PNS discrete values as parameters?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a question about PNS parameters. it is possible to create parameters which have discrete values, rather than a range, and with text names associated with each discrete value...not only for the GUi itself, but also in terms of what the host will see for automation purposes?

So what I mean by that, let's say I have a parameter that I want to be a switch that switches between 4 modes, A, B, C and D. I went the DAW host to also display those 4 values A,B,C,D in the automation lane and be restricted to only those 4 discrete possible values.

I find that no matter what I have tried with PNS, I can create a control with 4 discrete values, it shows up in PNs appropriately, but up in the DAW for automation it still displays many more possible in between values and doesn't seem to recognize the fact I am constraining it to 4 possible values, nor the names associated with each one. Is it possible to do this? I am using DP11 at the moment.

I tried a sample with the built in plugin called baseline and sure enough I can automate say the 'octave" parameter and I get 3 possible discrete values, with their names and its all quite lovely. I haven't been able to find a 3rd party plugin yet that gives me that, so its quite possible this is a limitation of VST/AU interfacing, I'm not really sure, but I am just wondering what is possible with PNS in this regard
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Hi,

I don't remember if this was implemented (I think maybe for Audio Units), but all plug-in formats and hosts do not support discrete values anyway, so it is difficult to rely on this. However if you make sure that you properly round the input values, any automation that is close to the right value will be fine (and should display the correct value too).

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”