G.A.S.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This video by Venus Theory could be very useful for beginners imho. As a bit of a gear collector/hoarder myself, I agree with much of what he has to say in this vid ...

https://youtu.be/kJsVCFWchsw

:ud:

Nothing mind-blowing in his message, but he makes some very good points. I really agree with his comments regarding expensive purchases that you might not use very often, but that’s your f’ing prerogative so do it if that’s what makes you happy. For me personally, I have a lot of hardware gear, but I don’t buy or keep anything unless it has a purpose. Most of my hardware synths are used very regularly (daily or weekly). I have a few items that get used rarely, but I keep them around because they have a specific purpose or simply because I like owning them. I’m pretty good about weeding out the things I don’t want or need. My problem isn’t GAS, it’s SAS (software acquisition syndrome). It’s just too easy to take advantage of the never-ending sales, updates, upgrades, mega-bundles, etc. and accumulate way more than I could ever use. If I had a dollar for every plugin I’ve never used or haven’t opened in the past year, I’d probably have enough to buy a couple more hardware synths that I would use. :dog:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:53 amFor me personally, I have a lot of hardware gear, but I don’t buy or keep anything unless it has a purpose. Most of my hardware synths are used very regularly (daily or weekly). I have a few items that get used rarely, but I keep them around because they have a specific purpose or simply because I like owning them. I’m pretty good about weeding out the things I don’t want or need. My problem isn’t GAS, it’s SAS (software acquisition syndrome). It’s just too easy to take advantage of the never-ending sales, updates, upgrades, mega-bundles, etc. and accumulate way more than I could ever use. If I had a dollar for every plugin I’ve never used or haven’t opened in the past year, I’d probably have enough to buy a couple more hardware synths that I would use. :dog:
I’m also pretty rigid about my rule to only keep something that has a specific purpose. I just put up my Hydrasynth Deluxe because although it was a decent synth and controller, I have no purpose for it as a synth, and it’s more important to have a great controller. I only buy from dealers with good return policies, and if I love it and there’s nothing similar in my other instruments or software, it stays, otherwise, back it goes.

I don’t mind having a bit of S.A.S. I view it in a different way. I don’t think I have things that I’ve never used, but I do have things that are not in heavy rotation. Maybe they were at some point, but not now. I still install it, because sometimes I find it useful to go back and see what’s up with it. I did a whole bunch of sound effect stuff with Absynth last year, and other than the small UI, it’s still quite a powerhouse.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

cryophonik wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:53 am It’s just too easy to take advantage of the never-ending sales, updates, upgrades, mega-bundles, etc. and accumulate way more than I could ever use.
Skipping upgrades is a good place to start. Once I've skipped one, I find that skipping subsequent upgrades is easier, and I'm more productive because the things I know well aren't constantly changing.

If you need help controlling hardware spending, just get a wife.

Upgrading my Native Instruments & Orchestral Tools installs recently removed registering of new (or old) instruments on my OS ... should have left things alone. :shrug:

Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:27 am If you need help controlling hardware spending, just get a wife.
I have an amazing wife, but she encourages my hardware spending so it keeps me at home and helps her justify her shoes and purse purchases. :help:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:27 am
cryophonik wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:53 am It’s just too easy to take advantage of the never-ending sales, updates, upgrades, mega-bundles, etc. and accumulate way more than I could ever use.
Skipping upgrades is a good place to start. Once I've skipped one, I find that skipping subsequent upgrades is easier, and I'm more productive because the things I know well aren't constantly changing.

If you need help controlling hardware spending, just get a wife.
Not so in my case. Spouse also plays. Which means some hardware gets doubled. Though I do spend far less on guitars now. And wanting to sell certain things can be difficult... :?

Human beings will always want better and more. The only issue for me is space and funds :hihi:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

LOL.
The irony of youtube influencers who push junk on consumers, then telling us about G.A.S.
<List your stupid gear here>

No gear or plugin will replace the practise and soul you need to put it to make your music.
Time spent buying or downloading is time not spent writing performing and producing.
GAS time makes you good at GAS. Making music makes you good at making music.

egbert101 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:39 pm LOL.
The irony of youtube influencers who push junk on consumers, then telling us about G.A.S.
Plus, they're all doing these videos right now. It's not even an original idea.

cryophonik wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:41 am
Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:27 am If you need help controlling hardware spending, just get a wife.
I have an amazing wife, but she encourages my hardware spending so it keeps me at home and helps her justify her shoes and purse purchases. :help:
Same here, my wife let me total freedom and keep on being supportive and loving...

Man, having an amazing wife really sucks...

Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:11 pm
egbert101 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:39 pm LOL.
Plus, they're all doing these videos right now. It's not even an original idea.
Well, I wish him the best because he does put work in his videos. But .... I am only interested when he is reviewing stuffs, I don't need this kind of cheap philosophy speech. So I am basically out.

Jac459 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:22 pm Well, I wish him the best because he does put work in his videos. But .... I am only interested when he is reviewing stuffs, I don't need this kind of cheap philosophy speech. So I am basically out.
Yes, making good videos is hard and he is good at it. Plus, what a voice!

I was far more productive with a Tascam Portastudio, a Yamaha RX-11, 1 electric guitar, 2 acoustic guitars and a borrowed cheap Cort bass than I am now.
Other than my overndulgent, teen-fantasy bucket-list wish of a room full of guitars, I can't think of a lot of stuff that just sits there (and that doesn't just sit there), with the exception of a Røde NT-1 (an original from 1998!) and some guitar pedals that are currently inaccessable in our cellar locker. I look at my fleabay classified page, and see I've sold 69/70 things, mostly guitars. So, when it comes to gear, I'm not a packrat.
Software is something I've gotten a handle on, the last couple of years. There's very little in my plugin manager that isn't used in one way or another. But I won't sell stuff for pennies on the €. I don't have too much useless software. Mostly just dead software.

Right, just remembered: I have a Roland VS-880 that I paid over 3,000 CAD for in 1998. I can't bring myself to sell that for a hundred bucks.

For my output in the digital age, I can definitively say I've spent too much.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”