry pushing "analog" plugins.
Well you are factually right, but this "reason" is a mystery to me....

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”