How to create a "finger snap" sound with synths?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys I'm looking for some advice on how to create finger snaps? It can be just the one "snap" since I can do two instances and pitch/pan them differently, as well as flam them.

Right now I'm creating a track with UAD PolyMAX for the OSC, and would really love to incorporate some snappier snaps for a quiet section, instead of a snare.

Thanks in advance! :love:
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

seafire wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:25 pm viewtopic.php?t=462894
Thanks for your reply. I did find that topic while searching before posting, but unfortunately the discussion doesn't go anywhere, and the videos are all unavailable.

Any other advice?
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

In general, I would start with a similar preset like a tom, then pitch it down two octaves and add a resonant highpass filter ~3-500Hz to emphasise the noise in the tail (snaps are noisy -- irregular waves) and give it some body :D ; tweak the envelope to reduce the Attack and Decay, no S or R; add a fairly dry drum reverb, and see where you are. Tricky one cuz even slight changes in the pitch, envelope or filter make a big difference. If that synth has a noise oscillator, that's another way.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

There are some good tutorials on making a clap sound, which is similar to a snap, and may be a good starting point. You may need a diff synth tho, to get the Attack transients right. (So not much help for the OSC)

cdbaksu wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:10 pm
seafire wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:25 pm viewtopic.php?t=462894
Thanks for your reply. I did find that topic while searching before posting, but unfortunately the discussion doesn't go anywhere, and the videos are all unavailable.

Any other advice?
Just sample and job done

Gam456 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:46 amJust sample and job done
Effective but not as fun :ud:

I think the trick with a finger snap is to realize that the essence of the sound is the resonant cavity in your hand where your fingers create a little hollow region right near where the finger impacts the palm. Try holding your ring finger and pinky away from your hand while snapping and notice how the essential character is gone. Then consider how to create a sharp noisy impulse and run it through something that will simulate a small resonant cavity. Maybe there will be two sounds, the quieter release of the finger from the thumb, which will probably not have as much resonant cavity sound, followed quickly by the louder, sharper snap with the resonance.

1) Buy Synplant 2
2) Sample finger snap
3) Load in to Synplant 2!
4) play with Synth parameters!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It has two main parts, the finger rubbing along the thumb, which can just be some EQ'd noise with the appropriate envelope, and the finger hitting the palm, which has a definite tone, but not as much as a snare drum. And a much faster envelope.

These sounds are quite hard to synthesize. But it can be done. The main problem is to get a sufficiently complex sound.

Allow not specifically showing a snap, this vid shows a lot of the tricks and tools you can use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhs36P1jY18&t=950s

Thanks, it was actually pretty easy to do once I got the proper guidance from some fine folks over at VI-C. You can check out the result in my latest OSC entry.

cdbaksu wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:27 amit was actually pretty easy to do once I got the proper guidance from some fine folks over at VI-C
Now that you've got the answer, it would be nice if you could share some of your know-how :wink:

Monsieur_FyP wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:17 pm
cdbaksu wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:27 amit was actually pretty easy to do once I got the proper guidance from some fine folks over at VI-C
Now that you've got the answer, it would be nice if you could share some of your know-how :wink:
https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-5482738

:tu:

Return to “Sound Design”